Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Converted my 2011 Cervelo S2 to Di2 - nervy but stoked
Quote | Reply
I got my 2011 S2 new and had the red stripe custom painted blue - it cost too much and took too long but I love it. I've been riding it with a 10spd mechanical DuraAce group for years and it's been adequate.

However....I had this Ui2 groupset laying about and I've been looking for a rim-brake, electronic ready frame set to build up for a new road ride. I didn't want to give up my custom painted S2 and so took a wee bit of a risk and converted the S2 to handle the electronic build.

The scariest bits were these two...
  • The 2011 S2 has two ports on top of the top tube just behind the head tube and the front and rear D cables run down into the frame there. Those holes are wider at the surface but only stay that big for ~3mm of depth to receive housing and a ferrule and sort of act as a boss. But then they narrow up a lot so that just the cable can run through. I choose to drill out the hole closest to the head tube. I had to get it wide enough to accept the head (end?, plug?) of the e-tube. I was surprised by how far and hard I had to drill to open that hole - it's a carbon bike, I thought it would be butter.
  • The other was to widen the hole under the bottom bracket. The existing hole is a bit smaller than a dime and you have to be able fit the Junction B box in there so I used a dremmel to widen it just a tiny bit.
I rode it today for the first time and it's like a new bike. I'm so thrilled. I've had this thing 7 years and I want to try and get another 5 out of it! It's 11spd now and the pick-ups on the big ring (plus the Ui2 shift ability) makes is dreamy.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Converted my 2011 Cervelo S2 to Di2 - nervy but stoked [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! Nothing like the feeling of finishing a DIY job.
Quote Reply
Re: Converted my 2011 Cervelo S2 to Di2 - nervy but stoked [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pics or it didn't happen...
Quote Reply