Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Critique my fit
Quote | Reply
Just got a new stem/Bar and updated my fit.

Specs: 185cm, 70 kg, 175 cranks, KTM Solus size 56.

Video was made during SST session. Just saw that I’m rocking a bit - try to figure out if it is a disbalance l/r. Added spit Ute from pm reading l/r balance is 45/55...

Thanks for your thoughts!

https://www.dropbox.com/...dSCOnXOEZUfglwa?dl=0
Last edited by: Leanmeanmachine: Dec 30, 18 12:41
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [Leanmeanmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your Dropbox is empty.

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:
Your Dropbox is empty.

Try this link: https://www.dropbox.com/...dSCOnXOEZUfglwa?dl=0

Sorry my fault- vid is still uploading...so only a matter of minutes...
Last edited by: Leanmeanmachine: Dec 30, 18 12:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still empty

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:
Still empty

Now it’s up there...104 MB guess I have to learn how to compress vid on iPhone...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are not really rotating at the pelvis all that much. Your aerobars are too high. But the 1st thing you need to do is get rid of that massively too long of a crank. That crank will keep you from rotating and dropping the bars. Your seat is too high as well, so once you fix that, the effects of the long crank will be worse. I'd go with a 165mm. Drop the saddle 5-10mm. Drop the bars 2-4cm. Get rid of the S bends for something ski bendy or Zipp Evo like.

After all that you can work on slouching, turtling, and ducking the head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saddle needs to be 10 mm lower. Saddle needs to be 2-3 cm forward. Cockpit needs to be 30-40 mm lower.

And angle the extensions (and armpads) upward by several degrees. I think you'd benefit from better ergonomics on the extensions.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Dec 30, 18 17:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you know if I hold my laptop tilted at a 15* angle to the left, your position doesn't look all that bad. But, you're "outside the box".

Like Dave and Trent said, lower saddle, move forward, smaller cranks, tilt aerobars and you'll be "inside the box".

Once there you can make micro adjustments to perfect your fit. I'll warn you though, as you get closer to perfect, you might wish you had a 58cm instead of a 56cm frame. It's 50/50...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your feedback. Did all the movements you suggested except cranks ( they are 2inpowers - expensive and hard to find in 165/170) i‘ll Keep eyes open. Are the 175 bad from biomechanical perspective or is it just the „comfort „ thing for hip-angle and getting into low aero position?

I love the s-bend because I feel that I have more power pushing myself into the bars when going up rolling hills for example...maybe straight bars would be fine too but never tried.

Will shoot a vid of new position tonight or tomorrow. Do I have to shoot the vid from different angle? I tried to have the cam on same hight as BB slightly angled up - should I do something different?

Thank for support again & Happy New year to everyone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I *believe*, biomechanically, that shorter cranks positively affect running off the bike. A belief though... anecdotal.

On the bike, biomechanically, if you're in a proper position and you're dealing with hip impingment at TDC, there's probably a negative biomechanical effect. Conversely, you could be fine, but not in an optimal position because cranks are too long.

You'll need to post a pic.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Jan 2, 19 4:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leanmeanmachine wrote:
Will shoot a vid of new position tonight or tomorrow. Do I have to shoot the vid from different angle? I tried to have the cam on same hight as BB slightly angled up - should I do something different?

On the X-axis I like to center the camera on the bottom bracket. For the Y-axis I set it so I can see the bottom of my pedal stroke when the camera is placed ~8' away from the bike (this is due to my space limitations). For me, I think this places the camera at about saddle height but it is not something I have confirmed. I don't angle the camera at all.

Below you can see the camera right in front of the bike rack (below the a in the Kuat script). Hopefully this gives you a good visual on what I am describing above.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Jan 2, 19 5:20
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
I *believe*, biomechanically, that shorter cranks positively affect running off the bike. A belief though... anecdotal.

On the bike, biomechanically, if you're in a proper position and you're dealing with hip impingment at TDC, there's probably a negative biomechanical effect. Conversely, you could be fine, but not in an optimal position because cranks are too long.

based on reading a lot of posts over the years and fitting various types of people, it would non scientifically seem that some athletes don't seem to be as affected by acute hip angles as others do.

that being said, those athletes likely have never experimented with shorter cranks, and so don't know the difference.

but, like you say, the shorter crank allows for more fit optimization. that's ultimately it's main benefit, i think. such that: shorter crank -> better fit -> more efficient rider/bike "package" -> quicker bike times on similar effort -> better running. although biomechanically there is probably something to be said for simply having a shorter crank and not feeling as stressed in the hip flexor/psoas area.

to the OP - i'd also work on "quieting" down your upper body, which will likely be helped by the fit suggestions others have made.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree on all.

My theory on shorter cranks and run speed off the bike has to do with the legs traveling in shorter circles with shorter cranks. Over 180km and all those RPMs, it adds up and can be felt neuromuscularly. I have nothing to back this up.

In the end, the fastest run times come when you are super run fit and under bike, so I know there's no short crank panacea.

jkhayc wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

On the bike, biomechanically, if you're in a proper position and you're dealing with hip impingement at TDC, there's probably a negative biomechanical effect. Conversely, you could be fine, but not in an optimal position because cranks are too long.

based on reading a lot of posts over the years and fitting various types of people, it would non scientifically seem that some athletes don't seem to be as affected by acute hip angles as others do.

that being said, those athletes likely have never experimented with shorter cranks, and so don't know the difference.

but, like you say, the shorter crank allows for more fit optimization. that's ultimately it's main benefit, i think. such that: shorter crank -> better fit -> more efficient rider/bike "package" -> quicker bike times on similar effort -> better running. although biomechanically there is probably something to be said for simply having a shorter crank and not feeling as stressed in the hip flexor/psoas area.

to the OP - i'd also work on "quieting" down your upper body, which will likely be helped by the fit suggestions others have made.

Quote Reply