Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Corona Virus - IM Switzerland (Thun) thread
Quote | Reply
I am registered for IM Switzerland, which is scheduled for July 12. The venue is in Thun, which is just a short drive to Zurich (in the north) and the Swiss Alps (in the East).

Seeing all the news regarding the corona Virus outbreak in Lombardia (Northern Italy), which has spread to the Swiss Alps and Zurich, makes me concerned about this race. More importantly, we were hoping to drive from Zurich down to Milan and then to Rome during that entire two week vacation period. From Rome we fly back home to the US.

While I still have four months before the IM race, I am now looking at all my Options.

Unfortunately, there are seven of us (with families) who are registered for this race and traveling to this region.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Corona Virus - IM Switzerland (Thun) thread [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't give me that news! I have a Swiss/Italy cycling trip at the end of June

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, Ireland and Italy called off their MAR 7th Six Nations match...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Related-unrelated...

I'm doing Panama 70.3 in August and have some concerns with this as well. Not that it has hit central or South America yet but it's inevitable and countries like that aren't as resource rich to deal with it as your G8+China countries.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am registered for the France MaxiRace ultra trail race at the end of May in Annecy. My wife and I are now looking at other options for a vacation in the U.S. during that time period.

Obviously it's too early to make a final decision, but I'm already considering the scenario where there are still new cases of coronavirus in Europe in late May, but we are allowed to travel to Geneva from the U.S. then return to the U.S. a week later. Then the question becomes do I, a healthy 61 year old, do the 50 mile ultra run with 17K feet of elevation gain and risk being immune compromised in the days after the race? My wife certainly doesn't want me to quarantine myself in our hotel room for three or four days after the race. My immune system should be working very well on the trip to France after a long taper.

I'm also wondering whether the race insurance I purchased will cover my entry fee if the race still happens but I'm either too worried or not allowed to travel to Geneva from the U.S. I haven't looked at the insurance details yet.

I probably have another 4 to 6 weeks to obsess about this as we haven't purchased airline tickets yet.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Feb 26, 20 10:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
World panic is accelerating at the same time the number of active cases is decreasing. We aren't out of the woods yet, but active cases peaked mid Feb and have dropped about 10,000 to today with 48,165 active (i.e., those who are still sick as opposed to recovered or dead).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
after the Tokyo Marathon was cancelled for non-elites, i believe it is safe to say that every race, everywhere is facing uncertainty at the moment

*Edited to include which Tokyo event was cancelled*
Last edited by: jazzymusicman: Feb 26, 20 12:34
Quote Reply
Re: Corona Virus - IM Switzerland (Thun) thread [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
World panic is accelerating at the same time the number of active cases is decreasing. We aren't out of the woods yet, but active cases peaked mid Feb and have dropped about 10,000 to today with 48,165 active (i.e., those who are still sick as opposed to recovered or dead).

I do hope you are correct but the numbers say otherwise. Last week there were only three known infections in Italy (including two chinese tourists), and now there are more that 320 infections Therre were only six casualties in Italy two days ago, now there are 12. And cases have been confirmed in Zurich, the Swiss Alps, Austria, German, etc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm signed up for IM Vitoria in Spain in July. I'm banking on them getting this thing under control before then.
Quote Reply
Re: Corona Virus - IM Switzerland (Thun) thread [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
Don't give me that news! I have a Swiss/Italy cycling trip at the end of June

Might want to look at all your options as I am looking at mine. Just Sayin.

Quote Reply
Re: Corona Virus - IM Switzerland (Thun) thread [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
after Tokyo was cancelled, i believe it is safe to say that every race, everywhere is facing uncertainty at the moment

Which Tokyo event are you referring to? The olympics? That has not been cancelled, just rumors at this stage.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think your major risk is more around countries restricting travel or IM simply cancels the event. The risks of the Coronavirus itself may be over-hyped in the current presentation by mainstream media.

For example, when you look outside of China, the death rate is low compared to SARS and MERS. The Coronavirus death rate is currently higher than seasonal flu (outside of China), but my hunch is that it will trend toward flu as science understands it over the next few months. Just for reference, Coronavirus has about 80K cases so far, compared to ~35M flu cases in a year. And, flu kills around ~25K where Coronavirus has killed 2,400 so far.

Coronavirus R0 is on par with SARS, H1N1, and flu. But I would not be surprised if that falls rapidly as science gains better understanding.

Quote Reply
Re: Corona Virus - IM Switzerland (Thun) thread [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But the race is in Jun/Jul

I was hopping this Corona thing would be behind us by then!
Last edited by: FaKaspar: Feb 26, 20 11:28
Quote Reply
Re: Corona Virus - IM Switzerland (Thun) thread [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I think your major risk is more around countries restricting travel or IM simply cancels the event.

Indeed, or the following:

- IM cancels in the last minute, a few days before we arrive;
- Air France cancels my flight to Zurich;
- Air France cancels my return flight from Rome;
- We cannot go back into the US;
- Our hotels and Air bnbs in Switzerland and Italy are closed;
- We cannot rent a car;
- ... and so many other possible complications.

Whatever, the case may be there are SEVEN of us registered and traveling with our families to this event.
And we all need to make a plan "C" (pun intended).

If IM were to cancel it, I just hope they do it sooner than later.

Last edited by: paxfobiscum: Feb 26, 20 11:40
Quote Reply
Re: Corona Virus - IM Switzerland (Thun) thread [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the poster was referring to the Tokyo Marathon. IIRC only the elites are running, maybe a couple of hundred runners?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's like planning a vacation in the Caribbean sea during hurricane season. Something may happen. Or something may not. Business and governments do not want to cancel things, so they will likely hold off as long as possible before making those kinds of decisions. You will probably not know anything conclusive until July.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is some hope that the CV infections will act like the flu does once weather warms up, ie basically disappear till next winter. Hope that is the case, but we will see!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
jazzymusicman wrote:
after Tokyo was cancelled, i believe it is safe to say that every race, everywhere is facing uncertainty at the moment

Which Tokyo event are you referring to? The olympics? That has not been cancelled, just rumors at this stage.

I edited the post so that it's clear I meant the marathon
Quote Reply
Re: Corona Virus - IM Switzerland (Thun) thread [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have a greater chance of catching the virus in the USA, than France. Go do the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
jazzymusicman wrote:

Not even a good rumor; the IOC confirmed today that the Olympics are proceeding as planned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

exxxviii wrote:
I think your major risk is more around countries restricting travel or IM simply cancels the event. The risks of the Coronavirus itself may be over-hyped in the current presentation by mainstream media.

Your major concern is the event getting cancelled. Not actually getting sick.

You are fit and healthy and not over 70.

Even if you got it, you've just get the flu and not die.

It's so over hyped by the media.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
paxfobiscum wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

I do hope you are correct but the numbers say otherwise. Last week there were only three known infections in Italy (including two Chinese tourists), and now there are more that 320 infections There were only six casualties in Italy two days ago, now there are 12. And cases have been confirmed in Zurich, the Swiss Alps, Austria, German, etc.

You are looking at only one part of the total picture. Here are the facts:

1) New cases continue to appear (i.e., part of the figures you cited above), BUT;
2) While the total number of diagnosed cases is still increasing the rate of increase is slowing!! (This is key!!). AND:
3) The number of resolved cases daily is now exceeding the number of new cases which leads to:
4) The total number of active cases is declining.

I'm personally watching #4 closely while the news media is covering only #1 which freaks everyone out. Meanwhile, 100 American kids have already died from the flu this season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Meanwhile, 100 American kids have already died from the flu this season.

And surprisingly none have died from Corona yet.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://covid19info.live/
Can see some trends and information here.
Quote Reply
Re: Corona Virus - IM Switzerland (Thun) thread [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with PJC. The flu is much worse and kills 10,000 - 30,000 every year in the USA alone. But most people don't bother to get a flu shot. No one cares about the flu. CV doesn't is also mild on on children. In the next few months CV may be everywhere but we wouldn't even notice if wasn't for the news going nuts about it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next