Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Continental tube - removable presta valve, Why?!
Quote | Reply
I'm relatively new to cycling and am continually surprised at bike components that are engineered with multiple unnecessary failure points.

The Continental tube has a removable presta valve that is threaded in the same direction as the fill nut just above. If one is not careful, twisting the fill nut can loosen the entire valve and cause a slow leak at the valve. (Verified on a 50mi ride!)

Less expensive tubes that seem to be as robust as the Continental have an integrated presta valve that cannot be unscrewed.

I'm puzzled. What is the purpose of a removable valve on a disposable piece of equipment? Am I supposed to perform maintenance on the Continental presta valve?

Trader
Quote Reply
Re: Continental tube - removable presta valve, Why?! [trader728] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are two kinds of valve extenders for aero wheels. The simple ones are a tube you put on over the existing valve. You have to make sure the locking nut is unscrewed or you can't get air into the tube and you can't get a pressure reading from a seperate gauge. There are other extenders that, once you remove the core from your tube, you put it in the end of the extender. This allows you to open/close the valve and to use a gauge. Either will work well if installed/used correctly. The removable core tubes/extenders have some advatanges, but do have more parts/joints/points of failure. Take a pair of needle nose pliers, or a valve core tool, and make sure the core is firmly seated in the valve, and you shouldn't have any problems.
Quote Reply