Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cozumel 70.3, hurricane season?
Quote | Reply
Thinking about cozumel 70.3 for next year ... but I read that its dead in the middle of hurricane season.. is this a hit/miss? Would hate to have event or trip ruined because of bad weather..

What's everyone experience with this event's weather? Rainy?
Quote Reply
Re: Cozumel 70.3, hurricane season? [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is smack dab in hurricane season. Yes, it's a hit/miss. Saw photos of this year's race on facebook, people running through ankle deep water in spots. Of course, I was there (volunteering) at the full a couple years ago and they experienced the same thing. Rain could hit any time, but September is the rainy hurricane season. It's also a very hot time of year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The chances of a hurricane spoiling the race is very small. First, there needs to be a hurricane, second, it needs to hit Cozumel, and third it needs to be powerful enough to do significant damage and hit Cozumel very close to race day.

And hey, if you get stuck in a hurricane instead of racing a 70.3, just think of it as a different kind of adventure!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
Thinking about cozumel 70.3 for next year ... but I read that its dead in the middle of hurricane season.. is this a hit/miss? Would hate to have event or trip ruined because of bad weather..

What's everyone experience with this event's weather? Rainy?

i'd watch for turtle reports. i've been basing the hurricane seasons off turtle nests and since the girls (Emily and Wilma) they've been dead no for prognosticating hurricanes.

September is our rainy month. you'll likely get rain.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I was there this year, as a volunteer and had I done the race I would have put it in the "epic" category. Race started out really nice in the dark but as dawn broke and the swimmers were getting ready a downpour started. Only lasted for less than 1/2 an hour and was over before the swim start.

On the ride, folks experienced the winds on the East side of the island. That is usual and is why disk wheels are not allowed. But, the rain came back hitting the later bike finishers and the runners. Around the turn around point (which was also the finish), runners were in water that was above their ankles, I would have said calf deep. But, it was all warm. Asa. Volunteer, the driest part of me was my armpits and in that temperature and humidity they were not that dry.

Still it is hit and miss. The next day, no rain, higher temps and humidity though. We were on the island for the week leading up to the race and then just south of Cancun for the week after. For the second week, very little rain but lots of heat (highs around 30 to 32 C BUT, "feels like" 40-45).

So, as long as you are acclimated and drink a lot you should be good. Weather "is what it is" regardless of where you are.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Cozumel 70.3, hurricane season? [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the race this year and it's pretty much as as BCDON described it. Initial downpour at the start and then some serious rain for a couple hours in the early afternoon. I had just finished so I missed the rain, but it accumulated quickly.

From what I saw in the 9 days we were there, afternoon rain is common. It was less common in the morning, so depending on your expected time, there's a high probability you could miss the rain altogether.

I wouldn't let that deter you from racing, though. If anything would deter you, it should probably be the wind, heat and humidity!

Great race, though...
Quote Reply