Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Custom Giant Trinity bridge: why I made a poor man's drill mill (picture)
Quote | Reply
Not fancy, but works. I need to smooth the edges to curved, later.

But now I can have any pad width I want within reason and any toe angle I want within reason by just loosening the underside screws. I also tapped the plate in more than one spot. So, you can leave the extensions bolted up and gain/lose about 1" of reach. If you unbolt the extensions you can rotate the plate 180 degrees and have another pair of fore aft reach coords. But I can still adjust reach via the poles also anyway.

Quote Reply
Re: Custom Giant Trinity bridge: why I made a poor man's drill mill (picture) [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love it! I might do something like that on mine to get reach out further and bars a little narrower.
Quote Reply
Re: Custom Giant Trinity bridge: why I made a poor man's drill mill (picture) [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks good, a cheap debur tool off amazon will help clean it up a bit.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Custom Giant Trinity bridge: why I made a poor man's drill mill (picture) [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For smoothing or ad-hoc we round corners with the 1" bench belt sander.
Then brush/finish using the green 3M scotch pad.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

But now I can have any pad width I want within reason and any toe angle I want within reason by just loosening the underside screws. I also tapped the plate in more than one spot. So, you can leave the extensions bolted up and gain/lose about 1" of reach. If you unbolt the extensions you can rotate the plate 180 degrees and have another pair of fore aft reach coords. But I can still adjust reach via the poles also anyway.

you should send this to carbon wasp as in a way this is what they should provide in their sale to make it a reall good bar out of the box . its a real good bar but they skimp a bit supplying more screws of different lengths and should provide a carbon bridge.
Quote Reply
Re: Custom Giant Trinity bridge: why I made a poor man's drill mill (picture) [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

you should send this to carbon wasp as in a way this is what they should provide in their sale to make it a reall good bar out of the box . its a real good bar but they skimp a bit supplying more screws of different lengths and should provide a carbon bridge.

Given their pricing being so competitive for what the product is, I would pay for it if offered separate.

To be fair, a lot of the companies offering stuff seem to go an "a la carte" method with their bars. Bars, fit accessories, etc... Wattshop may seem to be whatever price, but once you get totally all of what you really need....it's a fortune more.

In terms of finishing it, I don't plan to put much time into that. The point of the activity was to do a lot of aero testing faster and easier in the field and try to materialize gains. Then I would remove the custom bridge and have someone or myself make something that is much more elegant/aero and a single fixed position.

So max aero profile at the optimal fit. But I cannot do that until I've done all my field testing to determine the bar angle, toe angle, pad width, reach, and such. And this custom bridge gives me a lot more freedom to do that.

I feel like the adjustable tilt blocks and the custom bridge are a bit aerodynamically lazy compared to something a lot more svelte once I don't need to adjust.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i totally agree the built quality is excellent and there is a reason why a lot of tandem guys use them since they are so strong.
Quote Reply
Re: Custom Giant Trinity bridge: why I made a poor man's drill mill (picture) [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trimmed the edges. Also resolved a design flaw in Carbonwasp hardware. Before you had to cuss and pray to both align the angle bolts and remove them to alter the reach. As nice and affordable a system it is, that makes fast fit updates to do aero testing an absolute nightmare. As those bolts had to be removed fully to adjust reach meaning you screwed your tilt angle. I made an interface plate to go between top of tilt block and extensions so now reach and angle adjust separately. No more cussing. Adjust reach while keeping angle bolts in place. To adjust angle you do need to undo extensions from the interface plate, but that is 1000x simpler to do to adjust angle than before. Never need to remove the angle bolts also, meaning no cussing trying to get them threaded into the barrel nuts deep in the plate.

Pretty sure the new Wattshop angle plates do this.

Cut plate to be two individual sides, more aero and more safe without sharp edges. Still can adjust pad width and you can toe the extensions a lot.

Rider view:

Last edited by: burnthesheep: Oct 30, 22 17:17
Quote Reply