Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Critical Mass Police officer in trouble.
Quote | Reply
Rookie cop in hot water after video shows him slamming biker
By TAMER EL-GHOBASHY
DAILY NEWS POLICE BUREAU
Updated Tuesday, July 29th 2008, 3:13 AM
A rookie NYPD cop was stripped of his badge and gun Monday after a stunning video caught him slamming a bicyclist to the ground in an apparent unprovoked attack.

http://www.nydailynews.com/...fter_video_show.html

JP Latkovic
Tri and Du It Multisport
Plainview, NY
http://www.triandduit.com
http://www.dulongisland.com
Last edited by: triandduit: Jul 29, 08 5:51
Quote Reply
Re: Critical Mass Police officer in trouble. [triandduit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anger and control issues ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What an idiot, threw his whole career away to arrest a cyclist. Im not a fan of critical mass and think that it is just an inconvenience for anyone except the riders but sometimes you have to look the other way. I hop that there is more to the strory, something off tape but it doesnt look good right now.

Matt
Race-Ready Endurance Training
Team BIKEWAY.com
NYPD Racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless that bike had just assaulted someone there was no reason to knock him off his bike. I didn't see any attempt by the cop to stop him prior to knocking him down. He might have been telling him to stop, but that is not an excuse for that much of a reaction.

Pretty stupid to think that it wouldn't be caught on video in Times Square with 1,000 tourists filmimg away!

There are good cops as well as bad ones. At least the NYPD looks like they are firing him. I am sure he will have a great future in the security industry harassing high school students in a Mall somewhere.

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a fan of how Critical Mass does its thing, but, wow. Yeah, those charges better go away, and that cop better get fired.
Quote Reply
Re: Critical Mass Police officer in trouble. [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
At least the NYPD looks like they are firing him.

1. Think the NYPD would suspend/fire him had there not been a video?

2. The story says that the officer's arrest report was inconsistent with the video. What do you think will happen to the second officer, who must have corroborated the arrest report?
Quote Reply
Re: Critical Mass Police officer in trouble. [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
At least the NYPD looks like they are firing him.

1. Think the NYPD would suspend/fire him had there not been a video?

2. The story says that the officer's arrest report was inconsistent with the video. What do you think will happen to the second officer, who must have corroborated the arrest report?

1. Sadly, no. Had there been no video buddy would likely have gone down. Even with tonnes of witnesses.
2. My bet is nothing happens to him and his part in this affair goes unnoticed.

Sometimes having little faith in humanity and even less in those charged with our protection really sucks...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next time, the NYPD I hope just uses pepper gas and stun guns en mass to stop these idiots. Maybe toss a few boxes of tacks in the road.

Anyone who things that CM does anything positive for cyclists (such as us who are real cyclists) is a fool. Thanks to their efforts cars and general traffic will act with more vengance and inconsideration when it comes to one or two bikes on the road as opposed to a malicious mob who is looking for trouble.

I dont understand why cities dont just do mass arrests and bike seizures with these idiots. It is PROVEN that CM will doctor video (with proper cutting) and try to create stories to convict innocent folks who can actually afford cars.

Here is the pathetic CM video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-390Q1BwpA

Yeah...this guy...sure does seem like a manace to me

http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

Like I said - mass arrests.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Critical Mass Police officer in trouble. [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks to [critical mass] cars and general traffic will act with more vengance and inconsideration

Evidently, you should add "police" to that list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure that it is totally useless. Raising awareness, starting water cooler conversation, the old no press is bad press approach. From what i see these rides generally happen in places where heavy trafic and gridlock are the norm, the first time i saw one of these (randomly actually) it was amaizing how quit the street got while it went by.

it's not like they are doing this on the NJ turnpike during rush hour, it's times square for god's sake. who REALLY needs their car in Manhattan?

Quote | Reply
Quote:
Next time, the NYPD I hope just uses pepper gas and stun guns en mass to stop these idiots. Maybe toss a few boxes of tacks in the road.

Anyone who things that CM does anything positive for cyclists (such as us who are real cyclists) is a fool. Thanks to their efforts cars and general traffic will act with more vengance and inconsideration when it comes to one or two bikes on the road as opposed to a malicious mob who is looking for trouble.

Chip, it amazes me that you don't see the hypocricy of those two sentences. You often propose reacting to violence with more violence. Yet criticize the CM groups for agitating others to violence. Reminds me of "andeye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth and we will all be blind and toothless".

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate hipsters on bikes as much as the next guy (maybe more), and chances are pretty good this guy had it coming--if not for something he did just prior to the video, then probably for some past transgression.

That said, that 'officer' has no business having a badge. Your hatred of people who aren't like you seems to make you incapable reasonable thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are a mob and a menace - and they know it. They need to be stopped as they do no good for cycling. I have seen some Chicago CM rides and the whole thing is a point to piss off, disturb, and create conflict with random stangers and innocent bystanders who happen to be in a car near them. They with out cause damage property and ignore traffic laws...all while preaching their right to the road (with mostly vulgarities and threats).

I then happen to be the next "cyclist" they see - only I am alone and not with a mob for protection. At the end of the day, what matters most is they do nothing positive for cycling nor awareness - they only make non-cyclists more aware that "bikers are idiots".

I am all about stopping people like this, be their point cycling or what other cause they decide to inflict on the innocent public unwittingly to the publics desire.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Thanks to [critical mass] cars and general traffic will act with more vengance and inconsideration

I know, next time you have an issue on the bike with a car - dont call 911...call Critical Mass.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got no use for CM - they're doing a lot more harm than good - but that cop should be fired, charged and sued. As little use as I have for CM, I have any less for bullies with badges.

Jay

"If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tought." - Jerry Price
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only 1 officer draws up an arrest so the 2nd officers statement would not be in the arrest paperwork. a 2nd officer is only questioned when something like this happens where there is an investigation to the arrest or major felonies.

Matt
Race-Ready Endurance Training
Team BIKEWAY.com
NYPD Racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thew CM debate has nothing to do with my comment. You totally missed the point. Reacting with violence only brings on more violence. We have better ways of dealing with problems in society than resorting to violence.

Support Crew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not believe there is something wrong with critical mass (whether folks are on bikes or walking to protest for or express whatever) as long long it is correctly organized and traffic is completly blocked.
However correctly organized and hippies/tree huggers (and I have nothing against those folks) usually are not found in the same sentence though.

Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How would you stop them? I really do think they need to be stopped.

This to me really is on par with one guy at Rockman who I DQ'ed for flipping off a car and spitting at it on the bike course with no cause (I happed to be the driver). It is not that his action of flipping me off or spitting did any damage to me - but if it was a home owner, neighbor, elected official or what not it can have a huge impact.

Now, you then take innocent folks from cities and victimize them with the actions of the far left extreme of "cyclists" en mass who are hell bent on creating havoc. Now, you then ask those same people to vote for bike lanes, bike paths and cyclist rights. Oddly, the folks in CM dont seem like the average voter nor citizen to me. The tourists and people who are in cars in cities and delay them for these idiots we have a problem (hell, even pathic Rockford where I live has a CM ride of about 20 dope heads once a month).

I mean...we need to look no forther than the best cyclist in history for his ideas...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmSkJ5ZwJXI

Quote Reply
Re: Critical Mass Police officer in trouble. [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I think CM is badly organized and counterproductive. It does nothing for cycling advocacy and really probably just makes more people pissed off at cyclists. That said, aside from the fact that they block traffic for an hour on Fridays, the overwhelming majority of participants are incredibly harmless - they're just a bunch of hippies. Arrest them? For what? Riding their bikes in the street? No, I want to keep doing that myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I know, next time you have an issue on the bike with a car - dont call 911...call Critical Mass.

Funny you should say that. The last time I had an issue on the bike with a car, it was a police car.
Quote Reply
Re: Critical Mass Police officer in trouble. [TriMatt18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Only 1 officer draws up an arrest so the 2nd officers statement would not be in the arrest paperwork. a 2nd officer is only questioned when something like this happens where there is an investigation to the arrest or major felonies.

Thanks for the clarification.
Quote Reply
Re: Critical Mass Police officer in trouble. [PeterAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't think of a better time to educate people/police about things like this.

Think about this for a minute:

A 3rd generation policeman does something really stupid.
Is really afraid he is going to get fired for what he did.
The city is afraid they are going to get their butts sued for what he did.
His father and grandfather give him their piece of mind.
They educate him as to what the goals of the CM rides are about as well as how to handle situations like that.
The city gives him responsibilities to provide security for the events.
He complies cuz if he doesn't, he'll get fired
He learns from his mistake and becomes a new poster boy for the cities gentler more compasionate police force.
The police department puts him in charge of new situations like that only under closer supervision.
He learns how to deal with the situations and teaches others as well.

Or he screws up again, only under better supervision he doesn't hurt anyone and just gets fired.

Wouldn't that be a better deal?

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Critical Mass Police officer in trouble. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no. he's a bully. fire him.
Quote Reply
Re: Critical Mass Police officer in trouble. [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
no. he's a bully. fire him.

Jeesh...you dont know that.

I tell you what, if you take a clip of a persons life and judge them on 15 seconds....that would be like thinking everyone on ST was EXACTLY the way the post and think 100% of what they post (unlike me who posts to get a reaction and make folks think most of the time). They MANY folks here who know me personally know this to be true.

Quote Reply

Prev Next