Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Critique my fit, please
Quote | Reply
I'm preparing for my first full distance and I'm looking for some fit advice. I had a retull fit last year but I didn't feel comfortable after it.
I'm 186cm tall and bike is M/L size Fuji Aloha. Thanks for advices.

Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit, please [KamilN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What saddle are you using?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit, please [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobb Max.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would drop the seat about 1cm while switching to a true split nose model. Rotate the pelvis into that new seat a bit more and you will end up with the elbows close to or right on the pads. Good. Now drop the aerobars 2-3cm or just remove that big spacer and be done with it. An extension shape more ski-bendy will help the wrists and arms relax. And you might need more reach after you do all that. Maybe 1-4cm or so.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit, please [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was riding ISM split nose and I couldn't find it comfortable, it was wide and causing pinching skin under trisuit pad. I'll drop my aerobars by removing 50mm spacers from under them. Lower my seat more? Now it's 81cm with 91 inseam and in fitting report is written 84,5cm, but it was way to high.

This is my after fitting position on split nose.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KamilN, I found I really needed to be on the front of a split nose saddle, front 2-3 inches, to allow for pelvic rotation. Any further back on the saddle and I had the feeling of pelvic pressure, felt like the saddle was trying to split me in half. Maybe try riding more forward on your ISM if you still have it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that the finished product of your retul fit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your bike looks a size too small in my opinion before starting a fit
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit, please [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Is that the finished product of your retul fit?

On second video, this made in store, you got final product.
This is after fitting report https://drive.google.com/...XAw6ZpUMb3KoE5GGiBqu

Shambolic wrote:
Your bike looks a size too small in my opinion before starting a fit

You can be right because seatpost was few cm to short and had to be lenghten.
Frame geometry, mine is M/L
https://archive.fujibikes.com/2016/Fuji/aloha-
Last edited by: KamilN: Mar 5, 18 0:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6' 3" is in most bike brands you would be a L. Maybe 6' like me I'm in between M/L depending on brand.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit, please [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6' 1" not 6' 3" and for my height Fuji suggest 55cm Norcom Straight which got 540 stack and 435 reach,my Aloha got 530 stack and 447 reach.

https://static.evanscycles.com/...014-Sizing-Guide.pdf

I'm out of ideas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KamilN wrote:
I was riding ISM split nose and I couldn't find it comfortable, it was wide and causing pinching skin under trisuit pad.

Many people find the ISMs too wide. Both of the Cobb JOF saddles (55 and Randee) have narrower noses, as does the Fabric Tri or the Fizik Mystica (comes in different widths). There are others as well (DASH). So don't abandon the noseless saddle idea just because ISM didn't work. In the video it looks uncomfortable based on how far backward you're rotating your pelvis.

KamilN wrote:
Lower my seat more? Now it's 81cm with 91 inseam and in fitting report is written 84,5cm, but it was way to high.

It still looks high based on the movement of your back, but not ridiculously so. I'd guess a view from behind would show you're rocking. You pedal toes down, but that looks to be more stylistic than compensating for a too-high saddle. Did the fitter adjust your cleats back on the shoe as well? Anyway, you need a comfortable saddle before you really settle on a seat height, the way you rotate your pelvis affects seat height.

84.5 would have been ridiculous, if the fitter really thought that's where your seat should be, then I would not go back to him or her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you need a bigger bike, 55 is not going to work.

KamilN wrote:
I'm 6' 1" not 6' 3" and for my height Fuji suggest 55cm Norcom Straight which got 540 stack and 435 reach,my Aloha got 530 stack and 447 reach.

I'm out of ideas.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit, please [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:
KamilN wrote:
I was riding ISM split nose and I couldn't find it comfortable, it was wide and causing pinching skin under trisuit pad.

Many people find the ISMs too wide. Both of the Cobb JOF saddles (55 and Randee) have narrower noses, as does the Fabric Tri or the Fizik Mystica (comes in different widths). There are others as well (DASH). So don't abandon the noseless saddle idea just because ISM didn't work. In the video it looks uncomfortable based on how far backward you're rotating your pelvis.

KamilN wrote:
Lower my seat more? Now it's 81cm with 91 inseam and in fitting report is written 84,5cm, but it was way to high.

It still looks high based on the movement of your back, but not ridiculously so. I'd guess a view from behind would show you're rocking. You pedal toes down, but that looks to be more stylistic than compensating for a too-high saddle. Did the fitter adjust your cleats back on the shoe as well? Anyway, you need a comfortable saddle before you really settle on a seat height, the way you rotate your pelvis affects seat height.

84.5 would have been ridiculous, if the fitter really thought that's where your seat should be, then I would not go back to him or her.

I was using fabric tri when I got Trek Madone converted to tri bike and it was quite ok. Attached photo on it. Cobb Max is much more comfortable than ISM was, but I'd be happy to find some more comfort.
Yes, my cleats are moved back as far as it was possible. Seat height set by fitter is written in pdf attached few post above.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit, please [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

KamilN wrote:

I'm out of ideas.

Aloha is 56cm, but is it to small anyway? Is there any other option except changing a bike? Is it got to little stack or reach or both?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A seat that's comfortable sitting up like in that pic, or sitting in the middle or on the back of it, may not be comfortable in a low, aero position when you're sitting up off the front of it. Cobb Max is a good saddle, but not a true "off the front" saddle. See Slowman's saddle articles in the Slowtwitch tech section, now you know you're looking for an off the front saddle ("noseless") that comes with a narrower nose than the ISMs. See my previous recommendations. If you still have the Fabric, maybe give that a shot (but sit up off the front of it as it's designed to be used).

Also, measure the nose width of any saddle you try. Manufacturers are still pretty bad about publishing nose width for saddles of this type (which is far more important than width at the widest point).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:
now you know you're looking for an off the front saddle ("noseless") that comes with a narrower nose than the ISMs....

or wider

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Made a few changes to set up and added bike photo. How does it look like?

Last edited by: KamilN: Mar 5, 18 10:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KamilN wrote:

Your saddle is really high. Optimal aero would be much lower. Your frame isn't too small.

EDIT: The 1cm lower test is definitely in the right direction.
Last edited by: rruff: Mar 5, 18 11:20
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit, please [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's still too small

rruff wrote:
KamilN wrote:

Your saddle is really high. Optimal aero would be much lower. Your frame isn't too small.

EDIT: The 1cm lower test is definitely in the right direction.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
vjohn wrote:
now you know you're looking for an off the front saddle ("noseless") that comes with a narrower nose than the ISMs....

or wider

Someone makes a wider off the front saddle than an ISM?

I was going by the OP's original statement (earlier in the thread) where he complained of the ISM feeling too wide.

BTW, I just requested to follow your Instagram fit portfolio (JBVSoftrocks)

Last edited by: vjohn: Mar 5, 18 11:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The seat height looks better at the end, I stand by my previous comments regarding saddle choice and pelvic rotation, but you're going in the right direction.

I agree with the commenters saying your frame could be bigger, but I think it's possible to get the contact points in close to the right place on this bike. I usually like to do that first, get the contact points at least in the ballpark with minimal investment, then transfer that to a properly sized bike. That way once you're laying out real money you're making a better educated purchase. But there are other ways to do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
vjohn wrote:

or wider

Someone makes a wider off the front saddle than an ISM?

I was going by the OP's original statement (earlier in the thread) where he complained of the ISM feeling too wide.

that's cause the ISM is probably not an off the front saddle like a Dash, Fabric, or especially a Fizik Mistica large... the ISM is too narrow to be OTF but too wide to sit on the sweet spot in the saddle and not have the prongs rub the thighs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have acces to ISM Century saddle and I'll give it a try, but it is as wide as my previous ISM saddle was. How to setup it, set it as forward as I can to gain more forward position?
Is saddle still to high? What about aerobars? I'm not looking for extreme aero but for cofort aero for ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

KamilN wrote:

I'm out of ideas.

Fuji has terrible sizing , their 55 is closer to a 57 in most brands

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply

Prev Next