Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crank arm length and calf pain
Quote | Reply
Is it possible that if my crank arms were too long it could contribute to my pedal stroke becoming very calf centric as my quads/ hamstring/ glutes are unable to contribute fire? I have been working on bike position and we have moved the seat around and i still have a lot of tension building in my calves from the bike.. I’m wondering if perhaps I’m too calf centric and that could be an issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Crank arm length and calf pain [KENNBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KENNBR wrote:
Is it possible that if my crank arms were too long it could contribute to my pedal stroke becoming very calf centric as my quads/ hamstring/ glutes are unable to contribute fire? I have been working on bike position and we have moved the seat around and i still have a lot of tension building in my calves from the bike.. I’m wondering if perhaps I’m too calf centric and that could be an issue?
I think you're starting in the weeds. I'd look at cleat position, saddle height, toe pointing, etc. as culprits first.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Crank arm length and calf pain [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
KENNBR wrote:
I think you're starting in the weeds. I'd look at cleat position, saddle height, toe pointing, etc. as culprits first.

Bingo.

I bought new shoes and accidentally installed the cleats while measuring my fore aft position backwards. After calf issues in a ride I found out what I had done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KENNBR wrote:

If your calf muscles are giving you trouble try moving the cleats rearward on your shoes - you want your foot further forward over the pedal. That will take some load off your calves during the pedal stroke.
Quote Reply
Re: Crank arm length and calf pain [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes... I have my cleats all the way back.. physical therapist says it def is coming from the toe being pointed but I cant seem to get through my pedal stroke with out pointing. I went from riding 3 hours no problem to not lasting 30 minutes just spinning on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

KENNBR wrote:
Yikes... I have my cleats all the way back.. physical therapist says it def is coming from the toe being pointed but I cant seem to get through my pedal stroke with out pointing. I went from riding 3 hours no problem to not lasting 30 minutes just spinning on the trainer.

Try lowering your saddle. It may be your natural style but pointing toes could be a sign that your saddle is too high.

And concentrate when you pedal on trying to push down with your heels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you post some pics or video? 30 minutes into a easy training spin with symptoms has to be something fairly obvious or perhaps not related to the bike.
Quote Reply