Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Criticism of Oakley
Quote | Reply
I just got done reading the Oakley review on Tom Demerley's sight

I agree that Oakley is a great product and way ahead of others in tech and design. However the one place where they fall flat on their faces is with prescription lenses.

Within the last couple of year I have had to wear glasses for everything. Tried contacts for a while but finally decided to switch over to full time prescription lenses/sunglasses. Well I loved oakleys for yeas but Oakley had not (affordable) options for prescription lenses (I think it was 180 dollars for each lens / prescription combo making multiple lenses a luxury) and when it was available it was only available in some styles. Plus the prescriptions were non adjustable (once you got a lens and your prescription changed, you had to get a new lens/prescription altogether)

I ended up with a pair of Rudys with a prescription insert which I am very very happy with.

... I guess this post wasn't a question but more of a rant. Would love to hear opinions though
Quote Reply
Re: Criticism of Oakley [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before I made the jump to contacts about a year ago when I was 14, I had to get presciption sunglasses/glasses. I've tried lots of prescription sunglasses, including an Oakley pair, but nothing ever really seemed to work well. Then I just figured out sunglasses were mainly designed for people who wear contacts or can see perfectly and made "the switch." Also I kinda got sick of not being able to see at swim practice. =D

Over all with Oakley, I'm more than pleased with all of their products. All of the things I've bought from them have done their work well. Even the prescription sunglasses were a lot better than others that are out there. Right now, I currently have a M frame for the running and cycling and a pair of regular presciption glasses from them for when I don't wear my contacts and I'm very pleased with them.

Though, all I wish is that they would make a non-hindge(or pro) version of the Mg M Frames. I would instantly start saving up and sell my regular Pro M's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually think Oakley's refusal to do a cheap insert-style prescription spec speaks in their favor.

None of the insert-style glasses will work for high-index prescriptions (not that they tell you that,) and all have major fogging problems, as well as being twice as heavy as sunglasses alone.
Oakley does it the right way - they actually put the prescription in the lens, at the correct distance from your eye, and they won't grind it if it won't work.

I wear contacts myself, at least when doing anything active. Barring that, the Oakley's are the best, followed by the Adidas inserts, then the Rudy's, then the old Bolle. YMMV.

Remember though, lens distortion is cumulative; the more layers of distortion you put in front of your eyes, the more fatigue and eyestrain. Optical quality is really key here, and Rudy Project is pretty good, but not tops in my book - probably third or fourth place in that category.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
   While I no longer have to worry about Rx (I had PRK and I highly recommend it or LASIK. It'll change your life), I have another reason that I will always wear Oakley. My team even has a sponsorship with Rudy, and I love their designs, but I haven't and don't plan to use them. Anyone who has read Lance's book knows that Oakley was one of the few entities that stood by him through his illness. Whether or not one likes Lance, the fact that the company will stand by an athlete shows me that they are willing to take risks to do the right thing. I've worn Oakleys since they first made it on the scene in the 80's, so its not like I just came to the party because of Lance. His story just confirms my decision, at least for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oakley's sport prescription glasses are expensive, but I still feel they are better than systems that add two layers of lenses. Those come with their own set of problems. As you could tell by my article, I am a confirmed Oakleyphile. No regrets or excuses. The company has always impressed me and continues to do so. They have and are continsing to make the tough business decisions to stay true to their core. The owner had a vision and is trying, against shareholder momentum sometimes, to stick to his vision. Once a company goes public its direction is no longer the vision of one man, but many. Oakley has struggled with that, but remains "pure". Their new glass, the "Plate" is example of their commitment to functional elegance. I could go on and on about how great the company and the products are. The support of Lance Armstrong is just a minor example of their commitment to everything they believe. That is rare these days. Messin' with Oakley is like makin' fun of my Mom.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have perfect vision, so I can't speak too much about the prescription part, but I will say that Oakley customer service is unrivaled. I am prone to klutzy adventures like sitting on my Oakleys (also see my roof rack story) and Oakley has bailed me out numerous times. Thye are very, very good peeps, IMHO. And, their product is absolutely the coolest out there. Is there *anything* in triathlon better than the M-frame?

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Re: Criticism of Oakley [MattMiz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> Is there *anything* in triathlon better than the M-frame?

Rudy Project Ekynox ...

Dre'
Quote Reply
Re: Criticism of Oakley [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry Tom Didn't mena to make fun of your momma who is soooo.... (fill in favorite momma joke here)

My criticism was meant more as one area where I am unhappy with Oakley. I was a long time user of oakley (had a pair of M frames for 5 years... still have them in fact) but when it came to the point where I had to wear some type of corrective eye where. I was dissapointed with the options that Oakley had.

I understand that the Oakley's answer may be the optically superior one but here is where I find fault in it...

1) you scratch a lens you destroy the optical qualities of the lens... in a bad way. Now if you scratch the one lens you are going to have to replace that lens.

2) in an emergency if you break, lose a lens, something. It takes 2 - 4 weeks for Oakley to replace that lens, compared to 1 hour at lens crafters

3) Over 5 or 6 years your prescription could change 2 times, one pair of glasses, 2 or 3 lenses, (Bright light, low light, clear) that works out to somewhere in the range of 1200 dollars

In every other way I think that Oakley is a superior company, however for me it doesn't provide all of the solutions.

I like my Rudy's with the prescription inserts, I had no problem fitting the inserts, they fit on my face, are a little bit heavier than my M frames. But they fit my face and I can see.

Just something else to consider before giving a company carte blanche
Quote Reply