Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cooling while keeping feet dry
Quote | Reply
Hi, so question for everyone, how do you cool off while running an ironman and still keep your feet relatively dry? I am doing my first full distance race at IM CdA. I did my first half earlier this summer and found that I was starting to get blisters where my big toes connect with the base of my foot. They weren't too painful for the half but having to double the distance I am sure they would get much worse. I have not had any similar issues in training runs and the main difference between the two is that during the race I was dumping water over my head to cool down. With that my socks were soaked by the end of the race, so I assume that is what was leading to the start of the blisters. Any suggestions on how to cool off without getting my feet wet or is it that I just need to suck it up and power through the blister issues?
Quote Reply
Re: Cooling while keeping feet dry [Trinorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have similar issues. Haven't found a great solution. I do put a heavy dose of 2Tom BlisterShield powder in my socks, which seems to help keep my feet in better shape longer. I also drill holes in all my racing shoes to help with water drainage, so my feet aren't just soaking in water. Thinner socks also help me since they don't hold much water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trinorth wrote:
Hi, so question for everyone, how do you cool off while running an ironman and still keep your feet relatively dry? I am doing my first full distance race at IM CdA. I did my first half earlier this summer and found that I was starting to get blisters where my big toes connect with the base of my foot. They weren't too painful for the half but having to double the distance I am sure they would get much worse. I have not had any similar issues in training runs and the main difference between the two is that during the race I was dumping water over my head to cool down. With that my socks were soaked by the end of the race, so I assume that is what was leading to the start of the blisters. Any suggestions on how to cool off without getting my feet wet or is it that I just need to suck it up and power through the blister issues?

When it's hot, I put ice in my hat at all aid stations (and also in my top if it's really hot) instead of pouring water on me, and my feet typically stay dry unless it rains or I run through puddles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Careful application of water when cooling off is key. If you just pour it all over, your socks are going to get soaked. Leaning over and pouring it on your head, neck and arms will keep your feet dry. Also, a new socks in your T2 and special needs bags is a popular solution. New/dry socks feel so good, it is a good motivator.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moisture wicking socks also help, since your feet may get wet, but will dry quicker. I used some darn tough socks last year in my 70.3 and did not blister, because they wicked the moisture away pretty well.
Quote Reply