Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cool Tour de France Aero Insights
Quote | Reply
Who's buying Silca valve stem pieces for their wheels???

https://cyclingtips.com/...xpert-josh-poertner/

Quote Reply
Re: Cool Tour de France Aero Insights [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you check out the video at 7:34, you can clearly see a Conti labeled TT tire with the gp4k markings.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't buy them intentionally, but they just come with the Silca valve extenders I get, so I have a few sets and use them.
Quote Reply
Re: Cool Tour de France Aero Insights [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
If you check out the video at 7:34, you can clearly see a Conti labeled TT tire with the gp4k markings.

Good catch. I thought the gp4k markings claimed to aid in preventing air separation at certain yaw? So, would make sense to also be on a TT tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's race legal, but you can put a piece of electrical tape on your valve stems to create a "tail" for improved aerodynamics. John Cobb suggested doing that method on exposed cables, too. I tried it once on my old TMO1 that had a lot of exposed cables and I believe it worked somewhat.

I've always wondered what that would look like on spokes. And I'm guessing they would bend and yield under high yaw conditions too, since tape is soft and flexible. Somebody should test that at a wind tunnel just to see.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Aug 2, 18 7:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great little video at the top of the article. Will be looking into the valve stem things for Kona...

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neat video. The cockpit on Team Sky’s bike are really drool-worthy...and cost as much as a P5x by themselves!

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Cool Tour de France Aero Insights [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what a $42M Euro team budget buys you...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:

It also pays the salaries for about 5 guys who are each capable of a top 10 at the Tour. Those guys were pretty amazing this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Cool Tour de France Aero Insights [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought they weren’t allowed to do that anymore unless it was made for the public also? Did that rule change?
Quote Reply
Re: Cool Tour de France Aero Insights [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
I thought they weren’t allowed to do that anymore unless it was made for the public also? Did that rule change?

It is public, in that anyone with a model of their arms can 3d print a handlebar. But with all things UCI, logic need not apply.
Quote Reply
Re: Cool Tour de France Aero Insights [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess that’s true I can print a mold for a new bike no need buy a frame again! Haha
Quote Reply
Re: Cool Tour de France Aero Insights [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

It also pays the salaries for about 5 guys who are each capable of a top 10 at the Tour. Those guys were pretty amazing this year.
It's the same every year and ruining the excitement of the tour. Sky have so many riders to ride such a high pace no one can attack. I saw a Nabali interview and his team runs on 15M Euro budget like most teams hence maybe one support rider in the high mountains, Sky 6 out of the last 7 victories and Nibali only won when Froome crashed out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'm very impressed by Team Sky's performances, but it does make things boring. You'll see a great attack by Landa or whomever, and then Sky just watches the power meters and reels them in. We didn't even get anything fun from Sky like a Froome-Sagan breakaway or Froome attacking on the top tube this year.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Cool Tour de France Aero Insights [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a shame Porte and Nibali crashed out as that last mountain stage in particular might have been more exciting if not a few more stages but it still would have panned out the same.
Quote Reply