Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Covid19 and triathlon
Quote | Reply
So, are we looking at a major disruption to the season?

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid19 and triathlon [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could be in Europe for the bigger events. In France (Paris) Paris' half marathon was cancelled this week-end (about 45K people) and all events that has a group gathering in a small area over 5000 people is forbidden.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe just stricter enforcements of drafting.
But in all seriousness, time will tell, there are many spring marathons and those will probably provide a good indication for further large sport events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
most races in Taiwan have been postponed. no march races. April is unsure...

so our races are temporarily unclear.

Challenge may go on in April

Ironman 70 3 and Ironman have been moved to Sept70.3, next yr full IM.

local events have also been postponed or cancelled....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saw an article from Boston about the Boston Marathon. They are not ready to cancel it yet but they are prepared to do so if necessary.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/...marathon-approaches/
Last edited by: lowcel: Mar 2, 20 7:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First Florida cases (2 cases) confirmed in Tampa, Florida and 2 deaths in Seattle Washington. It was enough for the President to interrupt TV with a statement. I'm guessing more races in the US will be affected. IM Florida 70.3 is next month and pretty close to Tampa. We will see what happens with that one.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At this point, I don't think there's any stopping it. All we can do is try to slow the spread so we don't overwhelm the health care system with more volume than they can handle at any given time. I think it's going to be a tough year for sporting events and the like. And I'd guess there's at least a 50% chance anyone in the US is going to be infected before they have a vaccine some time next year.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is yes we will see disruptions especially the next six months. I wouldn’t bank on any Ironman or Challenge race going as scheduled with the way things are going.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m registered for St. Anthony’s late April. I’m kinda expecting it may get cancelled. First 2 cases in Florida are right in that area. I guess it will depend on how big the spread ends up being, but it seems kind of inevitable at this point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the US, it all hinges on the Boston Marathon. If that race gets canceled, postponed or becomes very costly maintain safe standards. Look for a domino effect across ALL large races and triathlons. My advise is to get insurance on all travel plans and races, they may be canceled this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid19 and triathlon [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
At this point, I don't think there's any stopping it. All we can do is try to slow the spread so we don't overwhelm the health care system with more volume than they can handle at any given time. I think it's going to be a tough year for sporting events and the like. And I'd guess there's at least a 50% chance anyone in the US is going to be infected before they have a vaccine some time next year.

I'm inclined to agree, given that this article: https://www.theatlantic.com/...ovid-vaccine/607000/ seems like a pretty good prediction of what has happened in the US in the past week.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid19 and triathlon [Terryh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terryh wrote:
In the US, it all hinges on the Boston Marathon. If that race gets canceled, postponed or becomes very costly maintain safe standards. Look for a domino effect across ALL large races and triathlons. My advise is to get insurance on all travel plans and races, they may be canceled this year.

Yeah, or if Boston happens and then even a few US runners can later trace infections to having run it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly, we will have huge societal (and racing) disruptions.

But, not being an expert on viruses, I am kind of curious about one thing:

Will this thing rage across populations pretty consistently all summer (over the northern hemisphere), or will it essentially 'disappear' for the summer and then only to reemerge next fall?

Because, in my experience I pretty much never get sick in the spring/summer/fall. But the winter is another matter ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Mar 2, 20 9:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not Tri related, but sports related. Imagine the NCAA Basketball tournament without any fans in the bleachers.
https://www.cnn.com/...uest-trnd/index.html
Quote Reply
Re: Covid19 and triathlon [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Clearly, we will have huge societal (and racing) disruptions.

But, not being an expert on viruses, I am kind of curious about one thing:

Will this thing rage across populations pretty consistently all summer (over the northern hemisphere), or will it essentially 'disappear' for the summer and then only to reemerge next fall?

Because, in my experience I pretty much never get sick in the spring/summer/fall. But the winter is another matter ...

If you look at incidences in Africa, India, Indonesia, South America were it is already 30C+ it is very low.

It could be because no one from affected countries travels there, but that's not true. Africa is overrun by Chinese businessmen and labour and if it can go from China to Iran it can go from China to Africa....could be that Africa does not report.

One thing I can share is the airports in India had super tight screening of arriving passenger when I was there last month. United Arab Emirates, UK, Europe, USA and Canada had ZERO screening other than asking you where you had been.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With Delta and American airlines cancelling Milan flights till later. I wonder what the Giro is thinking right now? I don't think I would go tour Italy North of Pisa anytime soon. But Italy seems to be working harder on quarantine than a lot of places. Be interesting how the refugee camps and movement from African countries will pan out. I think sporting events are a first world problem, but none the less a possible vector problem. Since it is new and 95% or more of us have no immunity factor from past exposure or a vaccine, it could be a very interesting next 6 months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
So, are we looking at a major disruption to the season?

Nah. I have it on very good authority that these gatherings aren't an issue.

Quote:
Ahead of a planned campaign rally Monday night in North Carolina, President Trump told reporters that he considers it “very safe” to hold such large-scale events despite concerns about the spread of the coronavirus.
“Well, these were set up a long time ago, and others are,” Trump said in the Oval Office. “I mean, you could ask that to the Democrats because they’re having a lot of rallies. They’re all having rallies; that’s what they’re doing.”
Asked whether it’s safe, Trump replied: “I think it’s very safe, yeah. I think it’s very safe.”

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Covid19 and triathlon [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Priceless. I wish I was such a genius.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We don't really know what will happen.

Like other coronavirus and other cold viruses, they typically drop as temperature warms up. So most experts are hoping this will be the case. There have been relatively few cases in the southern hemisphere.

Will it reemerge? Don't know either but SARS and MERS didn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So let's say there's A disruption or a cancellation to race like Lake Placid which is the one that comes to mind because it's the one I'm registered for what are we thinking the financial aspect will be as far as refunds due to the virus and race cancellation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTMybQuRZ6E

Hopefully, after Bush and Bush Junior, you might have Trump and Trump Junior :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Not just a genius... a very stable genius! (eyeroll). Not to worry though. Mike Pence is hot on the Coronavirus case so I'm sure it'll all be gone by next week.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid19 and triathlon [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there something I am not understanding about this virus

The CDC reports approximately 12000 people die of the flu in the United States each year. Estimates range from 300,000 to 600,000 flu deaths worldwide each year.

Is it the potential that is causing such concern with Covid19?
Quote Reply
Re: Covid19 and triathlon [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at some of the stats, I am not sure if the virus will slow down, but what I do think is that people will realize it is not that serious of a virus and life will resume soon. From what I understand, it is not likely to be substantively more contagious than the flu, or more deadly than the flu. I think as more people see this, the panic (I live in Washington state and I would say people are on the verge of panic after the weekend) will fall and people will resume life as usual. Boston or March Madness might be affected because they are so close, but I don't think anything after that.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid19 and triathlon [henritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
henritri wrote:
Could be in Europe for the bigger events. In France (Paris) Paris' half marathon was cancelled this week-end (about 45K people) and all events that has a group gathering in a small area over 5000 people is forbidden.

My goodness, that is a total overreaction! I can't believe both Tokyo and Paris would cancel. The virus has not been shown to be any worse than the regular fly and it only has one strain!!! The regular flu has hundreds of strains. A connected world, social media, and a litigious society is more the cause of a pandemic than the virus itself. People, was your hands thoroughly (which you should be doing already) and let the professionals handle it. Things will be fine....

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next