Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cookie cutter IM program
Quote | Reply
Fir various reasons I don't want a coach for my IM race in December. I just want a program I can follow myself. I don't mind paying for it. I've been shopping around, had a look at a few sample programs on TrainingPeaks and other sites and none of them seem quite "right". A lot of them on TP seem a bit whacko, odd, overly complicated sessions, especially some of the swim sets and really, really low on the run volume. I'm after a 15 - 20 hour/week program with a high emphasis on running, 50 miles/week, maybe more. That's what I've been doing for the last year for 70.3, a little less (45 miles), so am used to the run volume. I would prefer simplicity, but also variety. Has anyone got any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: Cookie cutter IM program [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trainerroad have a boilerplate IM plan. Haven't used it but maybe worth a look, the cycling component of their plans is definitely good.

Though if you've already got experience training for 70.3, why not just tweak that plan with a bit more volume and a bit less intensity?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree on Trainer Road. I used their low volume full distance plan for my first IM with great results!
Quote Reply
Re: Cookie cutter IM program [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Trainerroad have a boilerplate IM plan. Haven't used it but maybe worth a look, the cycling component of their plans is definitely good.

Though if you've already got experience training for 70.3, why not just tweak that plan with a bit more volume and a bit less intensity?

I've been going OK results wise, but just self-coaching and by that I mean doing what I feel like. If it's wet I'll run, if it's hot I'll swim etc so my s/b/r averages are all over the place, lots of running and swimming, not much biking. So I think I need a program to follow, but am motivated so probably don't need the coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll second trainerroad. I tweaked theirs around a bit for my ironman. The book Ironfit by Don Fink also has a good cookie cutter plan as well.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Cookie cutter IM program [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:

+1 to Trainerroad
Just shifted the long run to midweek, and added small transition runs for frequency.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Fir various reasons I don't want a coach for my IM race in December. I just want a program I can follow myself. I don't mind paying for it. I've been shopping around, had a look at a few sample programs on TrainingPeaks and other sites and none of them seem quite "right". A lot of them on TP seem a bit whacko, odd, overly complicated sessions, especially some of the swim sets and really, really low on the run volume. I'm after a 15 - 20 hour/week program with a high emphasis on running, 50 miles/week, maybe more. That's what I've been doing for the last year for 70.3, a little less (45 miles), so am used to the run volume. I would prefer simplicity, but also variety. Has anyone got any recommendations?

how long does it take you to run 50 miles in a week? do you run for the same amount of time as you ride or something? or hardly every swim?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:

I would recommend Matt Dixons new book Fast Track Triathlete. In the back it has a 14 week build for Ironman with every workout having scalable options based on your fatigue levels, time you have, etc. Its a great "cookie cutter" program that you can modify on your own with the foundation he has set. Plus it comes with plenty of content about how to train, recover, what to watch for, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Cookie cutter IM program [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
zedzded wrote:

how long does it take you to run 50 miles in a week? do you run for the same amount of time as you ride or something? or hardly every swim?

No I hardly ever rode. I was running 50 miles a week and riding 60! Which obviously needs to change, hence the reason I want a program.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:

For my last Ironman I used Matt Fitzgerald's training plan, it was very easy to follow. At first the swim workouts seem odd, but there is a pattern of consistency to them. PR by over an hour.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Part of me understands this mentality of not wanting to be coached per se, but for me, coaching gives me accountability, consistency and someone to modify things when it is not going to plan (amongst other things).
I could not anticipate personally doing an IM without a coach to guide the process, even if part of a larger coached program rather than an individual program, I just don't think I have the self-discipline to do it all myself and follow a generic training plan and especially given the investment in time and money to do the event, the coaching is a small price to pay.
That being said, the Matt Dixon book is great, as is the Ironfit book as well (both cheap on amazon kindle). Would recommend them for a great read anyway!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:

I think the plans aren't quite 'right' because you aren't going to find a plan that says an athlete should run 50 miles a week ;-). On 15 hours a week, with 1/2 or more of that being cycling, that leaves you with 7.5 hours to swim at least 3x (2-3 hours), strength train (1-2 hours) and then run. If running is your strength, look to bike more and cut the run miles back to 30 miles a week with a few 35-40 mile weeks. Its more about consistency vs volume week after week. I know you know what works for you but not sure you'll find that breakout you are looking for even in the best pre-built plans. Good luck with your training and racing!

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply