Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crystal Coast Racers
Quote | Reply
how did it go for the first year? course, support..etc chances it will survive?
Quote Reply
Re: Crystal Coast Racers [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it went well, especially for a 1st year race. I've done numerous 1st - 3rd year races that have gone off much, much, much worse. IMO they knocked it out of the park.

I've chatted with 2/3 of the owners as well as several staff at FS Series both race day and then a few days later over beers. Also with Kazem and Cid briefly. IMO they did a great job. It's very nice to go to a race that has that personal feel to it vs the you're just a number, get yours and get the F out of the way of the next person.

Mother Nature did them no favors with several cells of high winds (30+ mph) at times and rain that prohibited seeing further then about 50yds. Two of their workers were lifted into the air trying to hold down on of the blow up arches for run out or bike in. For the half it rained only later in the run (for me) with a few spots where I was almost blown over. It's so much fun to run into a headwind & rain that felt like you're getting pelted with BBs...ask me how I know hahaha!

Those 2 bridges out of transition are tough, with the winds my bike was rather twitchy....on the uphill. No Fing way was I getting into my aerobars going down those hills. Any one who did has much, much, much bigger cajones than I do or they are waaaaay dumber than I am. flip a coin. I'll go with A though.

If I was going to bet, I'd bet $500 that full is a one and done. The half comes back with some minor tweaks. If the race grows I'm not sure how long it can finish on Front St. It's a great finish area as there are several restaurants/bars along there for people to hang ou. You can't close front street, or not the whole area anyway, I don't think. If I was betting, I'd bet that it finishes around Pollock St. Too much parking along Front further W. At least 1 business owner was irritated although several others were happy with the influx early in the day.

They had people from 20 states in the race iirc, the Mayor was happy about it all, the RD crew seemed pretty upbeat about it and other than weather I didn't hear any complaints from racers or spectators.

I think it moves a weekend before or after Mother's Day. It's tough to get the 400 volunteers on that day in a city of 4500 especially since 40% didn't know what a tri was.

All in all while a logistical PIA for me coming from Tucson, I could see myself coming back for it!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: May 16, 19 18:28
Quote Reply
Re: Crystal Coast Racers [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it moves a weekend before or after Mother's Day.

-------

It cant either of those weekends as Beaufort host sailing events (boats from all over world come to Beaufort); IE the whole town goes all in for those events. It would have to be moved to end of April if it wants to nail down a annually weekend. May 2020 actually has an extra weekend post memorial weekend but most of time May is really bad for Beaufort events

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and FYI badass taking the W!!!!!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Crystal Coast Racers [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Sorry I didn't catch up with you while in Raleigh.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey thanks for the write up and congrats on the win. Was planning to do the half as its only 2hrs away but had to go up to CT for some family stuff. I was watching the weather and it did look brutal for you guys out there. Hope the full gains a little bit more momentum, ashamed that an independent full distance can't survive. Miss the old B2B
Quote Reply