Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Critique My Fit (2017 Giant Trinity)
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty happy with this after tinkering and adapting over the last year or so. I have a couple thoughts about where I'd make changes, but I've admired the fit critiques for a while now. I'm a little barrel chested and not the most flexible, so I don't have a lot of room to drop the front physically. I'm on 165mm cranks, 30* angle up front.

Notes:
- 165mm cranks (this is very unlikely to change)
- 30* angle up front (via 2 15* angle wedges, one under the bar/pads, one under only the pads w/built in angle on the extensions, so it's not perfect or super adjustable)

- I have +/- 20mm on the pad stack, while pad reach is a bit more open to adjustment. Changing reach DOES have a small effect on stack here, given the angle, but the pads are comfortable and have a lot of surface, so I'm not too worried about that.

- I am verifiably comfortable enough here, as I did a half iron race last weekend with a solid and well executed bike split.

Video:

Race stats: 24.4mph, 244w AP/253w NP, ~2300ft elevation gain over 56 miles, 3rd fastest bike split, and I ran about as expected given training. I was pretty near this position for the race, changes below.

Since the race, I dropped the front end ~10mm and added 15* angle under the bars and pads. I also dropped the saddle slightly and brought it forward slightly. Ultimately, I'm looking for another little improvement if it's there, and I think dropping the front end a touch and getting higher hands has that potential. From what I can tell, I'm borderline on the back, hip, and knee angles, but very close or just inside the ranges I've seen.

Sorry I'm facing the wrong way, sorry it's super blurry, pardon the messy room.
Last edited by: mitchellgsides: Nov 9, 20 10:36
Quote Reply
Re: Critique My Fit (2017 Giant Trinity) [mitchellgsides] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert, but looks like your saddles a very little bit low, as even accounting for your foot being a little pointed (only a very little) you still have quite a large bend in your knee at the bottom of the pedal stroke. you also look quite cramped up on the bike, but that may just be the position that works for you and me not knowing enough about bikefitting or you to recognise this. What helmet do you use and how does that fit with this position aerodynamically?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique My Fit (2017 Giant Trinity) [TommyBTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback!

Helmet: I have a Lazer Victor and it fits pretty flush. It’s also “designed for head movement”, but mostly I just liked the low profile (it’s small) and I got a phenomenal deal on it. I’m happy with how it fits in the back space. I’ll stick it on later for video #2 (left it in my wife’s car this morning).

Saddle: I did angle measurements on Motionysys (super cool and useful, check it out), and that knee angle at full extension is pretty spot on. Before lowering the saddle, it had been a little too high. It’s comfortable, as well. Generally, I have read a lower saddle is slightly better aerodynamically. It also allowed me to have a slightly better hip/shoulder angle with the lower front. So it could be a touch low, but I figure it’s a win with aero and it seems good on the angles.

Front end distance: I’m potentially a little cramped, but it’s plenty comfortable for me and I wanted to bring my hands closer to my face, in the style of Sam Long and some others. Honestly the bike is too small, but I bought it 3 years ago without a fit before I was smart enough to realize how dumb that is. I overestimated the adjustability there. I would like a bit more reach from the frame, but I don’t feel cramped.
Last edited by: mitchellgsides: Nov 9, 20 11:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
saddle up and forward just a bit
extensions back just a tiny bit (leave the rest of the cockpit alone)

see how that looks

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds awesome then! What race did you do and got any more planned? I’ve got my new Tri bike coming and can’t wait to get my position dialled in ready to race!
Quote Reply
Re: Critique My Fit (2017 Giant Trinity) [TommyBTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll try that and see what it's like, Morelock! I'll get another video this evening with the helmet, too.

I did Oilman in Conroe, TX. It's a deceptively difficult day. Wind was pretty cooperative for my ride. The run is flat but has a lot of twists and old banked golf course sidewalks, so it's not exactly fast for a flat run. My next major race is Ironman Texas (I was supposed to do 2020, but delay then cancellation led me to doing this race a 3rd time, 2014, 2018). I PR'ed Half IM swim and bike and overall time.

I'll also do any road races that come up on the bike before ~ late to mid March. In Texas, that's generally 3-4 weekends with a mid-January race, typically. I'm a washed up and chubby cat 1 at this point, but maybe I can throw something together in one of those. By the time I figured out how to race bikes (which was after I got a real job), I couldn't pedal hard enough to actually do it, so I've spent a couple years trying to get back to competitiveness.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique My Fit (2017 Giant Trinity) [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's round 2 for the moment.

Tweaked a bit, as per Morelock. I was skeptical but I like it. I rode around outside (with a road helmet) to confirm. It'll take a little adjustment and some good strength work (which is already in the plan) to stick it here for a full IM, but I'm confident it can work. I'm not sure I'll handle going forward/up any more on the saddle very well, but I gave it ~8-10mm from before and then brought the extensions back (and subsequently down) about 8-10mm as well. Power feels good, no significant difference I can tell from the race or the other adjustments, so I'm good with it.

Last edited by: mitchellgsides: Nov 9, 20 13:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you look more relaxed and comfortable and 2nd video
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks slick.

If you just want to play with stuff... +10mm under the bars (so raising the extensions and pads together +10) would be interesting to see. Getting just a little above that horizontal core with those high bars might help slot your head in and also could add a little comfort back.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Critique My Fit (2017 Giant Trinity) [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all!

I'm going to hop on today with the helmet and see how it slots in there, will post when that's done. If there's a little space with the helmet, I'll put the +10mm up front if I can. I have the spacers, but we'll see if I have the screws to fit... I do really like this bike, but I wish I had gone with a large as there's some limitations on the adjustment there.

*Also relevant: I do intend to drop a bit of belly fat. My "race weight" should be ~165-170 rather than my ~180 at the moment, and I've been close in the last couple months, but decided to eat and train more, at risk of getting some chubbiness lately. Of course I can't wishfully fit to a future body, but once that happens, it should open up a bit of space at the hip, which will be nice.
Last edited by: mitchellgsides: Nov 10, 20 7:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very happy with it, currently. I'm going to ride around a bit today and see if the comfort is enough to keep it here. If not, I'll up stack with the 10mm and see then. This is pretty solid, plenty comfortable for the time I've been on it, but we'll see for a bit longer ride. You can see the hump in my back creep up just the slightest bit here around halfway, but I think that's fine, as I had a very significant hump before any of these changes (i.e. in race photos) that seemed not to affect anything in terms of comfort or power.

I'll probably try the higher stack just for fun at some point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump because I'm curious if some afternoon traffic will get me a couple more opinions. I'm really happy with where it is now, but the whole point is to open it up to ideas that could make me go faster!

Anybody with wind tunnel experience or a fitting business have any suggestions or comments?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a pro fitter (yet), but that front end just looks scrunched up to me. I've experimented with a number of levels of stretched-outness vs the classic 90 degree shoulder to upper arm angle (which is about what you have) and have always found that I prefer being more stretched out. Now your eyeball aero looks good regardless of this, but it might be that shrugging comes a bit more naturally if you were stretched out a bit more.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Critique My Fit (2017 Giant Trinity) [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input! I agree it's a little scrunched, but I think that COULD be manageable. It's not uncomfortable (I rode ~60 minutes yesterday), but it's definitely not a couch, either.

I mentioned earlier too-small frame, and that's the major issue: I don't get quite the reach I want with the angle hacks. I like this thought though, and I tried to solve it with the following:

- Pads pushed forward (and subsequently up). They're now maxed on reach.

*Edit: Respect on the "(yet)", I'm also in line to hopefully go to F.I.S.T. as soon as it can happen.
Last edited by: mitchellgsides: Nov 11, 20 15:30
Quote Reply