Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [sjroberts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since when did LSD training make anyone faster? I know a ton of guys that can ride 200 miles at 16mph. LSD training makes you slow. Speed work makes you fast. I believe in intensity and minimal "junk" miles...quality over quantity. Do I post a race resume now?? :)

Not necessarily joining the CF arguement, just the LSD arguement...although I do agree that triathletes as a whole don't approach our sport from a skill standpoint. When's the last time you "practiced" the skills of SBR???

david K
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [E_moto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya but they are dealing with the video game scared to play outside generation, it seems like in general they are used to being undisciplined and coddled and rewarded for small accomplishments. It doesn't surprise me at all that only 2 in the entire company could run under 18.

------------------------------
Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [E_moto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Crossfit has been pushed on my unit (1st Recon Battalion) very heavily in the past 2 years.
I think it is garbage.
PFT scores have dropped significantly, primarily on the run.
Also ruck running ability has dropped among the cross fit crowd, again due to the lack of getting out and doing long duration cardio.
In 06 before it really took hold there were probably 6-7 guys per 20 man platoon who ran under 18 minutes on the 3 mile, everyone was under 21:00 unless they had some kind of injury. I'd say more than 80% finished in under 20:00

Last time we ran a PFT only 2 people in the entire company ran under an 18 and scored a 300, myself (16:40) and a high 17 minute. Several people were in the 22-23 region. That would have been completely unacceptable in 2006...
The crossfit turds really think their method will help people in my occupations job performance. The numbers and events i see first had seem to prove the opposite.
If you do crossfit workouts as a side workout, just in addition to your normal training i think it can be good for some core and general strength maintanance.
20 minutes a day isnt going to help you carry a ruck for 3 hours over mountains. Nor will it help you in a 2-5 or 10 hour event.
As a former 0321/8541, hearing that only 2 guys in the whole company scored a 300 is a punch in my gut. If you cant go out and knock out a 300 on any given day...........then something is incredibly wrong. a 300PFT should be the "stepping off point", IMHO.

and hour of unit PT every morning at 0700, followed by a 5 mile run, chow, work. mile swim at 1100, chow, work, and then a 3 mile run or an hour in the gym in the evening was our garrison routine. You couldnt even get INTO sniper school if you didnt have perfect scores: PFT/pros-cons.

Well, sounds like you need to get in there and cut out the dead wood,
I am getting out in a few months, but i did what i could. I had the fittest team in my company by far. We won every ruck event last year and no one was below a 285.

When i went through RTP we got fucking killed. Our head cadre was the first Marine across the line at the 2006 Armed Forces Tri Challenge at pt magu and won the overall at the 2004 superfrog(4:2x). Needless to say, we ran and swam a lot. If you couldnt post a 285 or above after the swim screening there was no way you earned a slot to leave RTP and go to BRC.
Last year we had guys show up from the new BRC running 250's or worse.
We sent some turds to SS last year too... oh and it's 0317 not 8541 now haha. That course is changed too. Dumbed down the mission planning week, no more all nighters writing patrol orders.
Even with a 90k bonus for SGT's my platoon had a 0% retention rate after last deployment.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [PDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Since when did LSD training make anyone faster?

Again, I think it goes back to your definition of "LSD." But if you need an example, like I mentioned before, take a look at Peter Snell and Arthur Lydiard. Peter will be the first to say their 20-mile runs weren't "slow," but they weren't blisteringly fast either. Did they make him faster? He won the gold medal in the 800m with a 1:44 or a 1:43.

For reference, I believe the fastest American 800m guy right now (still competing), I believe has a 1:43:3 (? Khadevis Robinson). We'll see, though, Nick Symmonds (who regularly runs 50-mile weeks), might top that this year. Either way, Peter Snell's time would've put him in gold medal contention at Beijing this past year.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [tsmagnum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it interesting how one article can be taken so out of context. First of all it doesn't state that 'endurance athletes don't know how to train', nor does it state that 'Macca' has something to learn. It simply gives a point of view on another way to train. Of all the postings I've read there have been no crossfitters represented. So, for the record, I use crossfit and it is a very powerful training tool. I wouldn't say that using crossfit will guarantee you win in Kona, but simply understanding how to exceed your own personal limitations and perform better than you hoped with less time and distance.

Here's what I've learned from DOING it:
1) You can recover much faster (or require no recovery time at all)
2) You can race faster than ever before (I have PR'd in every race that I have actually 'raced' since starting this type of training)
3) You can run marathon distances and never train double digit mileage (and finish stronger and faster than ever before, despite the widely held belief that you must follow a pyramid running scheme consisting of at least one 20 miler)
4) You don't need hours and hours and hours of training (in fact, in previous training programs I have put in incredible mileage and weight training with a result of chronic injury and poor performance)

Every individual is different, but I've yet to see a crossfit athlete who didn't experience what I describe above. Maybe instead of arguing the validity of the article you should try the crossfit style of training and then make your judgments.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [tsmagnum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are lots of these crossfit guys at my gym, it is currently very popular as are the tattoos that make them look like Queequeg from Moby Dick. In a couple of years I predict both will be significantly less popular. At least they can stop doing crossfit workouts and go on to the next thing, but they will unfortunately all be stuck with those tattoos. Perhaps there will be able to find work as harpoon-men on whaling boats.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [need4speed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And what do you say to the women that employ this training strategy?
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [longjul76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And what do you say to the women that employ this training strategy?

Good bye and good luck.

Sexy in their 20's, talk to me in 30 years though.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, Brian MacKenzie, of CrossFit Endurance, does have a solid background and knowledge in published studies and training programs. His knowledge base and understanding covers all aspects of training. CFE is not a new trend it is a new approach to training. Transitioning to this type of training will take time because its different and not like anything many people have done in the past or like what other people are doing to train. Its going against the grain and a new approach to training. Athletes are scared to add muscle. The strength (crossfit) aspect is one new part and reworking their thinking/philosophy on training takes time. Change of any kind sucks and takes work which is why people don’t like change. Its not just changing the outlook on training additionally its change of movement patterns, nutrition, and understanding recovery. Until you have given this a committed chance you shouldn’t be discounting it. There are not the top level athletes as of yet because it is a relatively new program. Its just a matter of time. The results that are being seen by people using this method (including myself) are hard to dispute.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [Will132] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Catra Corbett is in her mid 40's.. She is in very nice shape.

trailgirl.blogspot.com

------------------------------
Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [Kaitlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
First, Brian MacKenzie, of CrossFit Endurance, does have a solid background and knowledge in published studies and training programs. His knowledge base and understanding covers all aspects of training. CFE is not a new trend it is a new approach to training. Transitioning to this type of training will take time because its different and not like anything many people have done in the past or like what other people are doing to train. Its going against the grain and a new approach to training. Athletes are scared to add muscle. The strength (crossfit) aspect is one new part and reworking their thinking/philosophy on training takes time. Change of any kind sucks and takes work which is why people don’t like change. Its not just changing the outlook on training additionally its change of movement patterns, nutrition, and understanding recovery. Until you have given this a committed chance you shouldn’t be discounting it. There are not the top level athletes as of yet because it is a relatively new program. Its just a matter of time. The results that are being seen by people using this method (including myself) are hard to dispute.

Assume you're the same Kaitlin from CFE?

Can you give us examples of people that have used pure CFE approach for distance (IM/Marathons) events? I'd be interested to hear peoples opinions. What I have seen is a number of people that have modified the CFE approach and included longer sessions.

To me, CFE is to IM, as BMX racing is to the Tour. Both good exercises, but being good at one won't make you good at the other.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [longjul76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should maybe go back and reread this thread, there were a lot of cross fit people who wrote in saying it was a nice system, but wasn't the end all be all of performance.

If you guys found a system that works for you that you enjoy, that's wonderful. Personally, I enjoy almost every single s/b/r training I do, and that's why I'm involved in the sport. I'm not interested in spending only 20 minutes a day training in the gym then going out and racing. Weights are great in the offseason, and helped me get over a bunch of injuries that I'm sure you guys would agree come from too much specificity, but until your method starts producing world class athletes, I wouldn't claim that it's better than the prevailing wisdom.

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [bachorb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last time I checked you guys were posting pictures of Lance swinging kettlebells and talking about how cutting edge he was and how it was his "secret weapon" or some other such non-sense. Last time I checked those were the fundamental to all CrossFit programs.

There is no doubt in my mind that by throwing in some CrossFit into your weekly regiment is going to help your overall fitness and enable you to go faster, even at the pinnicale of the sport. CrossFit is about stronger core and pushing yourself as hard as possible for short durations. Everyone of us can learn something from that proto. That said, CrossFit should not be the center of a long distance tri-training program.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [Karaya0321] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that says more about recruiting for our military forces than anything else.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [centermiddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Last time I checked you guys were posting pictures of Lance swinging kettlebells and talking about how cutting edge he was and how it was his "secret weapon" or some other such non-sense. Last time I checked those were the fundamental to all CrossFit programs.

There is no doubt in my mind that by throwing in some CrossFit into your weekly regiment is going to help your overall fitness and enable you to go faster, even at the pinnicale of the sport. CrossFit is about stronger core and pushing yourself as hard as possible for short durations. Everyone of us can learn something from that proto. That said, CrossFit should not be the center of a long distance tri-training program.
Go take a look at CFE though, to them its all or nothing, there's no "fitting in some CFE workouts". I just can't see how that approach would work for an endurance event.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why don't you argue with someone who believes what you seem to think I believe because I do not believe that.

You seem to want to argue with someone who thinks a slow guy can't be a good coach.

That isn't me. I just think this crossfit guy is a crock of shit because HE holds HIMSELF up as an example of why his crossfit ideas are powerful, when in fact HE is an example of a slow triathlete. Something that I can do with my patented system of "dont swim at all, barely bike, run a lot, all of it LSD except for 1 fast day per wee"

He is going to need to hold up someone else he has trained as an example of his system being interesting.

In Reply To:
I know it's very, very hard for many people to wrap their heads around, but being fast isn't a prerequisite to being a good coach. If so there might be 3 good coaches out there.

Who said 11:XX wasn't fast for him. What if he was a 15:00 IMer prior. What if that guy was a 8hr marathoner?

Maybe it would be helpful for us if you defined what fast is, so we can define what good coaching is.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [PDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a bike? probably nobody.
Running? lots of legends in the sport.

since, once you get off the bike and run, you are running slow (for you)

good to train the pace you race right? =)

In Reply To:

Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Cali guys drink the Kool-Aide pretty hard. Out here in Seattle they are not so dogmatic. My CrossFit coach knows a lot about training protos, physiology, nutrition and periodization. I'm proud he is on "my team" because he adds value far in excess of what I pay him for my 1 hour a week sessions.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
On a bike? probably nobody.
Running? lots of legends in the sport.

since, once you get off the bike and run, you are running slow (for you)

good to train the pace you race right? =)

In Reply To:

I always thought it was best to train at the pace you can best recover from.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [Kaitlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well when you have taken some guys from 11 hour ironmans to 10 hours, or 10 to 9, let us know!

In Reply To:

Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i dunno that is really a very complex idea if you think about it.

But I am intruiged by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter!

That is if I ever start putting in enough hours for these details to really matter for me =)

I'm not even working out as much as the crossfit guys! for shame

In Reply To:
I always thought it was best to train at the pace you can best recover from.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, please send $99.99 in a money order daily for the next month to an address TBD. Also, to subscibe to my ideas you have to have at least 8 piercings and receive botox injections to your ass at least twice a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
1) You can recover much faster (or require no recovery time at all)
I would just like to point out that while you may be able to recover faster, the part (in parenthesis) is physiologically impossible. Furthermore, since Crossfit advises a lowered training volume, allbeit at higher intensity, you are likely recovering faster because you are recovering longer. 20hr vs 10 hrs is a lot of additional recovery time.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CFE is programed for the masses so yes there may be some who have modified CFE to meet their specific needs or an upcoming race. Needed modifications are the difference between following the site and personally contacting Brian or Carl (or a trainer with knowledge of the system and how it works) for a personally tailored program based on your needs and race schedule. Following CFE as designed 100% and not adding to it will make you a faster triathlete. The comparison of CFE to IM as BMX is to the tour is not accurate.
Centermaddy Throwing in some CrossFit into your schedule isn't following the program by design so you won't experience all of the benefits as following it as prescribed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Centermaddy Throwing in some CrossFit into your schedule isn't following the program by design so you won't experience all of the benefits as following it as prescribed.

lol...that sounded like something that would come out of the Church of Scientology! ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next