Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Could we see a higher DNF rate in Kona PRO fields this year?
Quote | Reply
Trying to figure out the different scenarios at this year race...

Could we see a record of DNFs in the PRO fields this year with the return of SLOT allocation and prize money only paying up 10th place?

Strictly from a business point of view, is there any value finishing after 15th place? I know the virtue of finishing but financially just pack things early and
target another race to get some $$$ and possibly a spot for 2019.

I haven't seen anywhere how many spots will they award for Kona 2019 at this year race hopefully top 3? Anyone has an answer?
Quote Reply
Re: Could we see a higher DNF rate in Kona PRO fields this year? [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thorsten Radde does a good job of breaking down how it all works, and yes Top3 just need to validate for next year: https://www.trirating.com/...o-qualifying-system/

I personally don't see a difference in finishing 11th - DFL now, at least before the points for 11th- ~19th were still pretty good and worth "fighting" for. Now 11th is $0 and DFL is $0. Think you will see some guys that may not have been considered top 20 guys finishing in the Top 20 due to others dropping out. Think we will see something similar at IM's throughout the year, some guys getting into the prize money that usually would not due to the DNF rate of "top performers" being higher trying to save their legs for the next race.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Could we see a higher DNF rate in Kona PRO fields this year? [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hasn't 11th been 0$ for a very long time now?? I know it was 10 places in the early days, then sometime in the 90's they went to 15 places paid, but then they went back to only top 10 in the money. Did they push it out to 15 again, if so , when???
Quote Reply
Re: Could we see a higher DNF rate in Kona PRO fields this year? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you are correct. Sorry I see where I made it sound like it had changed. I meant that it’s $0 and no points, so nothing of value.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Could we see a higher DNF rate in Kona PRO fields this year? [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problem, thats why I'm here, to keep the history straight of our sport, and not let in the creep of fake news...(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Could we see a higher DNF rate in Kona PRO fields this year? [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do some pros have sponsorship deals that pay for performance? Like top 10, you get X bonus? Top 15, Y bonus and so on?

I think some running contracts are structured like that. It would be some motivation if they fell off the lead pack.
Quote Reply
Re: Could we see a higher DNF rate in Kona PRO fields this year? [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes some pro's do have have bonus/performance contracts

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Could we see a higher DNF rate in Kona PRO fields this year? [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As Desert Dude said (hey Brian, it's Elliot) almost all the high level pros will have contracts with performance bonus based on placement. However, most only pay out at the top 3 or 5 and if they are very lucky...top 10 in Hawaii. I have not heard of anyone with a bonus structure going past 10th; even for a world championship.

I never thought about it, but I agree that we could see a big drop off with the new rules. I guess we'll see in a month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
Thorsten Radde does a good job of breaking down how it all works, and yes Top3 just need to validate for next year: https://www.trirating.com/...o-qualifying-system/

I personally don't see a difference in finishing 11th - DFL now, at least before the points for 11th- ~19th were still pretty good and worth "fighting" for. Now 11th is $0 and DFL is $0. Think you will see some guys that may not have been considered top 20 guys finishing in the Top 20 due to others dropping out. Think we will see something similar at IM's throughout the year, some guys getting into the prize money that usually would not due to the DNF rate of "top performers" being higher trying to save their legs for the next race.

Another element to consider is pride. An 11th place Kona finish looks a LOT better on a pro resume than 49th and especially DNF. If I were running the marathon in no-man's land as a pro, I'd still try to get the best spot possible- even if it messes up my legs for the winter. There's a lot of time until Spring or early Summer to chase down qualification.
Quote Reply
Re: Could we see a higher DNF rate in Kona PRO fields this year? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not necessarily just about Kona the next year, it is also about $$$ for a lot of people. Not just prize money, but bonuses. So being able to bounce back and do 1-3 more races of 70.3 & IM's has the potential to be financially rewarding compared to that "prideful" 11th place finish. Don't get me wrong 11th is great at Kona, but in my opinion doesn't carry all that much weight for sponsorship, if you are 11th in Kona, more than likely you have a strong enough resume that the 11th is not going to carry much weight.

Can you remember who was 4th in Kona last year, let alone 11th? Very very few people can even tell you who was 2nd/3rd, let alone 11th.

But yes, your point of having pride, many people will finish simply for pride, and more so out of respect of the race. But many people it is a day of work, and if it does not make sense to finish from a business standpoint they may opt to DNF.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeremyscarroll wrote:
Do some pros have sponsorship deals that pay for performance? Like top 10, you get X bonus? Top 15, Y bonus and so on?

I think some running contracts are structured like that. It would be some motivation if they fell off the lead pack.

We had 1 or 2 qualify and complete clauses when we raced. If we qualified for a world championship and completed the race, we'd get a bonus. The real bonuses though were for top-3 or top-5.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember, this not a brand new change in the rules, it's a revert back to the old ways. Pro's were finishing 11th-40th for years bringing home nothing but pride.

Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:
Trying to figure out the different scenarios at this year race...

Could we see a record of DNFs in the PRO fields this year with the return of SLOT allocation and prize money only paying up 10th place?

Strictly from a business point of view, is there any value finishing after 15th place? I know the virtue of finishing but financially just pack things early and
target another race to get some $$$ and possibly a spot for 2019.

I haven't seen anywhere how many spots will they award for Kona 2019 at this year race hopefully top 3? Anyone has an answer?

Apparently not.

Male
2015: 29.6% (16/54)
2016: 24.6% (14/57)
2017: 25.5% (14/55)
2018: 17% (9/53)

Female
2015: 35% (14/40)
2016: 14.3% (6/42)
2017: 28.2% (11/39)
2018: 17.9% (7/39)

Of course, small sample set, I'm unusually busier at work today so i can't add prior years but it seems quite a bit better this year save for 2016 females.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply