Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Critique my position (20km TT-position)
Quote | Reply
After reading through several threads I have decided to see were my possibilities for improved positions are. :)

I do not have a video but three photos from 22km TT race. Power is good in this position but would always like to go faster.

Race data: 21.8 km - avg. speed: 46.5 - power: 386W avg.

Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position (20km TT-position) [roa11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
386w is very good.
But 46,5 km/h with that wattage seems good also.

If I was forced to say something I would say your head sticks out a bit, you could turn your body around the bracket (lowering and forward moving the pads), but I do not know you have possibilities for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roa11 wrote:
... would always like to go faster.

...avg. speed: 46.5 - power: 386W avg.

I hate you.

Looks like you need a bigger bike.

<edit> also a different saddle might help roll the hips forward.
Last edited by: MattyK: Jun 8, 20 4:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try pulling your head down (towards your arms) and crushing your neck with your shoulders.

To lower your head It helps to try and look out the tops of your eyes. This will be uncomfortable and not sure it is trainable to be comfortable. However, you can also peak when needed (raising head a bit to look more forward than up). To turtle a bit I find it helpful to try and rotate my head back. i.e. rotate your chin towards your hands.

The shrugging bit is painful, but 20K at your speeds you'll likely not even need to train this other than to know what it feels like. my technique which also helps lower my head is push my shoulders up, rotate that chin, and push my head down towards my forearms. for spatial reference I am inferring one is attempting this in a Time Trial position. That is, up is towards the sky. Therefore, if you're sitting at your desk right now and you place your elbows together as well as your hands in front of your face, then pushing up would entail pushing your shoulders away from the computer screen.

It's pretty natural once you figure it out. Good luck and sweet machine!!

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should probably provide a few more pieces of info.

Height and mass?
Type of course (out-and-back, loop, or others)?
Elevation? Picture looks like American West to me, either Colorado or perhaps Northern or Southern Ca/Nv.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position (20km TT-position) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response so far.

Height: 191cm
Weight: 80kg

Courses here in Iceland are always out and back, with total elevation under 150m total and surface here is really course.

This position is UCI legal but that is not a must if there are changes that could improve aerodynamics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In that case, echoing the posters above, definitely try to keep your head lower. 46.5 kph is fast, no doubt, but head position (and/or perhaps helmet selection) could be optimized

Also, make sure that the front skewer is parallel to the ground. Probably minimal gains there, but it certainly looks faster :)

One last question, what's the air pressure on the day of this event? You can play with a lot of the various factors here
Last edited by: echappist: Jun 8, 20 7:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roa11 wrote:

CdA ~.24 with a Crr of .005.

Being tall and long legged isn't helping you with aero drag.

What tires and pressures? Latex tubes?

You might try and emulate what this guy is doing, even if you need to raise your pads some. It really helps to have bars that are easy to adjust.

Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position (20km TT-position) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When the course is straight, safe and clear, I tuck in and keep my head down most of the time.
I count to 8 or 10 depending on speed and road condition, lift my head up to see what's ahead, put my head back down, count again and repeat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
One last question, what's the air pressure on the day of this event? You can play with a lot of the various factors here

I can not find historical data on air pressure for this location but thanks for the site.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position (20km TT-position) [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
roa11 wrote:

CdA ~.24 with a Crr of .005.

Being tall and long legged isn't helping you with aero drag.

What tires and pressures? Latex tubes?

Brand new GP5000 with latex tubes.

Thanks for the photo I will see what I can do to raise the pads higher to simulate a position like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question regarding skin suits.

This is the Bio Racer Speedwear TT suit (link)

Is this suit out dated? If so what other suits would you recommend?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position (20km TT-position) [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you catch the stack of spacers he already has? Shiv TT is a sweet rig, but that thing is silly low in the larger sizes.

rruff wrote:
You might try and emulate what this guy is doing, even if you need to raise your pads some. It really helps to have bars that are easy to adjust.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roa11 wrote:
Thanks for the response so far.

Height: 191cm
Weight: 80kg

Courses here in Iceland are always out and back, with total elevation under 150m total and surface here is really course.

This position is UCI legal but that is not a must if there are changes that could improve aerodynamics.

I'd echo what others say here. 386 is superb power in that position, 46.5 is only ok speed considering how good all the inputs look. Is the powermeter accurate?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roa11 wrote:
Brand new GP5000 with latex tubes.

Pressure? Low pressure is probably faster on what you describe as a "course" road surface. It's usually safe unless you hit a pothole.

And I'd only use the lowest Crr tires in TT, and the GP5000 isn't bad, but it's not in that group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roa11 wrote:
Question regarding skin suits.

This is the Bio Racer Speedwear TT suit (link)

Is this suit out dated? If so what other suits would you recommend?

That's probably as good as an off-the-shelf suit gets

My coach's advice is whether the suit feels tight, as in there's so much tension when wearing the suit, you feel as if you'd prefer to be hunched over rather than standing straight. That's the level of tightness needed.

So for me, at 174 cm and 69 kg (back when I really cared), I'd wear a size S Castelli Body Paint suit. I also considered getting the Bio Racer, but the U.S. distributor charged a significant mark-up, and the European site I was looking at didn't have it with long sleeves.

Also note that if you've worn the suit for ~30 times or so, some of them stretch and expand, such that it's no longer a tight fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hehe ok. Then I am way off. This suit is among the most comfortable things to wear :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Comfortable (at least in certain areas) is good.

When I wore mine (the Body Paint) for the first time, it felt as if the damn thing tried to get me bent into a ball. That's how I knew I picked the right size.
Last edited by: echappist: Jun 8, 20 17:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My power sucks but I’m decently fast in my position. I need help getting into and out of my bioracer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put tape over the valve hole
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roa11 wrote:
After reading through several threads I have decided to see were my possibilities for improved positions are. :)

I do not have a video but three photos from 22km TT race. Power is good in this position but would always like to go faster.

No expert, and not sure, but nobody mentioned the helmet. Guess you'd need to tunnel-test to be sure, but helmet looks kinda 'high'. Have you tried others (Giro Aerohead, I prefer a visor anyway, and it blends/connects to my back better).

Tried raising the hands? Also not fastest for everybody (Kienle tests slower with high hands, even if it looks faster).

If UCI-legal is not need, higher socks? Socks are supposed to be faster than skin.
Last edited by: Cnasta: Jun 9, 20 3:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think anyone can tell you much based on these photos, except work on that head. You have the low hanging fruit covered, and probably need to test for yourself from here. FWIW, I have a very similar bioracer tri suit that I love, but tested the slowest of the ones I tried (LG, Endura were faster). I tested that helmet, for me was equally fast to the aero head, so I wouldn’t stress that in the absence of testing. I’d run a different tire on the rear, either corsa speed or Schwalbe pro one TT.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two other observations (next to, higher hands, highers socks and maybe other helmet):

Speedplay system might be faster/more aero than spd-sl and look
If not bound by UCI-regulations, maybe you can get a the nose-cone (is that for all Shivs?)

[pink]red is faster, so change colors.....[/pink]

Now I'm out of options :)
Quote Reply