Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Critique My Fit (UPDATED)
Quote | Reply
Edit - let's try this for video:

Any insights appreciated. Never had a bike fit of any kind. I only recently added 30mm of risers to the pads to try and alleviate my neck soreness on long rides, which are really my only major issues. Jury is still out on whether raising the pads helped at all, did one 4 hour ride with them and neck was still a slight issue towards the end. I think my neck is just weak.

I've done 2 HIM and numerous shorter races on this bike, training for first IM next year so looking for that magic medium between aero and comfort...

Thanks!
Last edited by: PBT_2009: Sep 8, 20 7:32
Quote Reply
Re: Critique My Fit [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks pretty good. You might try a bit more reach in combination with some ski bends or really anything other than those S bends. Both of those suggestions would be to make you more comfortable and drop those 30mm of spacers back out, which I think you could get away with. Crank length even looks reasonable.

Keep in mind that the neck is just gonna somewhat suck if you really commit to your fastest position and train a bunch. It's really the one thing that can't be completely fixed by typical adjustments.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique My Fit [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Yeah I find having my hands resting together on top of the ends of the extensions where I have my garmin mounted (garmin not mounted in video) is more comfy, the shape ismt perfect for me. That may be something I look to change up ahead of next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't underestimate how much little tweaks like extension shape and a couple cm more reach can effect overall comfort, including the neck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saddle is a bit low - I'd raise it about 15 mm and pull it forward max. Armpads should move forward same amount the saddle comes forward and then an extra 1 cm (do it via longer stem you'll end up shortening the extensions more than they already are). Your extensions are a bit short, so I'd push the extensions forward another 1 cm relative to the armpads.

You could really use different extensions - consider a ski bend, Zipp EVO 70, or 51 Speedsho extensions.

I'm guessing you are sliding forward as you ride longer (or ride outside) and loading up your shoulders a bit.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Critique My Fit [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
Saddle is a bit low.

That's good. I eyeballed it and thought it was fine, but then I measured it and sure it is a bit low. My eyeballs suck sometimes.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique My Fit [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'll try the saddle raising, although I lowered and slid it back a touch recently and felt a bit better. But i didn't tinker with reach on the front end like you suggested so maybe that was to blame when I felt cramped. Conclusion 1 from comments so far is I should get new extensions and perhaps a 1cm longer stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some updates since original video (ski bends, pads forward, new saddle). I feel a tad un-aero this year, looking to get improvements especially in that regard but I welcome any feedback here. in the vid I do first few seconds in relaxed head position, then i move to head tucked lower slightly although this is less sustainable for me for the IM distance. slightly.

Hopefully this vid link works.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What saddle are you using?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique My Fit [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ISM PN 2.1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
new day bump thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One last bump for the updated vid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shameless bump for most recent vid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am usually a lurker when it comes to users posting fit videos, but I will bite on the updated video as no one else has. Your updated position with lower seat and ski extensions looks much better. Once you settle into your current position, try lowering the stack slightly to get your back a little more flat.

Looks good overall. I am 100% supportive of people doing their own fit research, filming themselves and getting feedback first, before paying for a professional fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique My Fit [Dallcro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dallcro wrote:
I am usually a lurker when it comes to users posting fit videos, but I will bite on the updated video as no one else has. Your updated position with lower seat and ski extensions looks much better. Once you settle into your current position, try lowering the stack slightly to get your back a little more flat.

Looks good overall. I am 100% supportive of people doing their own fit research, filming themselves and getting feedback first, before paying for a professional fit.

thanks. the nearest shop to me where i'd trust their tri-specific expertise, a bike fit is $400. That's not happenin. so yeah, gunna utilize the ST community as much as I can here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how much armpad reach can you add without changing parts? how long is your stem?

your bike is prob too small.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique My Fit [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I feel relatively stretched out as it is. The stem is a 110 I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well you did ask for fit advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't mean to be dismissing your critique. Sorry if you read it that way.

I should have asked-More reach to stretch arms out? Flatten back? Both?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The goal of more armpad reach would be to alter your body position in a favorable way, you are "scrunched up."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could get a 120mm stem, and/or just slide the pads and extensions forward. i still have a little bit of room to move them forward in current setup. I can try it out.

I'm interested to hear more because while I know I'm not super stretched out, honestly I don't really see (or feel) my position as scrunched. I know it's not the end-all criteria, but looking at my upper arms and the angle, I'm on par with most of these fits with the exception of sebi and JVB who look super stretched out. https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Bike_Gear_7546.html . is there another area of the fit that you're looking at which indicates scrunch? Also, based on my measurements canyon's calculator would put me on a size S speedmax CF, which has a reach of 405, basically the same as what this bike is (398, based on googling). I also know that isn't an end-all determination on bike size but again curious to hear your thoughts. Much appreciated!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with James you look scrunched up. It also looks more like you're "bracing" yourself with your upper body vs. sinking into the position. Play around in front of your bathroom mirror... bend over with your elbows on the counter "in aero" and just move around, play with longer, shorter, wider, narrower, higher hands, etc... try to find something that looks/feels natural.

From the video you posted... I bet if you went back (and maybe a little down) on the saddle it'd look a lot less like you had a size too small bike, but ymmv

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Critique My Fit [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks. I'm moving the pads forward a touch and will try this out. ironically, i lowered my saddle a touch just yesterday since i played with that a few years ago, it felt good on initial impression.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
I could get a 120mm stem, and/or just slide the pads and extensions forward. i still have a little bit of room to move them forward in current setup. I can try it out.

I'm interested to hear more because while I know I'm not super stretched out, honestly I don't really see (or feel) my position as scrunched. I know it's not the end-all criteria, but looking at my upper arms and the angle, I'm on par with most of these fits with the exception of sebi and JVB who look super stretched out. https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Bike_Gear_7546.html . is there another area of the fit that you're looking at which indicates scrunch? Also, based on my measurements canyon's calculator would put me on a size S speedmax CF, which has a reach of 405, basically the same as what this bike is (398, based on googling). I also know that isn't an end-all determination on bike size but again curious to hear your thoughts. Much appreciated!

i think you are missing the forest for the trees a bit. sure, your upper arms and torso form a "good" angle, but that is mostly irrelevant if the rest of your posture is sub-optimal. the reason i asked how much you could move your reach forward without buying parts was to help ascertain whether your bike is too small (not that it matters if you're not buying a new bike), because your overall posture is fairly slack and upright. you could be rotated forward quite nicely and by quite a good bit and i think you will run into reach problems, but the first area to experiment with that is armpad movement. i think you could probably use another 4+ cm of reach to begin to see what that does for your posture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't sure whether to start a fresh thread or keep this one going, but I have made some changes and would appreciate any continued feedback on my position from the amazing ST community. Since last vid:

Longer stem, 20 mm longer
Armpads and extensions slid out few mm
New saddle (fizik mistica - still trying it out but initial feel good)
30 mm pad spacers removed - I haven't ridden outside with these removed yet but I'm focusing on shorter distance this year and past feedback was that I should work to remove them anyway so here goes. I think it looks good and feel is pretty good initially. Raised saddle a few mm to compensate for spacer removal. Saddle height still not super refined here but I think it's decent.

consensus from last vid was that i looked scrunched, just self-critiquing this new one, my back looks way flatter and less bunched up towards the shoulders, so i'm hoping i'm on the right track

Last edited by: PBT_2009: Apr 7, 22 11:36
Quote Reply

Prev Next