Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cramp in traps while running! HELP!!
Quote | Reply
Hey team,

I’ve recently been getting some bad cramps in my trapezius muscle ( shoulder ) while running. Only on my right side. This happens right around the 4-6 km mark and stays for the duration of my runs. Usually 10-15 km. I was hoping maybe somebody has experienced this in the past and what they did to overcome it.

Some background.

I’m an average runner. Last year for 10 k I was anywhere from 45:30-48:00 minutes but I wanted to break 45 minutes this year. I put in some good winter training and some hard work this spring and I got to my goal. Since then I’ve been pushing even harder and recently just ran a 42:50. By pushing harder I mean more training and better eating habits. I’m feeling great during these runs minus the shoulder cramp. I’ve been eating healthy. I drink a lot of water and I’m fairly stress free lol. Some of the symptoms I’ve googled suggest those as triggers. The only other thing I can think of is possibly my form. I don’t think I’ve changed anything but with the faster pace it could be something small and I’m not noticing it.

Anyone with suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Quinner
Quote Reply
Re: Cramp in traps while running! HELP!! [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s likely coming from your neck. Do you lose any ability to turn or bend your neck (even slightly) toward the right side when running? Any stiffness in your neck otherwise?
Quote Reply
Re: Cramp in traps while running! HELP!! [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I honesty can’t recall at the moment. I’ll have to test that theory on my next run. It’s not jumping out to me that I can’t move my neck though. I scan a lot of intersections for cars though but I don’t remember it being stiff.
Thinking back though I did jam my neck about a month ago but it was on the left side. Maybe some over compensating has made it sore on the right.
Quote Reply
Re: Cramp in traps while running! HELP!! [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go see a good physio or osteopath...the neck cramps could be stiffness in your form or could come from your back or you neck or even your shoulders. The reason I says see one is that finding where the problem is requires someone looking at you in totality and not just addressing the symptom. For example I had a problem with my calf that was coming from my upper back. Once the tension in my upper back was released the calf problem went away. Even after a year of working with an osteopath I knew to expect the unexpected but I didn't see that one coming. :)))))

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply