Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crashed IA - Shredded basebar - Racing Nationals -- Help
Quote | Reply
Hey All,
So, my pre-race emergency... I crashed this am, a block from the house. I wasn't paying much attention to anything other than my body (fine) at the time,

Tonight, I went to go pack up my bike to head to cleveland tomorrow for Nationals. At that point I noticed a crack (more of shredded) IA basebar over by the brakes.

(IMG attached).

Its spongy to the touch, definitely cracked and not solid anymore... assuming its not ridable.

Anyone have a contact at felt that might be able to help me get this overnighted to cleveland by Friday AM? (Im also going to reach out ot some NYC shops and see if anyone wants to part out a floor model and let me buy the basebar, while we get them a replacement) Any other ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Crashed IA - Shredded basebar - Racing Nationals -- Help [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Crashed IA - Shredded basebar - Racing Nationals -- Help [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's spongy, no it isn't
Quote Reply
Re: Crashed IA - Shredded basebar - Racing Nationals -- Help [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't really tell anything from that out of focus photo.
Quote Reply
Re: Crashed IA - Shredded basebar - Racing Nationals -- Help [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a better shot, in focus (my bad) .
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RKl8IaMcjfx3RDtVWxY7nZcFXd9eMiNX

You can see the crushed carbon, and the individual fibers pretty clearly. note :Its only "white" because I turned on a flash.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ps, front to back feels pretty stiff just pushing right on the scuff area is where it's spongy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did something similar to this down in Australia before worlds like 10 years ago. I didn’t have any issues during the race. You’re not going to be riding with your hands out there so I wouldn’t worry about. If it was the stem or something sure, but carbon layups are pretty strong and can handle stuff like this when it happens. I wouldn’t ride it like that forever but for once race I don’t see an issue.

Just don’t crank on the bike while holding onto that side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got an aluminum bayonet bar you're welcome to borrow for the weekend. I'm NYC based and will be in Cleveland today. Shoot me a PM if you want to use it.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saw the picture it’s worse than mine was but literally the exact same spot. If it was me I wouldn’t worry about it because you’re just gonna stress then. If this was on one of the extensions or stem I wouldn’t be saying that. But I think you’ll be fine just don’t torque it while you ride which shouldn’t be an issue since your not sprinting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike Authority in Broadview Heights is maybe the closest dealer for Felt. Might be able to help.

Personally, I’d ride that and replace when possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Crashed IA - Shredded basebar - Racing Nationals -- Help [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all.

So, end result.. It felt ok in the trainer this am, and when I got to cle I grabbed some jbweld plastiweld (the one for carbon fiber and thermoplastics) and worked it into the cracks. So, now they've got a nice bandaid over them... And my coach asked why id ever be out of aero anyway :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you gotta hit the brakes, then hit a bump and it goes, it's not our fault!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even if it feels fixed I would replace that ASAP. That crack will propagate and cause a failure either when you dive into a corner or try and accelerate out of a corner. With Tri bikes you put a lot of weight thru the bars and over the front wheel and a failure at that point in the bar is going to be a nasty accident.

I have ridden a bike with similar damage on a trainer for months while working out a replacement so I'm not suggesting it will fall apart immediately, but I also wouldn't consider it safe on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Crashed IA - Shredded basebar - Racing Nationals -- Help [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, don't get me wrong, parts on order.
Just need it to last through nationals, on a very flat course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be fine. Good luck!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcohen24 wrote:
Oh, don't get me wrong, parts on order.
Just need it to last through nationals, on a very flat course.

I'm volunteering to do on-course bike service. I'll bring some gorilla tape, just in case. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couldn't you use something like FiberFix Tape wrap for a temporary fix?

FiberFix
Quote Reply