Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Covid impact on local triathlons
Quote | Reply
I hesitated in posting this thread because it’s easy to get all wound up in Covid and what it might mean, but decided to throw this out any ways.....

I’m wondering what the impact on smaller local triathlon RDs/ production companies will be. With in many cases expenses incurred already but no races, will we see a number of local tri orgs not survive?

I know it depends on how long this goes on, but as I look at the data, it’s likely that triathlons are still being cancelled all summer long as a number of projections show infections not peaking until July, with a long tail after that....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid impact on local triathlons [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My races in May and June have not been canceled. If the states continue to have bans on gatherings of more than 100 then they probably will. Looks like most race organizations are holding off cancellations for as long as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Small race so I thought it was going to happen but aquatic center closed so it’s cancelled. That’s why I slept in this morning. Our local sprint is a pool swim most of the time. I think one in next weekend is cancelled too. I’m pretty much bummed out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There will definitely be some events and event companies that go under, same for timing companies.

Margins are super tight for most and reserves minimal.

I know my event/timing company now has zero events for the next 8 weeks, possibly longer. That means zero revenue coming in yet payroll still needs to be met.

It’s going to be an interesting year

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Front-page article on this very topic: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...VID-19_Era_7605.html

Now, some caveats: we're non-profit, donate all proceeds to charitable organizations, and we take $0 in compensation from the event. But I can't imagine being in Boots, or Mark Walter's, or DelMo's shoes right now.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Covid impact on local triathlons [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FF Boots wrote:
There will definitely be some events and event companies that go under, same for timing companies.

Margins are super tight for most and reserves minimal.

I know my event/timing company now has zero events for the next 8 weeks, possibly longer. That means zero revenue coming in yet payroll still needs to be met.

It’s going to be an interesting year

I wish you the best.

Most of our local dus/pool tris/outdoor tris are May-Oct. So everyone is holding off. Even the Ottawa Marathon (largest in Canada) on the last weekend of May is still on. The 10K and marathon are IAAF Gold events, so everyone is likely trying to wait till any decisions are made since end of May is a long time away and that weekend is the kick off to the summer tourism season locally and everyone hopes all of that happens.

Note that Triathlon Canada has formally cancelled all events to end of April. It basically means nothing other than few camps and a few duathlons being canned. Once we get into May, lots more duathlons and pool tris have to be cancelled and into June, that's when the larger local and IM events start going under the axe
Quote Reply
Re: Covid impact on local triathlons [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev: the infection curves I've seen point to maximum numbers of infected some time around July, with a significant tail.

Although there is more we don't know than we do, I think the current social distancing stuff (and related cancelling of sporting events) is going to be a fact of life for quite a bit longer than most people are thinking right now...

gives me no joy to point this out

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The local tri organization near me just canceled all events until May and then they are going to re-evaluate the situation.

I really hope they survive. They put on great races for a great price and do a lot of good in the community.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid impact on local triathlons [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
The local tri organization near me just canceled all events until May and then they are going to re-evaluate the situation.

I really hope they survive. They put on great races for a great price and do a lot of good in the community.

Yup same. My local OD has just been canned, they normally get around 300. My 70.3 in May looks like it's going to be cancelled too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m glad to see people finally recognizing this (unfortunate) fact. Races are done for a while even if not officially cancelled. I think we are on the brink of a national shutdown (not exactly sure what that will entail)....bars and restaurants are starting to close in various places, etc. Tri races are far down the list of priorities. But sure hope they can survive for the future!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
I hesitated in posting this thread because it’s easy to get all wound up in Covid and what it might mean, but decided to throw this out any ways.....

I’m wondering what the impact on smaller local triathlon RDs/ production companies will be. With in many cases expenses incurred already but no races, will we see a number of local tri orgs not survive?

I know it depends on how long this goes on, but as I look at the data, it’s likely that triathlons are still being cancelled all summer long as a number of projections show infections not peaking until July, with a long tail after that....

If mass events are cancelled through the end of summer and the economy locks down that hard that long, then bankruptcies and unemployment will go through the roof. The costs and pain caused by social distancing cannot exceed the costs of the disease or politicians will find themselves getting the boot at the next election. I think the economy can only take 2 months of this - max - without risking a depression. But the recession is already coming. 2008 will look like a picnic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone who has already registered for races in 2020 shouldn't ask for a refund or deferment. If it's feasible (and most folks who do triathlon can afford it) we should consider it a hopeful down payment so that races and race organizers can survive through this. Personally, I only have two HIM races that I've registered for, but had been considering at least 4-5 others.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Covid impact on local triathlons [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Anyone who has already registered for races in 2020 shouldn't ask for a refund or deferment. If it's feasible (and most folks who do triathlon can afford it) we should consider it a hopeful down payment so that races and race organizers can survive through this. Personally, I only have two HIM races that I've registered for, but had been considering at least 4-5 others.

Hear hear. I also am in for 2 half irons but I was able to race an early Oly

Maybe they get postponed and deferred. Maybe not, or maybe I can’t do the new dates. I consider it a small donation to the financial health of my favored sport
Quote Reply
Re: Covid impact on local triathlons [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:

That's how I'm treating my entry fees (aside from my IM...screw Wanda). I have about $600 out there in race fees for 2020 right now. If I don't race and I get to in 2021 it'll be worth it tbh.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid impact on local triathlons [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
rcmioga wrote:

If mass events are cancelled through the end of summer and the economy locks down that hard that long, then bankruptcies and unemployment will go through the roof. The costs and pain caused by social distancing cannot exceed the costs of the disease or politicians will find themselves getting the boot at the next election. I think the economy can only take 2 months of this - max - without risking a depression. But the recession is already coming. 2008 will look like a picnic.

I have a decent window into the future. I get the electricity usage or a variety of cities around the world as part of the operation of my company's software for the energy industry. Low energy use now = low economic turnover later. This social distancing stuff if extended too long will kill the economy a lot faster than a few millions deaths globally. There are over 7000 million people on earth. More of us will die by suicide and heart attacks from this than from Covid. I sent my employees home on full pay and many were already worried about what it all means and I just had to commit to keeping up the payroll until we can come out of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smaller local events will have the issue that advance registrations will stop or slow to a trickle. A race in September may have to pull the plug in June for fear the registrations will not cover expenses.
I have registered for 4 events. May is toast. June is toast. August is a maybe. SOS in September which is sold out and a small field so still holding out hope there that the summer heat will slow the spread down.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid impact on local triathlons [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is why I now think this year will be a complete wash for smaller events. The three month window prior to the race in which the organizers have to decide to pull the plug or not. All signs point to COVID-19 being very problematic throughout the summer. So events scheduled as late as September or October are likely to cancel because nobody is going to register for them. We can forget any races prior to September. Just not happening.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Covid impact on local triathlons [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobAllen wrote:
Smaller local events will have the issue that advance registrations will stop or slow to a trickle. A race in September may have to pull the plug in June for fear the registrations will not cover expenses.
I have registered for 4 events. May is toast. June is toast. August is a maybe. SOS in September which is sold out and a small field so still holding out hope there that the summer heat will slow the spread down.

See my other thread. An event in August in your backyard will get my entry fee shortly.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Covid impact on local triathlons [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
RobAllen wrote:

See my other thread. An event in August in your backyard will get my entry fee shortly.

Dev

That's great. I am registered and looking forward to racing it.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid impact on local triathlons [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
This is why I now think this year will be a complete wash for smaller events. The three month window prior to the race in which the organizers have to decide to pull the plug or not. All signs point to COVID-19 being very problematic throughout the summer. So events scheduled as late as September or October are likely to cancel because nobody is going to register for them. We can forget any races prior to September. Just not happening.

Local Tampa Bay favorite "Escape from Fort Desoto" (several hundred athletes) postponed from March 28 to May 24. Hold this space and let's see if it happens. I am not entered but am optimistic that this will happen because I firmly believe that the economy cannot withstand closures and cancellation beyond mid May. When the economic pain exceeds the impact of the hospital crush, government and businesses must go forward. That tipping point is hard on the heels of the virus.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid impact on local triathlons [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Local Tampa Bay favorite "Escape from Fort Desoto" (several hundred athletes) postponed from March 28 to May 24. Hold this space and let's see if it happens. I am not entered but am optimistic that this will happen because I firmly believe that the economy cannot withstand closures and cancellation beyond mid May. When the economic pain exceeds the impact of the hospital crush, government and businesses must go forward. That tipping point is hard on the heels of the virus.

When the peak of the virus is past there will be a big focus on the economy bouncing back. But surely the key for that will be what is happening with the virus not what is happening with the economy? The economic pain is a bit irrelevant if the risk to health is too great. Late May seems too early. If that was likely I think the message we are getting would be different. At the moment the message is all about the long term. In the UK they are deliberately not taking certain measures at the moment because they are worried people can only live with the restrictions for so long. That indicates to me that the information they have is this is going on longer than May.

In the end it probably doesn't matter. Lots of things will of changed by then and if it is somehow being held you can enter a local at short notice. But if you it affects training or other plans I think the far safer assumption is it won't happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's likely that COVID-19 will wipe out everything in the next 60 days as far as races are concerned. 4 Peaks Racing cancelled Tri-4-The Cure which was supposed to happen on Sunday. They promote several running and multi-sport races including Cactus Man which has been a favorite of mine. Looking at the AZ Calendar, the first thing up that probably will get off is Deuces Wild Endurance Festival in June.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have only registered for Ironman Louisville.

I race the Kinetic Multisports races in Virginia. So far no cancellations. The first one is scheduled at the YMCA in Smithfield, VA on the 4th of April. All Hampton Roads Ys are closed until the 29th of March.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Covid impact on local triathlons [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

When the peak of the virus is past there will be a big focus on the economy bouncing back. But surely the key for that will be what is happening with the virus not what is happening with the economy? The economic pain is a bit irrelevant if the risk to health is too great. Late May seems too early. If that was likely I think the message we are getting would be different. At the moment the message is all about the long term. In the UK they are deliberately not taking certain measures at the moment because they are worried people can only live with the restrictions for so long. That indicates to me that the information they have is this is going on longer than May.

In the end it probably doesn't matter. Lots of things will of changed by then and if it is somehow being held you can enter a local at short notice. But if you it affects training or other plans I think the far safer assumption is it won't happen.

This is where we disagree (and I'm 62). The economic pain to those who are least at risk is incredibly relevant to them and will likely become too great to withstand in a couple of months. Right now we are asking the young and healthy to sacrifice predominantly for the elderly. It is a big ask to do that through mid-May and I don't think it will be accepted after then. I'm not making a normative or moral statement; just a prediction. The well off on SlowTwitch and social media are the same people who weigh the health risks greater than the economic risks (at least for now). The hourly and paycheck to paycheck workers have a different tipping point. Re the UK; they probably should take as many deliberate measures as possible right now; but in the long run I totally agree with the assessment that people will not tolerate the restrictions for very long. In another month you are going to start seeing more and more news articles about the social and economic impact of closures. When that drumbeat gets too loud the political will to maintain the current slowdown will evaporate quickly. At that time the risk to the elderly will greatly increase as it will be up to them, not the younger generation to isolate themselves. It will suck for them. It will suck for the medical community. It just sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid impact on local triathlons [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I have only registered for Ironman Louisville. "

The green slime is getting more tolerable each cancellation :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next