Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crankset & BB help
Quote | Reply
I can only promise you that I've done my research before asking this novice question, but here goes:

I'm replacing my FSA Energy crankset and bottom bracket with Shimano Ultegra. Same compact 50/34, same 170mm length, same threaded-style BB. Is there anything I'm missing or have incorrect for this swap? Does 10-speed vs 11-speed matter (I have 10)?

What I have:
Quote:

What I ordered: https://www.ebay.com/...p2057872.m2749.l2649
Quote:
Last edited by: mdsfx: Sep 10, 18 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: Crankset & BB help [mdsfx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdsfx wrote:
I can only promise you that I've done my research before asking this novice question, but here goes:

I'm replacing my FSA Energy crankset and bottom bracket with Shimano Ultegra. Same compact 50/34, same 170mm length, same threaded-style BB. Is there anything I'm missing or have incorrect for this swap? Does 10-speed vs 11-speed matter (I have 10)?

What I have:
Quote:

What I ordered: https://www.ebay.com/...p2057872.m2749.l2649
Quote:

I'm pretty sure the Shimano crank will have a smaller spindle, 24mm if I'm not mistaken while the FSA will have 30mm. Someone will tell me if I'm wrong. You may then need a bb adaptor to make the Shimano crank work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should have purchased an Ultegra FC-6700 10-speed crankset.
Quote Reply
Re: Crankset & BB help [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"the FSA will have 30mm"

The picture clearly shows that it doesn't have a 30mm axle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nah, he's getting a new threaded BB with the shimano crank.

10sp vs 11sp on the front chain rings shouldn't matter. I run a 10sp front 50-34 with 11sp everything else on one of my bikes. I cant imagine it would be a problem in reverse.
Quote Reply
Re: Crankset & BB help [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tfleeger wrote:

10sp vs 11sp on the front chain rings shouldn't matter. I run a 10sp front 50-34 with 11sp everything else on one of my bikes. I cant imagine it would be a problem in reverse.

This is what I had read. Does this create problems for others?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll only bump this once. Feedback seems conflicting. Anyone else have input?

I really appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10/11 speed doesn’t matter.

FSA 24mm isn’t always the same as Shimano 24mm. Weird but they aren’t always the same spec. They measure a few thousandths different—sometimes. There have been a few times where I couldn’t use an fsa crank in a Shimano B.B. just too tight. I’d have to mill down the slightly oversized spindle on the fsa crank.
Quote Reply
Re: Crankset & BB help [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that the OP purchased a Shimano bottom bracket with the Shimano crankset.
Quote Reply
Re: Crankset & BB help [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah—missed that part. I guess just for general info then on Shimano vs fsa. Just make 24mm equal 24.00mm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mdsfx wrote:
tfleeger wrote:

This is what I had read. Does this create problems for others?

I was using 10 speed SRAM chainrings on my Quarq and moved it from my 10 speed Force CAAD10 to my 11 speed Ultegra 9r8000) R5. It shifted perfectly fine, but I was getting a little more noise out of the drive train. Not only was it annoying to me, others I rode with commented about it. It wasn't rubbing anything, and happened in both the big and small rings across all gears. Swapped out to Praxis 11 speed rings and the noise instantly was reduced to what I would consider normal/acceptable. Shifting quality remained the same.

I know this is the opposite of what you're doing, but I too believed that the rings didn't matter either way. It sort of mattered in my case.
Last edited by: Jason N: Sep 10, 18 15:02
Quote Reply
Re: Crankset & BB help [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the info everyone. Much appreciated!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just installed this last night a test rode it today. Works beautifully. No issues whatsoever with the 11-speed/10-speed parts. I did also throw on a new Ultegra chain and 105 cassette since mine were worn a bit.

Thanks so much for the information!
Last edited by: mdsfx: Sep 15, 18 9:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to know. I just replaced my FSA Gossamer crank on my tri bike with a Shimano Ultegra 6700 crankset I had sitting around (so I could switch my Stages power meter back and forth between my road and tri bike). Only problem is that my crankset is 172.5 mm and my power meter crank arm is 170 mm. I had to use the BB30 adaptor to get the crankset to work, but haven't had any issues. If the difference in length gets annoying I may end up using that eBay link.
Quote Reply