Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crank Length ?
Quote | Reply
Hi, Does anyone have experience using cranks shorter than 170mm? Or have information relating to recommended crank lengths for cyclists of certain heights or leg lengths?
Quote Reply
Re: Crank Length ? [alex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a fixed gear bike with 165mm cranks that I used to ride every spring. I'm not sure if it was all the downhills or the short cranks but, boy did I learn to spin fast!

As for articles on crank length there a lots, but a brief look at them last year left me more confused than before. This is probably the most complicated issue in bicycle fitting.

One of the better links I have handy is on scaling crank length to inseam:

http://www.nettally.com/palmk/crankset.html

There are some others on the inter-relation of crank length and cadence and crank length and gear ratio that need to be considered. Crank length also impacts my favourite fitting topics - minimum hip angle and technique.

BTW, what is your interest in short cranks? What lengths have you ridden before? What do you hope to gain?
Last edited by: Dan Rishworth: Mar 19, 03 7:47
Quote Reply
Re: Crank Length ? [Dan Rishworth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That website, I've read before and seems to go against everything I have ever read or heard. But it does make sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Crank Length ? [Dan Rishworth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have only ridden 170's and 172.5. I find that I feel a lot more powerful with the 172.5's but I need to ride them for a while to get used to spinning with them. I use 170's on my training bike and 172.5's on the racing bike.

I have a friend who is relatively short and wishes to try 165's. Pehaps he should try 165 and ride 170's to race - what do you ride now?

Alex
Quote Reply