Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cross-training for running focused year
Quote | Reply
Guys,
I’m looking for some training advice and would appreciate your thoughts and feedback.
After doing 5 IMs in the last 10 years, I have decided to dedicate 2020 to improve my marathon. My last open marathon was in 2010 with 3:59:00, so there is lots of room for improvement.
I have a training plan, that I’m happy with, and will be running 7-10 hours a week. My question is where will be best to spend my limited cross-training hours (~3 hours). I’ll gladly drop swimming so I have two options in mind:
Option#1 - Bike
Use the 3 available hours to maintain/improve my biking skills. The advantages are:

• Allow me to (at least) keep my biking shape

• Vo2 workouts with limited injury risk

• Enjoyable (group rides) and convenient (trainer)

Option#2 - Weights
Use the 3 available hours to do 3 x 1 hours gym workouts:

• Strength - support running training

• Stability - support running training

Recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: Cross-training for running focused year [zivp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
option # 3

1) 2hrs of strength and stability work each week (you'll need it)
2) 1hr of easy recovery spinning each week, spread out to aid in recovery from biggest workouts
Quote Reply
Re: Cross-training for running focused year [zivp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have highlighted what I would do below. I really like the idea of putting VO2 max workouts on the bike, and I do this myself. However, I think with how many miles you will be running, you really need to be doing stability/support muscle crosstraining.

zivp wrote:
Guys,

I’m looking for some training advice and would appreciate your thoughts and feedback.
After doing 5 IMs in the last 10 years, I have decided to dedicate 2020 to improve my marathon. My last open marathon was in 2010 with 3:59:00, so there is lots of room for improvement.
I have a training plan, that I’m happy with, and will be running 7-10 hours a week. My question is where will be best to spend my limited cross-training hours (~3 hours). I’ll gladly drop swimming so I have two options in mind:
Option#1 - Bike
Use the 3 available hours to maintain/improve my biking skills. The advantages are:

• Allow me to (at least) keep my biking shape

• Vo2 workouts with limited injury risk

• Enjoyable (group rides) and convenient (trainer)

Option#2 - Weights
Use the 3 available hours to do 3 x 1 hours gym workouts:

• Strength - support running training

• Stability - support running training

Recommendations?

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply