Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cranks - Kind of Funny if
Quote | Reply
it did not happen to you!

Bought my first "new" bike 4 yrs ago, frame went back 2 yrs ago under warranty. Recently, right before an IM race took it into for service (new mechanic) and packing before travel to race. Other than normal wear (cables, BB and rear der) I got the dreaded phone call, that went something like this:

"So how long hace you been ridding the bike this way?"

answer - 4 yrs.

"Well do you suffer from hip problems??"

Answer: "Yeah 4 &^%*&^% yrs worth".

"your cranks are the different lenghts, left is 175 left is 170!"

I am at this point speechless, not sure to cry or be happy. After telling anyone who will listen and about 1000$ worth of therapy (from massage to sports med) that my legs are different lengths and to be told they were not, I might have found the answer. Also went through 4 different bike fittings, no one picked this up until I changed mechanic who took the cranks off to inspect the bb.

What do you reckon, should I go back to the store that sold me the bike in the first place and complain? Should they refund me part of the cost of new cranks and some of my medical cost??

BTW I raced the IM race with 172.5 on both sides, which on hind sight I should have left the 175/170 on, as I suffered with lower back problems from about 30km into the race.

Re: Cranks - Kind of Funny if [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am no lawyer but considering the gravity of this situation it may be to your benefit to speak to a lawyer about what your options are...

I think the worst thing you could do is to go into the store while you are really stemed get into a big fight and make things worse than they already are...

It is also theoretically possible that the mistake was made by the manufacturer? or the cranks were a mismatch pair in the box...

I am definately not a legal expert but I am sure that if you want a constructive outcome, don't do anything while you are mad
Quote Reply
Re: Cranks - Kind of Funny if [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's really not funny at all. I'm truly bummed for you. Probably the worst case of a bike shop really screwing a rider that I've heard. I mean there's crap like misassembling a bike and having it fall apart at speed but at least that happens and is over with. This was a four year ordeal and it's not like there wasn't attempts to find out what was wrong.

How the f*** do cranks get mismatched like that? Not a lawyer so don't know what can be done legally but couldn't hurt to ask one.

I can't imagine anyone thinking to check for mismatching crank lengths as a possible problem - never would've occurred to me. Though now if I hear a complaint about hip pain, I'll suggest it as a long shot.
Quote Reply
Re: Cranks - Kind of Funny if [carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard of this at least 3 other times. In those cases it was cought early. I guess it's like shoes I know shoes stories always check both shoes for the size
Quote Reply