Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cramps, strains and spasms
Quote | Reply
I was half way through an hour run when I started to get a pain in my calf. Thinking it was a cramp, I continued running. After a few hundred yards, the pain became sharp and I had to stop and walk. After the run, ice and ace bandage. I now look forward to a few days of loafing.

It makes me wonder if I am confused about the difference between a cramp, and a strain. How can I tell the difference? When I read Julstro, she says everything is a spasm, how to tell the difference between a strain and a spasm?

Also, what is the appropriate way to "treat" it on the road. I always thought that you run through a cramp. In this case, it seems like the wrong move.

I know that the long term solution is to stretch the calf. I do this regularly, but after the run, not before.

I know this issue will pass, but I want to try and not repeat it.

TIA
mark
Quote Reply
Re: Cramps, strains and spasms [woodenski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know much about how to tell the difference, but as one who has very stiff calves all the time, I can suggest lots of massage to loosen it up. I use the Stick a lot; a friend lies on his back on the floor, with one foot on the floor, and moves the calf of the other leg over the knee of the stationary leg. Not sure if I described that adequately. That way he uses his knee to knead into the calf muscles, then he switches legs. If it was just a cramp, perhaps you were dehydrated or need some more calcium, potassium, or other -iums in your diet. I hope it's transient, whatever it is, and that you can enjoy your few days off!
Quote Reply
Re: Cramps, strains and spasms [woodenski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert, but my educated guess is that a strained muscle stems from a muscle spasm(s) that have contracted so tightly that surrounding muscle tissue may have been damaged or torn (on a microscopic scale?).<p>

I regularly consult Julstro's "pain free triathelete", and I'd say stretching is a bad idea unless accompanied by/preceded by proper massage. Use a stick, use the knee of your opposite leg, your thumbs & fingers. Anything to reach the trigger points. If you get a cramp while running, you'll likely need to stop and apply massage to the affected area with whatever you have "hand-y" -- =) I bet if you run hard enough, any spasm will turn into a strain if left untreated.
<p>

In Reply To:
It makes me wonder if I am confused about the difference between a cramp, and a strain. How can I tell the difference? When I read Julstro, she says everything is a spasm, how to tell the difference between a strain and a spasm?

Also, what is the appropriate way to "treat" it on the road. I always thought that you run through a cramp. In this case, it seems like the wrong move.

I know that the long term solution is to stretch the calf. I do this regularly, but after the run, not before.

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Last edited by: powergyoza: Sep 2, 03 18:50
Quote Reply