Quote | Reply
How is my setup
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position [Jmcn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you see down the road in that position?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Upper body looks good. Your seat seems a bit high; your leg is over-extended at 6:00 and you are reaching for the pedal.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks will look at saddle height, bike has 172.5 cranks was thinking of going shorter any reason to or not to?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The main benefit of shorter cranks is that you are not as closed off at the top of the pedal stroke (downside is sprinting...not really an issue for tris). It's an expensive switch (esp. if a power meter is involved), so if you can test 165s on something like a Kickr bike first it's ideal.

Looking at your knee angle, it's 147deg (which isn't bad) now that I protractor it but you are having to ankle down quite a bit to not overextend. Try dropping saddle height 0.5cm and see how that feels.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Feb 10, 20 15:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lower the saddle, bigger the frame.

What distance/discipline are you racing?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the upside/downside framing for completely inappropriate crank length.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Training for my first 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

No everyone is sold on short (>= 165mm) cranks. I don't think 172.5s are unequivocally bad (same can be said for 155s).

-These are the stock cranks for this bike. MFGs aren't typically shipping their bikes with shorter cranks (even top-of-the-line models). Let's assume they are rational actors.

-Amongst the top pros, the majority are not on short cranks: https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Bike_Gear_7546.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am pushing every customer to 165 or shorter.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the comments guys will lower the seat a little and work on rotating the pelvis, but a bigger frame is out of the question, may look at cranks later down the road but the current ones feel ok, any other suggestions to be made?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

No everyone is sold on short (>= 165mm) cranks. I don't think 172.5s are unequivocally bad (same can be said for 155s).

-These are the stock cranks for this bike. MFGs aren't typically shipping their bikes with shorter cranks (even top-of-the-line models). Let's assume they are rational actors.

-Amongst the top pros, the majority are not on short cranks: https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Bike_Gear_7546.html

Everything you said is wrong! This is not a dog against you, just they way things are...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the guys in your link are actually using really short cranks considering their height.

OP: saddle is a bit high, maybe lower it and do 165 mm cranks. I never really understand the "get a bigger frame" for a size or two bigger of the same make/model of a fairly adjustable bike like P2, what is wrong with a longer stem, risers, etc.? Sure, it will handle a bit different, but for most 70.3 bike courses, this shouldn't be a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Yes, bike manufacturers are rational actors. Certainly in the sense that they know the vast majority of their clients are going to shitty bike fitters who have zero understanding of the benefits of shorter cranks, and even worse, have no process to help a rider find the limit of their existing cranks. A very small percentage of fitters are presenting short cranks options as part of a process, so very few riders are self selecting better lengths, so manufacturers have not yet had to respond very much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There’s no issue working with your current bike. Make small adjustments and go from there.

I wouldn’t put much stock in Eric’s opinion of needing a bigger bike. He says that to every fit thread and would put most people on a bike to big.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position [Alwaysrunning99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alwaysrunning99 wrote:
There’s no issue working with your current bike. Make small adjustments and go from there.

I wouldn’t put much stock in Eric’s opinion of needing a bigger bike. He says that to every fit thread and would put most people on a bike to big.

Eric doesn't put riders on incorrect bikes. He does understand more about world class aerobar fitting than virtually anyone else you can find. He puts riders on the longest bike he can that is still low enough. This will result in both a better handling bike and a more aero bike. It's a solid approach. I agree this rider could work with the bike they have, but also if we did a pre purchase fit on the fit bike, we would probably be looking at bigger bikes.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Feb 11, 20 6:33
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And what if long isn’t the right answer for everyone?

I have never seen him give advice that didn’t include really stretching a rider out. There’s many outstanding athletes with great bike fits that are not stretched out. And if they would have taken advice from Eric their bike would be too big.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Everything you said is wrong! This is not a dog against you, just they way things are...

I think you watched The Last Jedi one time too many.

No one is going to convince you that short cranks aren't always the right answer. That is your viewpoint. There are other folks in the industry with other viewpoints.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

I think you watched The Last Jedi one time too many.

No one is going to convince you that short cranks aren't always the right answer. That is your viewpoint. There are other folks in the industry with other viewpoints.

This isn’t really about “short” cranks. They’re not always right. Optimal cranks on the other hand...

Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position [Alwaysrunning99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alwaysrunning99 wrote:
And what if long isn’t the right answer for everyone?

I have never seen him give advice that didn’t include really stretching a rider out. There’s many outstanding athletes with great bike fits that are not stretched out. And if they would have taken advice from Eric their bike would be too big.

I’m not saying bigger frame to get him longer... he’s already long. I’m saying bigger frame because of the spacers under his stem that indicate his frame is too small.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He has like one spacer under his stem.....

ART, MDT, DNS, MPI, FST
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position [tri_big_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_big_boy wrote:

I’m not saying it doesn’t work, I’m saying a bigger bike, which would be one spacer’s worth higher, would be perfect.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
tri_big_boy wrote:

I’m not saying it doesn’t work, I’m saying a bigger bike, which would be one spacer’s worth higher, would be perfect.

Wait. So when someone comes on here looking for sound advice, your response is get a bigger bike to remove spacers?

The man or anyone posting a video here just wants a few pointers. Unless it is truly impossible don’t just go around telling people they need a new bike so they can have a slammed stem.
Quote Reply

Prev Next