Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Critique my Swim!
Quote | Reply
Hi all!

Please share your thoughts on how I swim. This is a 200m at my Ironman pace (70-75% effort).

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my Swim! [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No one? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like your pace slowed considerably through the 200, with your first 50 at 40 seconds and your final 100 at 1:26 (even with a noticeable increase in tempo and kick effort in the last 25). It also appears that you have more sideways body movement and less efficient kicking later in the video.

To get a better idea of what your form is like over distance, you should probably get a video taken while you have significant yards into a distance set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks pretty good. Be nice to get head on and underwater views.

When you breathe, your left hand does the “stop in the name of love” prior to the catch, which decelerates you a bit. See if you can keep it level during that phase.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see mostly good technique - from what I can see. You are probably at the point where all the easy gains have been made and now you need to refine things. Underwater video might reveal some things that you can't see from above.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with others on the need for underwater video. First, a lot of people would love to have a stroke and form this good. However, if I had to find a couple of areas of improvement, you appear to be dropping your elbows under the water, so there could be a more noticeable snap at the elbow during your catch. Also, you're close to crossing over during your reach, so watch that. Above the water, things look good. Your arms seem to relax on the recovery and things appear smooth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, you’re a good swimmer. Clearly you have a background in swimming. You swim smooth and easy. Wonderful! You could easily do that tempo with that stroke in your video for the next two hours with a relatively low heart rate.

If you really want a clear perspective to improve your stroke, I would suggest that you do a lot of really fast swimming. Do 4x100’s all out on a tight interval of very little rest. You might go to failure. Let the wheels fall off. The inconsistencies and the problems with your stroke would become extremely clear at that point.

Make a video of that last 100 all out, post it and we will be able to see where you need improvement on your stroke.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my Swim! [swims2day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, like many swimmers the first 100 strokes are perfect - the last 100 not so much.

My left arm gets lazy and the elbow drops usually as a result of not enough shoulder and hip rotation to the right. I need to take my own advice and do some video, it's probably much worse than I imagine.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Last edited by: Fuller: Oct 5, 19 14:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Need more hip rotation. You have a smooth stroke but you lose distance per stroke and power per stroke bc you don’t have much hip rotation . I think your left arm swings wide on recovery bc your right hip not turned down enough in water. I also think that you lose power on the back end of your stroke pushing through by your hips and your kick is erratic
Last edited by: wdrhoads: Oct 5, 19 19:53
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my Swim! [rik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I took the video at the end of a 2000 or so meter easy day. But I see what you mean.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my Swim! [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stop in the name of love? like in here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPBkiBbO4_4
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my Swim! [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! yes, I will do the underwater video and post again.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my Swim! [swims2day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! yeah, good idea. I will do that.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my Swim! [wdrhoads] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply, yes, I will work on that hip rotation. I can't kick consistently unless I go faster, but doing that will have me burned out at the 400m mark... I used to have more stamina for swimming but had to sacrifice it a little bit in the name of bike and run lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You appear to be a decent swimmer and the streamline and dolphin kick off the wall shows me you have better total water coordination than most videos posted here.

I would try to swim at the effort more like
your last lap. The rest just kind of looks lackadaisical and boring.

That slapping noise could be worked on with a smoother entry.

How is your kicking with just a board? It looks a little flailing. Are your feet just kind of back there moving up and down like you are kicking, or are you actually getting a benefit from your kick?

Quit the breathing with no pulling into the wall. That is just like taking a quick break mid swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop taking a breath into the turn without a stroke. Easy pace you should never do this and only when in oxygen debt maybe you could double breath into or out of turns. Your left arm needs work it swings a little wide and then it slightly crosses over. Your kick doesn’t look very coordinated, I’m not sure what to tell you to change maybe kick less? Or change your kick pattern to something else.

Do more sculling and pulling to increase the strength of your pull. These are all picky comments overall it’s good. I think you should post a video at a quicker pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my Swim! [H2Owings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, yes the kick basically is for keeping the legs up, not really pushing with it. I mean I can use them for propulsion, but at that pace, I don't kick that much. In faster paces, I kick a bit more.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my Swim! [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your comments, I will put them in practice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarioTB wrote:
Stop in the name of love? like in here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPBkiBbO4_4

Yes. Look at your video at 00:25 as your hand extends as you breathe vs. 00:29 when the same hand enters during a non-breath cycle (set Youtube to 25% speed). The wrist angles up, which increases drag. This is a fairly common way to counter an imbalance elsewhere.

As other have said, minor critique; lots of us would love to have your swim form.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my Swim! [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never heard the term lol! thanks for the info! I have a swimming background, but sacrificed it a lot to cycle and run faster.
Quote Reply