Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Crock Pot for Waxing
Quote | Reply
Decided to try waxing my chain. Had an old crock pot at the house.

Turned it on to high, added the wax. Waited about 1/2 hr, the pot itself was lukewarm but the heating section underneath was red hot so I know it's working. After 50 minutes or so, the pot was still lukewarm and the candles hadn't melted at all. Is this typical or do I need a new crockpot.

Whenever we used the crockpot in the past, we would always cooking something for 5-6 hours so never noticed how long it took to warm the pot up.
Quote Reply
Re: Crock Pot for Waxing [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine has everything melted in an hour for sure... the model I usehttps://www.target.com/...13388362#lnk=sametab[/url]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a new one. They are cheap and that one is not working the way it should.
Quote Reply
Re: Crock Pot for Waxing [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You said melting a candle.

Think surface area. Maybe buy a cheapo cheese grater and grate the wax before heating it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on the title I thought this thread was going in a completely different direction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My cheap one from Walmart melts half a bag of Molten Speed Wax in an hour and reaches 200ºF around 15 minutes later.
Quote Reply
Re: Crock Pot for Waxing [BJones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BJones wrote:
Based on the title I thought this thread was going in a completely different direction.

Me too. I'm disappointed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
Is this typical or do I need a new crockpot.

Get a mini deep fryer and use the wire basket that comes with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a $20 rice cooker. I just let the wax re-solidify into a big block and dont need to break it up next time. I just turn it on and it melts the wax in 10 min.

Does the crock pot have different settings? Sounds like it is on low.
Quote Reply
Re: Crock Pot for Waxing [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was on high. The base of it was really hot, the heat just didn't transfer to the pot too well. After 40 min I pulled the pot out and dumped the candles in the base. They melted pretty quickly but there was hole in the base. Wax started to melt out through it so plugged it with a bolt. Everything was melting nicely, looked under the base and there was wax seeping through 3-4 different areas so I turned it off.

Just bought a new crock pot. Will see how it works tonight.
Quote Reply
Re: Crock Pot for Waxing [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
mattr wrote:
Is this typical or do I need a new crockpot.

Get a mini deep fryer and use the wire basket that comes with it.

That's a great idea. For $20 you get way quicker warmup, a decent thermostatic control plus the basket to get the chain out more easily.

Thanks,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Jun 14, 19 8:04
Quote Reply
Re: Crock Pot for Waxing [BJones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BJones wrote:

"KELLY CLARKSON!"

(quote from 40 Year Old Virgin)
Quote Reply
Re: Crock Pot for Waxing [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
BJones wrote:

"KELLY CLARKSON!"

(quote from 40 Year Old Virgin)

Hah!! I see what you did there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:

Turned it on to high, added the wax. Waited about 1/2 hr, the pot itself was lukewarm but the heating section underneath was red hot so I know it's working. After 50 minutes or so, the pot was still lukewarm and the candles hadn't melted at all. Is this typical or do I need a new crockpot.

Whenever we used the crockpot in the past, we would always cooking something for 5-6 hours so never noticed how long it took to warm the pot up.

Wow, maybe I should time it but even an hour (as lots of people mention) seems really long.
I use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/...le?ie=UTF8&psc=1

From a puck to molten...I'd be super surprised if it takes more than 30 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Crock Pot for Waxing [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
It was on high. The base of it was really hot, the heat just didn't transfer to the pot too well. After 40 min I pulled the pot out and dumped the candles in the base. They melted pretty quickly but there was hole in the base. Wax started to melt out through it so plugged it with a bolt. Everything was melting nicely, looked under the base and there was wax seeping through 3-4 different areas so I turned it off.

Just bought a new crock pot. Will see how it works tonight.

Wait, you took the ceramic pot out of the heating element container and dumped the wax back in? Were you surprised when the wax melted out the bottom ? I'd say you're lucky to avoid a house fire.

In any case a slow cook crock pot is one of those things that you leave on all day and the heavy ceramic pot holds and moderates the heat. Get an el-cheapo rice cooker

- much quicker.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:

Reminds me, I need to do mine this weekend too. I just use a $10 stovetop pot from walmart and the big blocks of paraffin canning wax. Melts in 15min at medium-low heat. Also, after you get it all waxed up, pull your chain out and put it on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil and a couple paper towels. Then turn your oven on the lowest setting (~170F) and let the residual wax drip off. All you need is the thinnest of films; that extra wax just ends up everywhere. Granted, it's way easier to clean up than greasy lube, but it takes the mess to about 10%.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Last edited by: domingjm: Jun 14, 19 13:17
Quote Reply
Re: Crock Pot for Waxing [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
You said melting a candle.

Think surface area. Maybe buy a cheapo cheese grater and grate the wax before heating it.

Oh god, that sounds like a huge mess and headache.

Quote Reply
Re: Crock Pot for Waxing [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am amazed how inventive people are at taking a quick, cheap, no mess process and making it harder, time consuming, messier and a pain in the arse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
mattr wrote:

Reminds me, I need to do mine this weekend too. I just use a $10 stovetop pot from walmart and the big blocks of paraffin canning wax. Melts in 15min at medium-low heat. Also, after you get it all waxed up, pull your chain out and put it on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil and a couple paper towels. Then turn your oven on the lowest setting (~170F) and let the residual wax drip off. All you need is the thinnest of films; that extra wax just ends up everywhere. Granted, it's way easier to clean up than greasy lube, but it takes the mess to about 10%.

Cool. Thx for sharing. I will try that next time!
Quote Reply
Re: Crock Pot for Waxing [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
I am amazed how inventive people are at taking a quick, cheap, no mess process and making it harder, time consuming, messier and a pain in the arse.

Or you could try warming up the wax in the clothes dryer for a couple minutes. Tumble dry on low. 😉

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used the new crock pot today. Still took an hour to melt everything but maybe the candles had to melt and they weren't fully contacting the bottom. Will see once it cools and I use it again. If it's still an hour, I'll get a rice cooker.

Cleaned the chain in an ultrasonic cleaner. About 50% water 50% simple green. Cleaner for 20 min. Washed off and wiped it down. Put it in the wax for about an hour (forgot about it while watching a movie). When I went to pull it out, the liquid wax was a dirty color. Assuming whatever grease/dirt was still in the chain leaked out into the wax? Pulled the chain out, hung it up and gave it a quick wipe down once. Seemed to be a bit of dirt/grease on the shirt I used.
Is this typical?
Did the wax force the grease out of the chain and that's why the crock pot is dirty?
If I wax again in a couple of weeks, can I re-use the wax or is it dirty now and should put some clean wax in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
Used the new crock pot today. Still took an hour to melt everything but maybe the candles had to melt and they weren't fully contacting the bottom. Will see once it cools and I use it again. If it's still an hour, I'll get a rice cooker.

Cleaned the chain in an ultrasonic cleaner. About 50% water 50% simple green. Cleaner for 20 min. Washed off and wiped it down. Put it in the wax for about an hour (forgot about it while watching a movie). When I went to pull it out, the liquid wax was a dirty color. Assuming whatever grease/dirt was still in the chain leaked out into the wax? Pulled the chain out, hung it up and gave it a quick wipe down once. Seemed to be a bit of dirt/grease on the shirt I used.
Is this typical?
Did the wax force the grease out of the chain and that's why the crock pot is dirty?
If I wax again in a couple of weeks, can I re-use the wax or is it dirty now and should put some clean wax in?

I've never experienced any discoloring of the wax. And I've used the same wax for about 10 different chains. I don't know, it's probably fine. Were you absolutely positive to rinse all of the simple green off before you put it in the wax? If it was me, I'd redo it using this protocol.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let the wax in the crock pot cool and harden. Looked at it this morning. It is a tan color vs. the white wax I put in originally.

Waxed 2 chains. Both were used. Cleaned both in the ultrasonic cleaner with 50/50 water/simple green then washed in water and wiped down with a rag.

Waxed the 1st chain then dropped in the 2nd to wax. When i went to pull the 2nd chain out, I couldn't see the chain the wax was so dirty/dark?

Let both chains dry. Installed the first chain on my tri bike. Turned the crank for a few minutes to loosen the chain up. The little pieces of wax falling off all look a little dirty. Should I strip the wax off the chain and try to clean again using MSPEEDWAX protocol you linked? Would the mineral spirits strip the wax off or do I need to use something else?

Was my first time using the ultrasonic cleaner also. Should I be running it for a while then dumping the dirty simple green, add fresh simple green and clean again. Essentially do the mspeedwax steps but in the ultrasonic cleaner. I thought the logic behind the ultrasonic cleaner was it got all the dirt/gunk in the nooks an cranies out vs. just shaking the chain in a bottle full of mineral spirits but maybe I need to do a 2-3 step clean process?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
Let the wax in the crock pot cool and harden. Looked at it this morning. It is a tan color vs. the white wax I put in originally.

Waxed 2 chains. Both were used. Cleaned both in the ultrasonic cleaner with 50/50 water/simple green then washed in water and wiped down with a rag.

Waxed the 1st chain then dropped in the 2nd to wax. When i went to pull the 2nd chain out, I couldn't see the chain the wax was so dirty/dark?

Let both chains dry. Installed the first chain on my tri bike. Turned the crank for a few minutes to loosen the chain up. The little pieces of wax falling off all look a little dirty. Should I strip the wax off the chain and try to clean again using MSPEEDWAX protocol you linked? Would the mineral spirits strip the wax off or do I need to use something else?

Was my first time using the ultrasonic cleaner also. Should I be running it for a while then dumping the dirty simple green, add fresh simple green and clean again. Essentially do the mspeedwax steps but in the ultrasonic cleaner. I thought the logic behind the ultrasonic cleaner was it got all the dirt/gunk in the nooks an cranies out vs. just shaking the chain in a bottle full of mineral spirits but maybe I need to do a 2-3 step clean process?

Yeah, the chains are definitely not clean enough when you're putting them in the wax. I've waxed used chains, which were originally lubed and VERY grimy; I always managed to get them spotless and white-rag-stain-free before I put them into the ethanol. Both the ethanol and wax are still colorless after about 15 chain waxes. My guess is that the hot wax displaced most of your chain's grime, and that your wax job is sufficient for your purposes. In another post, I mentioned putting the chain in the oven. I'd do that so you don't have all those loose pieces all over the place. And I'd definitely do that before/if you try to re-clean and reapply the wax.

I've never used an ultrasonic cleaner or simple green so I can't answer those questions, but a few hours and a few shakes in mineral spirits left no grease or grime behind. If the mineral spirits won't ruin your ultrasonic cleaner, I'd definitely try that combo for your next chain cleaning. I'm not sure what solubilizes paraffin, but a quick google search should give you the answer.

Last edited by: domingjm: Jun 17, 19 9:53
Quote Reply

Prev Next