Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cost per hr of owning a Tri Bike?
Quote | Reply
I just sold off my entry level Cannondale Slice on Craig’s List while I await the arrival of my Premiere Tactical.

I got peanuts for the bike and I’m okay with it. The guy who bought was so pumped to have a carbon bike for training and racing.

I calculated the difference between what I bought and sold the bike for. Call it $1,200. I figure I rode it for about 9,000 miles. Say I rode on avg. at 18 mph. That puts me at $2.40 / hr.

Tires, tubes, chain, cassette and other consumables account for maybe another $3.00 / hr.

That puts me at call it $6.00 / hr for the Slice. Pretty good entertainment bang for my buck. I think the math would be even better on the road bike which I ride more and intend to own longer.

What do you think it costs you to ride?
Quote Reply
Re: Cost per hr of owning a Tri Bike? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to think of dollars per mile, not dollars per hour. It seemed easier to justify a new bike that way.

Hey honey, the investment is like $.20 a mile....
Quote Reply
Re: Cost per hr of owning a Tri Bike? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! I did the same thing, but it wasn’t relatable to other forms of entertainment.

But would definitely use $ / mile to negotiate a new purchase :)
Last edited by: SBRinSD: Dec 22, 18 11:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The math really gets scary when you have "race only" equipment like a disc, wetsuit (in many cases), aero lid, etc.

I log the supermajority of miles on my roadie, so my Shiv probably only gets a few hundred miles per year and the hourly cost is insane.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Cost per hr of owning a Tri Bike? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
The math really gets scary when you have "race only" equipment like a disc, wetsuit (in many cases), aero lid, etc.

I log the supermajority of miles on my roadie, so my Shiv probably only gets a few hundred miles per year and the hourly cost is insane.

Yeah i have two tt bikes, the race one doesn’t see the road but gets used on the trainer. Same with wheels, race wheels go on the day before a race for a test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had road bikes that get down to $1 per hour.
My tri bike might have dropped out of 3 figures per hour now. I hope so, that is depressing to think about.

Helps to buy quality stuff that doesn't require frequent replacement of consumables (campag chains) and then ride a lot. Changing things often and not riding much are terrible for this calc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:

I calculated the difference between what I bought and sold the bike for. Call it $1,200. I figure I rode it for about 9,000 miles. Say I rode on avg. at 18 mph. That puts me at $2.40 / hr.

Tires, tubes, chain, cassette and other consumables account for maybe another $3.00 / hr.

9,000 miles should be maybe 1-2 cassettes and 2-3 chains. If consumables cost more than the $1,200 bike after just 9,000 miles, that's awfully high.

I only ride my tri bike so it get's a lot of use, but the math is even worse if you look at marginal cost/benefit over something like your old $1,200 Slice!
Quote Reply
Re: Cost per hr of owning a Tri Bike? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I used to think of dollars per mile, not dollars per hour. It seemed easier to justify a new bike that way.

Hey honey, the investment is like $.20 a mile....

I am in the $$$ per mile grouping. Tri stuff ends up being way cheaper than car stuff since cumulative mileage in most years between bike+run+XC skiing is around 1.2-1.3x of what I drive. Having said that I have a cheap base model VW Jetta that will last longer than a bunch of my tri equipment. But when I throw in consumables (tires, mainetance, gas, insurance), sport gear is waaaay cheaper.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost per hr of owning a Tri Bike? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to feel a bit sick, don’t do $/hour for the bike.

Do the $/hr on an IM branded event versus a run race or criterium.

IM events are about $60/hr. Fondos, crits, cyclocross, 1/2 marathons? Usually about $15 to $20/hr.

People spend often in a year on just IM entry fees what some people spend on an entire nice bicycle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cost to ride for me is more one of time and energy since I've owned my equipment for quite a while and have no real plan to upgrade. If I had to do the math, figure I'm into my tri bike which I built up 10 years ago for about $2k including low-end race wheels. It suits me fine for as little as I race and train on it. Say I ride it maybe 500 mi/yr on average, at an average speed of 16 mph (I mostly do hilly riding). That puts me at about $6.50 per hour over the life of the bike. Road bike is probably lower than that since I put closer to 2500 miles/yr on it. At maybe $3k invested, about 5 years old, that's below $4/hr.

The ROI in terms of improved fitness, sense of accomplishment and satisfaction is high. I can't begin to compare it to any expense I incur for other forms of leisure or entertainment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

Yep - 2 tri bikes, one for racing, one for training. Airline "broke" the frame on the race bike that had less than 500 miles on it. Couldn't prove it as I didn't unpack it right away (not sure it would have mattered). Miles per dollar for that bike was bad. Miles per dollar on the training bike is a great return.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost per hr of owning a Tri Bike? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
If you want to feel a bit sick, don’t do $/hour for the bike.

Do the $/hr on an IM branded event versus a run race or criterium.

IM events are about $60/hr. Fondos, crits, cyclocross, 1/2 marathons? Usually about $15 to $20/hr.

People spend often in a year on just IM entry fees what some people spend on an entire nice bicycle.

I just spend $50 on a masters swim event where i did the 100 fly, 100 back, 100 breast, 100 free, 50 fly, 50 free and a 50 fly and 50 free in relays. If I added all the racing time up, it was barely 10 minutes....so it was like $300 per hour of actual race time...although I was on the pool deck and in the warmup lanes for 4 hours in total so the $50 did not seem that bad.

Honestly I don't really care how many $$$$ it costs to do sport. I'll go cheap on equipment, but it's like downhill ski lift fees. If you want to be a skier, you just pay whatever the rate is. You control the costs by choosing how many days you want to ski to get your fix! At the end of the day it's about getting that personal fix that allows you to live the way you want.

Now I do want to get a VW eGolf to replace my Jetta. Which economically does not make a ton of sense, but it will make me happy owning that and driving it.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve got $800 in my Cervelo P2 with Rolf wheels and around 2500 miles on it this year so I feel good about my investment.

I have a friend that is into drag racing. The amount of money he spends to shave tenths of a second off his quarter mile time will make any triathlete blush. Of course, he wouldn’t have it any other way like many of us.

Do what you enjoy. Life is too short to be bored.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a lot until I remember that half my family is diabetic and my grandfather had a triple bypass. I'm honestly probably saving money hand over fist.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

If I would care, I would just add everything up into one big number, and divide it by the total number of hours spend enjoying my hobby. That way, you can justify the expense of the Shiv.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost per hr of owning a Tri Bike? [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting perspective, since I ride my roadie so I can race my Shiv.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diamond DA40 $180 per hour. So yeah.... My Shiv is a bargain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly you have never owned a boat.

For the bike I just add up everything I spend in a year and it’s part of the cost of doing triathlons just like my gym membership or entry fees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
I just sold off my entry level Cannondale Slice on Craig’s List while I await the arrival of my Premiere Tactical.

I got peanuts for the bike and I’m okay with it. The guy who bought was so pumped to have a carbon bike for training and racing.

That puts me at call it $6.00 / hr for the Slice. Pretty good entertainment bang for my buck. I think the math would be even better on the road bike which I ride more and intend to own longer.

What do you think it costs you to ride?

Damn! That's dirt cheap. Ran some quick numbers on what I spent and due to upgrading and moving stuff I only have financial data back to 2013. So here are the numbers:

• Spent ~$37,000
  • Sold ~$6600
  • STRAVA Hours ~1500
  • Real Hours are probably closer to 2100 and possibly could be higher (I don't trust my STRAVA data).
  • So either $20/hr or $15/hr

Now, that includes all bike purchases and anything related to riding my bikes (e.g. shoes, kit, tires, etc). So, if you're getting out at $6/hr then you're doing pretty damn good.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Dec 24, 18 9:38
Quote Reply
Re: Cost per hr of owning a Tri Bike? [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is great data!

I keep telling myself I will track all the spend, but I keep reverting back to plausible deniability for when I get asked how much I spend in a given year. :)

I still think it’s all pretty cheap entertainment and a healthy addiction.

Running and swimming are waaaaaaay cheaper in comparison. Maybe I need to roll up all the numbers into one meaninglessly low figure that makes me feel better.

I hear everyone say life is short... cannot take to with you, etc...

I’m getting there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My race bike is cost per hour is going to be awful! Prefer not to think about it.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
I just sold off my entry level Cannondale Slice...I figure I rode it for about 9,000 miles.

9k is about 1 year worth of solid riding. Why sell after just 12 months?
Quote Reply
Re: Cost per hr of owning a Tri Bike? [Petrarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was challenged to get the reach I needed on it and couldn’t get narrow enough. Plus, I told myself I would reward myself if I hit a certain FTP threshold.

I could have rode it longer, but I had buy-in from spouse. So, I pulled the trigger.

When I sell a car and get a new one I do some quick math to tell me if I would have been better off leasing. I was curious what the math on the bike was....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 To get cost per hour I would have to add on the many hours of cleaning, adjusting brakes and derailleurs, changing parts and just piddling around which is something I really enjoy owning my bike. I still don’t want to know the number it might be as much as going out to dinner
Quote Reply