Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Couple of basic questions on Disc Brakes....Felt B14 (2014 {?} model)
Quote | Reply
Been out of the game for the last year (been a nice reprieve), and will start training again. My B14 has been sitting in the garage for the last 12 months, and before I hook it back up to the KK Road Machine, I was going to get an overhaul, or at least replace rusty/old parts.

So, my question revolves around disc brakes. Can this bike (http://2014.feltbicycles.com/...RI/B-Series/b14.aspx) get disc brakes put on? Is there an advantage to disc brakes vs 'traditional' brakes?

No clue on this stuff, and I assumed (yeah, I'm lazy) that a search here would turn up 1000 answers, most of which aren't relevant to me.

ALSO: Bike is originally spec'ed for SRAM components. If I wanted to switch to Shimano, is that a switch I could make? I assume it would need to be a complete overhaul, which I am not opposed to at all.

May have some follow up questions. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Couple of basic questions on Disc Brakes....Felt B14 (2014 {?} model) [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short answer: No.

Long Answer: Kind of. You can't put disc brakes on the rear since there needs to be mounts in the frame to hold the disc brake calipers. You can put disc brakes up front if you replace the fork with a disc brake compatible fork (ie. it has mounts for the caliper).

Is it worth it? IMO, unless you're doing crazy descents in wet weather with carbon rims, no. On top of fork you would need things like calipers, disc compatible wheel, rotor, pads, brake lever (if you go hydraulic). At that point you might as well sell the B14 and buy a disc brake bike.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Couple of basic questions on Disc Brakes....Felt B14 (2014 {?} model) [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, you can switch to Shimano components if you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mjpwooo wrote:
Been out of the game for the last year (been a nice reprieve), and will start training again. My B14 has been sitting in the garage for the last 12 months, and before I hook it back up to the KK Road Machine, I was going to get an overhaul, or at least replace rusty/old parts.

So, my question revolves around disc brakes. Can this bike (http://2014.feltbicycles.com/...RI/B-Series/b14.aspx) get disc brakes put on? Is there an advantage to disc brakes vs 'traditional' brakes?

No clue on this stuff, and I assumed (yeah, I'm lazy) that a search here would turn up 1000 answers, most of which aren't relevant to me.

ALSO: Bike is originally spec'ed for SRAM components. If I wanted to switch to Shimano, is that a switch I could make? I assume it would need to be a complete overhaul, which I am not opposed to at all.

May have some follow up questions. Thanks in advance.

You can switch the front to disc brakes, but it will mean a new fork and front wheel, along with the brakes, of course. It will also mean that the braking feel will be different on the front and rear brakes, which may or may not be something you can get used to. It isn't worth the hassle, IMO. Rim brakes will still be around for quite a while. You can still get cantilever brakes and V-brakes for mountain bikes.

Sram to shimano is easy. You just need new shifters and a rear derailleur to match the number of gears you have. (might also need a front derailleur too, I think the pull ratio has changed on the newer Shimano front derailleurs. If your gear works, I wouldn't bother making that switch either for a tri-bike.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply