Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Crowie DQ'd at Honu
Quote | Reply
I checked in on the Honu results and initially Crowie was listed as second. Now he's showing up as having been DQ'd. Wonder why. Couldn't find anything on the coverage.
Quote Reply
Re: Crowie DQ'd at Honu [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is speculation, but there was a picture of him with his sleeved tri top on underneath his speed suit. My understanding is that in non-wetsuit swims you have to have bare shoulders.

doctorironman.blogspot.com |
Quote Reply
Re: Crowie DQ'd at Honu [doc.blews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would suck. You'd think that if that was the issue they'd have told him so he could drop out of the race long ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doc.blews wrote:
This is speculation, but there was a picture of him with his sleeved tri top on underneath his speed suit. My understanding is that in non-wetsuit swims you have to have bare shoulders.

that sure seems nit picky if that's the reason.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://oi61.tinypic.com/30rmjus.jpg

Quote Reply
Re: Crowie DQ'd at Honu [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. If it was the reason, shouldn't he have been pulled before finishing the race? It seems wrong to let an athlete give that kind of effort only to DQ him.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
doc.blews wrote:

Rules are rules.

Quote | Reply
Clearly his shoulders were covered. I am a huge Crowie fan, but that is a clear rule violation.

In the old days you were never told of any violations until after the finish - the theory, and I personally like it, you don't get an easy way out by quitting early after a violation. Seemed to make rules stick much better than the yellow card progression we now use.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
doc.blews wrote:

Just so it's clear I'm a rules are the rules kinda guy. All I was saying was they could have told him during the bike or before the run so he didn't have to do the run. Or maybe they did tell him at some point during the run and that's why he seemed to fade, i.e. He started cruising it in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And, you can't challenge the call if you drop out.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something tells me this may turn out to be an untimely tweet.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doc.blews wrote:
I agree. If it was the reason, shouldn't he have been pulled before finishing the race? It seems wrong to let an athlete give that kind of effort only to DQ him.

Honu is very clear about this rule. Even if Craig was going with the angle that a kit can be worn under a swim skin, the officials in Hawaii are adamant that shoulders must be bare. Maybe Craig's suit was noticed by a competitor who, due to being involved in the race, didn't have time to file a challenge until afterward.
Quote Reply
Re: Crowie DQ'd at Honu [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no public comment or tweet from Crowie yet
Quote Reply
Re: Crowie DQ'd at Honu [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A fellow racer could have filed a protest about it. USA Triathlon Rules allow for a competitor to file a Protest within 60 minutes of finishing the race. A Protest can only be for Eligibility or Equipment. In this case, it would be equipment.

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: Crowie DQ'd at Honu [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rules are rules.

Steve,

I agree. Many don't seem to understand that at this level, the rules can get very nit-picky.

However, clearly, with sleeved skin-suits now starting to be worn by more Pros, and age-groupers and several manufacturers promoting these suits, perhaps it's time that the rules are revisited and looked at.

If you choose to wear one of these suits in a non-wetsuit swim, what are you to do?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Crowie DQ'd at Honu [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A teammate was DQ'd in college on the first turn of a 400 IM at our conference championships. He was so pissed that he had to suffer through all of the rest. He kept yelling "Why didn't they stop me?"

Nothing to do with this DQ, but I wonder if Crowie might feel the same?

Seems he should know the rules.
Quote Reply
Re: Crowie DQ'd at Honu [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious about the rationale behind this rule. Sleeves on the shoulders would only make you minimally faster in the water. Banning them is in opposition to recent campaigns about skin protection during triathlons. As a fair skinned athlete I would much prefer to have my shoulders covered during the swim.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many of us on ST wore long sleeves at kona last year. You roll down the top under your swim skin and then pull it on during T1.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We'll if they allowed sleeves you would just be asking why not full arms? Then it would be why not full legs? They have to draw lines somewhere, this just happens to be where the line is drawn. Really no excuse, he should absolutely know if this really is the reason for the DQ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
If you choose to wear one of these suits in a non-wetsuit swim, what are you to do?

They should do the same thing they did last year in Hawaii - roll the suits down for the swim and pull them up during T1.

Quote:
several manufacturers promoting these suits, perhaps it's time that the rules are revisited and looked at.

Why? Because a top-tier pro can't be bothered to follow the rules about bare shoulders?

Quote Reply
Re: Crowie DQ'd at Honu [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
In the old days you were never told of any violations until after the finish - the theory, and I personally like it, you don't get an easy way out by quitting early after a violation. Seemed to make rules stick much better than the yellow card progression we now use.

Imagine the massive distraction to the officials to issue a DQ during a race then have to deal with the long emotional conversation that is sure to follow.
Quote Reply
Re: Crowie DQ'd at Honu [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Honu rules are even more clear than thw WTC rules. Rather than distinguish between different types of clothing, it is clear that no clothing can cover beyond the shoulders or knees, this includes compression gear.

I imagine a number of pros today faced a philosophical choice. A pro who noticed Crowie's sleeved suit prior to the race start, had to choose between warning Craig, so Alexander could roll down the sleeved suit, but by not warning Craig, the other pro eliminated his competitor
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes that is the reason for the DQ, the rule is very clear on this one for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Crowie DQ'd at Honu [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why? Because a top-tier pro can't be bothered to follow the rules about bare shoulders?

No - not for this instance. Did you not read my post. What's done is done!

However, that does not mean that the rules can't be looked at, and changed.

However, as Monty just stated, we get out on on the slippery slope on this one quickly. What's a sleeve? How long is long? What material is on that sleeve? So maybe it's best left alone. But I am not an official, or rule expert. I'll leave that up to those officials and rule experts to consider and debate

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious about the rationale behind this rule. Sleeves on the shoulders would only make you minimally faster in the water. Banning them is in opposition to recent campaigns about skin protection during triathlons. As a fair skinned athlete I would much prefer to have my shoulders covered during the swim.

Totally agree.

We can't change the rules right now, nor change the ruling today - however, with the explosion of skin cancer( and I believe Craig has had a few pre-cancerous moles removed), one would think, the common-sense thing to do is to allow them. (But it could get tricky - see previous post)

But like some things, often the rules have to catch up with what's going on, and the practices out there.

Last edited by: Fleck: May 31, 14 16:30
Quote Reply

Prev Next