Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Converting a Venge to a TT bike
Quote | Reply
I know this might sound like a bit of a hair-brained scheme on the surface of it, but hear me out.

I'm in the market for a new TT-bike and would very much like to go for disc-brakes purely for logistical reasons; I have a disc-brake Specialized Tarmac with sets of Roval CL40 and and CL64 disc-brake wheels, which I'm keen on using on the TT-bike rather than accumulating more (potentially rapidly-depreciating) of the rim-brake variety. I appreciate that I'll be sacrificing a bit of speed in terms of both weight and aero with this choice, but I'm not aiming for Kona, just the challenge against myself and my teammates in club TTs and tris; due to UK TTing regulations it has to be a UCI-legal setup.

As for my purchasing options, unfortunately the new Shiv TT is way out of my budget, so keeping with the Specialized angle I was looking at picking up a disc-brake Venge, either second-hand, ex-demo or in the end-of-season sales, in one frame-size smaller than I'd ride it in a road setup and converting it to a TT setup. I ride a "Small" (52) Tarmac, which fits perfectly and have tried out a "Small" Shiv TT (Stack-Reach of 495-390 mm), which seems to fit great; the "Extra Small" (49) Venge measurements Stack-Reach measurements are 505-386 mm so a little bit out but not a million miles and many of the other frame geometry measurements seem similar too.

Is it a stupid idea to pursue this? Has anyone tried converting a Venge to a dedicated TT bike? I'd be very happy to do the required mechanicing myself, so it'd just be a case of sourcing the parts.

My alternative option is to buy a second-hand rim-brake Shiv TT and start another wheel collection, which would arguably be simpler and possibly cheaper, but perhaps not the best long-term.

Any advice much appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Converting a Venge to a TT bike [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem I would worry about is cockpit adjustability. Are you thinking of using clip-on bars? Most of the new aero road bikes have sort of funky proprietary clip-ons that won't work well for a really aero position.

I sort of like the Shiv TT idea. I sold one on EBay last year and only got 650$. Beg, borrow or steal some wheels and for 1000$ you have a really fast TT bike that fits well. Then save your money for your future disc bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great topic, I just bought the new Venge 2020 and I want to convert it in a TT bike. I choose zero offset seatpost but now I need a saddle that can take me forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the new Venge 2019 size 52 with this purpose to convert it as tri bike with the clip-on bars.
I would said it worked mostly at some point but once I tried to do improvements to the position I got locked completely. The clip-on won't let you move change the stack back or front or tilt the bars, you just have little movement as long your stem allows. I have 110 stem and I could move maybe 1-2cm front and back. The reach will be also limited to the number of spacers you can put on and off. Even with no spacers on the stem I still cannot go down to the optimized position I want and it's 3cm higher. I did some calculation and I could probably make the position I want with a 49 size frame plus a 17degree slammed stem (not the original venge stem).

My advise if you want the Venge as road bike and your TT position is Recreational to Mid-pack AG the Venge w/clip-ons will your perfect.But if you want your best aero position there's no chance it will work. This is why I had no other option to put an order on the new Shiv :) haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not a disc brake TT bike from another brand? Cervelo and Quintana Roo* both have offerings in the $3k range that would seem more suited to the purpose, and almost certainly cheaper than converted late-model Venge. I get being brand-loyal, but when "your brand' doesn't offer what you want, it's better to stray than to try to shove one of their square pegs into a round hole.

Not sure if the QR PRFour is UCI legal, but the new Cervelo P-Series 105 surely is.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Oct 8, 19 7:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, a TT bike is primarily about its ability to get your body into its most aerodynamic position. The body, much more than the bike frame, is the key aerodynamic component. Given that, the Venge, even with an aero bar, is not really the best tool for the task. It actually prevents you from being able to get your best position -- because it's not designed for that. Better a TT/triathlon bike that is designed, from the ground up, for that purpose.

I wouldn't worry about staying with Specialized. I wouldn't even worry too much about aero wheels. A well-designed TT bike that allows you to optimize your body position will be the least expensive speed you can buy.

(Given the choice of doing a TT on a Venge with aero bars / wheels or doing the same TT on a well-fitted TT bike with box section wheels? I'll take the TT bike every. single. time.)
Quote Reply
Re: Converting a Venge to a TT bike [guillermoD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
with a Venge is possible to install a TT handlebar with normal extension or you can install a new road bike handlebar like Vision Metron 4D or Enve Ses
Quote Reply
Re: Converting a Venge to a TT bike [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies!

I definitely appreciate the sentiments about achieving a good fit and this is my primary concern.

I was hoping to install a dedicated TT cockpit on there (such as the Shiv base bar/risers system) rather than just using clip-ons on the existing road bar; I know some of the various models of Venge have weird proprietary steerer/stem/bar combos but hopefully someone can advise on the viability of this plan as well!
Quote Reply
Re: Converting a Venge to a TT bike [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
In my opinion, a TT bike is primarily about its ability to get your body into its most aerodynamic position. The body, much more than the bike frame, is the key aerodynamic component. Given that, the Venge, even with an aero bar, is not really the best tool for the task. It actually prevents you from being able to get your best position -- because it's not designed for that. Better a TT/triathlon bike that is designed, from the ground up, for that purpose.

I wouldn't worry about staying with Specialized. I wouldn't even worry too much about aero wheels. A well-designed TT bike that allows you to optimize your body position will be the least expensive speed you can buy.

(Given the choice of doing a TT on a Venge with aero bars / wheels or doing the same TT on a well-fitted TT bike with box section wheels? I'll take the TT bike every. single. time.)

With a zero offset seatpost and a TT handlebar the new Venge could have the same geometry of a TT bike. In a few days I will receive my new Venge and I will post some pics
Quote Reply
Re: Converting a Venge to a TT bike [enricobraglia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you looked into stem-basebar options that will fit the new Venge? Which model did you go for, if you don't mind me asking, because some of the lower tier ones seem to have a standard steerer-stem combo, but the higher tier ones seem have a proprietary aero stem.

Even so, I seem to recall that the bar-clamp on that proprietary Venge stem is a standard 31.8 mm mount, is that right? If so you should have quite a few options with regards to mounting a different basebar. You just might need to change the stem length to start with to get the correct position.
Last edited by: awenborn: Oct 8, 19 8:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
Have you looked into stem-basebar options that will fit the new Venge? Which model did you go for, if you don't mind me asking, because some of the lower tier ones seem to have a standard steerer-stem combo, but the higher tier ones seem have a proprietary aero stem.

Even so, I seem to recall that the bar-clamp on that proprietary Venge stem is a standard 31.8 mm mount, is that right? If so you should have quite a few options with regards to mounting a different basebar. You just might need to change the stem length to start with to get the correct position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMHO, this is the key issue when converting road bike to TT... the get you forward enough to compensate the seattube angle, and also get the front end low enough.

There are many aerobar systems out there that could be mounted on standard stem, but as I said, if the headtune is too tall, then you will have use some huge negative angle stem.
Last edited by: dalava: Oct 8, 19 9:25
Quote Reply
Re: Converting a Venge to a TT bike [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
IMHO, this is the key issue when converting road bike to TT... the get you forward enough to compensate the seattube angle, and also get the front end low enough.

There are many aerobar systems out there that could be mounted on standard stem, but as I said, if the headtune is too tall, then you will have use some huge negative angle stem.

yes this is right, I agree. The new Venge have a lower front end respect my previuos BMC TM01 TT bike (with aerocockpit handlebar)
Quote Reply
Re: Converting a Venge to a TT bike [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As Enrico says, this is a concern but would surely be obvious by looking at the stack and reach geometries.

The Venge looks as though it could come very close to a TT geo by addressing some points; it's not as though you're starting with an endurance road geometry like a Roubaix or Synapse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.specialized.com/...on-seatpost/p/160180

This could be a solution to convert a Venge in a TT bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you can install a TT handlebar, but it won't solve the stack issue if you want to go lower, you are limited by the frame.
It may solve the reach issue though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a similar setup, zero offset seatpost, 12 degree stem, aero bar, zero spacers on the stem. Still end up 3 cm higher than my TT position with a 52 frame.

By the picture you don't need a very agressive position so the TT handlebar will work perfect in this case.
Quote Reply
Re: Converting a Venge to a TT bike [guillermoD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guillermoD wrote:

By the picture you don't need a very agressive position so the TT handlebar will work perfect in this case.

This is my ex TT bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's sadly not in your size, but I'm selling my Venge "TT" I used in Nice. It is possible to have a decent setup at a reasonable price I think. I got a very nice aggressive possision in the aerobars using the lowest stack avalible and cutting the fork. Since I have the handlebars with a raise, the normal sitting position is not that low. Can really recommend that solution. The only draw back is that it's not really much you can do in terms of changing the setup. If it fits it's super fast, but if it doesn't it's not really anything you can do about it. I think Herbert was supposed to post some pictures of my setup if you are interested to see how I choose to ride.

Gustav Iden

Norwegian National Team Athlete
Quote Reply
Re: Converting a Venge to a TT bike [Guiden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guiden wrote:
It's sadly not in your size, but I'm selling my Venge "TT" I used in Nice. It is possible to have a decent setup at a reasonable price I think. I got a very nice aggressive possision in the aerobars using the lowest stack avalible and cutting the fork. Since I have the handlebars with a raise, the normal sitting position is not that low. Can really recommend that solution. The only draw back is that it's not really much you can do in terms of changing the setup. If it fits it's super fast, but if it doesn't it's not really anything you can do about it. I think Herbert was supposed to post some pictures of my setup if you are interested to see how I choose to ride.

Gustav Iden

Hi Gustav, could you post your Venge photos? Which size? Maybe a friend of mine could be interested
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are some pictures (hope the link work):

https://www.flickr.com/gp/181724032@N07/1C193k

The bike is size 54, but not able to adjust the height of the stem because the fork is cut.

Norwegian National Team Athlete
Quote Reply
Re: Converting a Venge to a TT bike [Guiden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Gustav, you crushed that course!! You have a new super fan here from Ecuador. Yeahhh congrats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here is my venge VIAS setup for 70.3's a few years back.
it uses the proprietary stem and long course extensions with the h-bar flipped and cut such as to get a base bar (very ergo BTW)
notice the sprint shifters on the extension.

Last edited by: mammamia: Oct 9, 19 13:06
Quote Reply
Re: Converting a Venge to a TT bike [mammamia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my Venge ready for Ironman Argentina
Last edited by: enricobraglia: Nov 16, 19 8:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I can't see your picture, how is the Venge working out in a TT setup?

I still don't see why this wouldn't be a great option if you're willing to ditch the standard Venge handlebars and install a TT basebar and extensions e.g. from the Shiv, so you have lots of flexibility in position in terms of pad location and risers etc.

Best of luck for the ironman!
Quote Reply

Prev Next