Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cut out weights on recovery weeks?
Quote | Reply
This ectomorph 61 year old is lifting weights a couple times a week to prevent age induced muscle loss, premature ageing... bla, bla, bla. This on top of pretty solid Olympic and Sprint distance training - 10 or more hrs/week. I have a hard time getting a handle on the stress weight lifting has on the body. Something I've always wondered - Should weights be cut out on recovery weeks?

Geoff from Indy
http://www.tlcendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cut out weights on recovery weeks? [geoffreydean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the first 20 years of my triathlon career I lifted weights every week unless I was tapering or recovering from a race. When I was in my mid-40's this became too much and I had to cut out or scale back the weight training during recovery weeks to allow my body enough recovery. In-season I cut out the weight training completely during recovery weeks, and in the offseason I scale back by about 50%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
id say let your body be the guide. Do you feel like you aren't recovered at the end of the recovery week?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I do not know the specific details of your strength training program, from a macro perspective strength training is no different from any other type of training. The plan should have periodization & cycles. The strength training program should include periods of recovery. If using weights, the recovery period is generally in the range of 50% of max. Also remember that strength training should focus on movements, not muscles, i.e. an upper body pressing movement rather than "chest" day.
Quote Reply
Re: Cut out weights on recovery weeks? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My body craves squats in the middle of 50 ironman distances in 50 days.
Quote Reply
Re: Cut out weights on recovery weeks? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
My body craves squats in the middle of 50 ironman distances in 50 days.

I love your Instagram. #squats #duckfaceselfie

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply