Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Continental 5000 GP tubeless ready
Quote | Reply
Interesting Instagram post by James Huang that, apparently, got taken down, about the new 5000 gp tire coming - finally a TLR option from Conti?

I was interested in what Sebi had on his bike at Kona - it had something along the lines of aloha or something custom...maybe this was the new tire. Would be interesting to see what happens here...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Continental 5000 GP tubeless ready [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
Interesting Instagram post by James Huang that, apparently, got taken down, about the new 5000 gp tire coming - finally a TLR option from Conti?

I was interested in what Sebi had on his bike at Kona - it had something along the lines of aloha or something custom...maybe this was the new tire. Would be interesting to see what happens here...

Fwiw, Sebi is usually rolling something custom tire wise for the past few years but regardless it will be interesting to see about the tire and how it rolls.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://cyclingtips.com/...prix-5000-road-tire/

More info.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Last edited by: mknight84: Nov 7, 18 7:50
Quote Reply
Re: Continental 5000 GP tubeless ready [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't found anything up close on his bike this year - looks like the Grandprix TT on the back...I know he's had the 111 and 33 tires in the past. Just interesting to see what comes of this...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just about to spring for some new rubber. Now I have to see how these roll and how aero they are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They had me at "32c"

Sounds like 2 versions (traditional tubed clincher and tubeless), with the tubed version being the faster one. Tubeless uses a 60tpi casing vs 110 on the tubed clincher.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Nov 7, 18 8:31
Quote Reply
Re: Continental 5000 GP tubeless ready [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Color me interested. I'm definitely going to pick up a pair of the 32c tires for my Culprit RAD. Edit: and I'll likely pick up a pair of the 23 clinchers as well.

Quote:
In addition to using the latest formulation, the Grand Prix 5000’s shoulder tread now gets a subtle laser-etched texture that the company says provides superb cornering grip straight out of the box — basically the equivalent of pre-scuffing a new tire. And as a bonus, that texturing supposedly also helps oncoming air flow more smoothly around the tire casing for reduced aerodynamic drag.

Quote:
It’s supposedly faster with 12% less rolling resistance; more durable with a 20% boost in puncture protection;

....nice

Quote:
and a new elastomeric casing element (dubbed Active Comfort Technology) that somehow damps road vibration without introducing any speed-robbing hysteresis effects.

This has me skeptical. Very skeptical. I hope my skepticism amounts to nothing.

Quote:
As compared to the Grand Prix 4000 S II, Continental says the Grand Prix 5000 TL rolls 5% faster, despite using a coarser 180tpi casing relative to the tube-type Grand Prix 5000 as well as an additional innermost layer that improves air retention.

I smell butyl :(

Quote:
A couple of features should make the Grand Prix 5000 TL easier to set up, too. The bead is covered with a layer of extra-soft rubber, and there’s also a finned extension that helps to create a more reliable initial seal regardless of rim profile.

Sounds promising!
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Nov 7, 18 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: Continental 5000 GP tubeless ready [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks interesting, yes

Tube clincher : 12% less rolling resistance than GP4000S2 (I suppose measured with same tube type) mean approx. equivalent to GP Force (for 25mm) or Michelin Power Comp, possibly with better puncture resistance ?

Tubeless : 5% less, but compared to which type of tube type ?

Is it standard to have Tubeless with Rolling Resistance less performing than tube+clincher ?
Quote Reply
Re: Continental 5000 GP tubeless ready [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Is it standard to have Tubeless with Rolling Resistance less performing than tube+clincher ?

Only if they have butyl, as GreenPlease speculated above.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick research and math tells me this is on par with the GP 4000 RS from this year. BRR had it at 10.5w for the 25mm. Continental claims 12% better crr than the 4000 Sll. That would put it at 10.76w. So that matches. Also the manufacturer claimed weight is 215g witch also corresponds with BRR’s 212g for the 4000RS. Only differences may be tread pattern and aesthetics.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental 5000 GP tubeless ready [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Looks interesting, yes

Tube clincher : 12% less rolling resistance than GP4000S2 (I suppose measured with same tube type) mean approx. equivalent to GP Force (for 25mm) or Michelin Power Comp, possibly with better puncture resistance ?

Tubeless : 5% less, but compared to which type of tube type ?

I think it's 5% less than a GP 4000 SII with a butyl tube. That's my best guess. With that said, the thickness of the tread on a GP 5000 combined with tubeless sealant could make the tire extremely flat resistant. The crr hit might be worth it for someone racing short course. For long course you'll still probably want to stick to normal clinchers and latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
For long course you'll still probably want to stick to normal clinchers and latex tubes.

Or a fast TLR tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental 5000 GP tubeless ready [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
For long course you'll still probably want to stick to normal clinchers and latex tubes.

Or a fast TLR tire.

I can't recommend the CS with a good conscious. I didn't have a good experience (on very good roads) and I saw a bunch go down over the weekend at IMFL on very good roads (I was a SAG driver and stopped to help people change flats when I saw them). For long course if you're chasing crr you're probably better off with a SS and a latex tube. Pretty much the same CRR as the CS and if you get a flat it's not such a struggle fest to pop a tube in.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental 5000 GP tubeless ready [skinnyguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skinnyguy wrote:
Quick research and math tells me this is on par with the GP 4000 RS from this year. BRR had it at 10.5w for the 25mm. Continental claims 12% better crr than the 4000 Sll. That would put it at 10.76w. So that matches. Also the manufacturer claimed weight is 215g witch also corresponds with BRR’s 212g for the 4000RS. Only differences may be tread pattern and aesthetics.

the puncture resistance will be better on the 5k than the 4k RS which is notably thinner than the standard 4k

i assume they will have kept the accidentally aero shape
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

I can't recommend the CS with a good conscious. I didn't have a good experience (on very good roads)

I saw that post.. It it suspicious, but is still only anecdotal evidence.

My anecdote is that my CS have never flatted in a race (dozens per year as a roadie), often on very poor roads. I punctured once in a TT, and it sealed.

The one race I used tubes in order to use sponsor wheels, I pinch-flatted after making the final selection of 5 in a road race. (Supersonics).

Also never flatted with the tubular version in outdoor track racing.

So I'm sticking with them for now.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental 5000 GP tubeless ready [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
🤷🏼‍♂️ maybe there's differences between batches. Certain sealants perform better than others?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
🤷🏼‍♂️ maybe there's differences between batches. Certain sealants perform better than others?

I don't know. I just use Stan's, usually. There's no question the CS is fragile. I wouldn't use it as a training tire. (which is where the tire of the OP may excel). But, so far, I don't hesitate to use it in racing.

It could also be that some of the people you saw screwed up the installation process, e.g. rim tape or valve stem. Or maintenance processes (letting sealant dry out).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

I'm curious about that too. I was one of the first to post here (August 2016) about racing the production Corsa speeds and having a miserable time with them. I had a flat on something I couldn't see 45 miles into a 70.3 ride and barely managed to get a tube in there. The very next ride, a piece of chip seal went dead center through the tread and it wouldn't hold a seal above ~65 psi. Two flats within 60 miles. Held up fine for another 70.3 race on some rough roads and then a pinch flat (double punctures in the casing) somewhere in the 85-90 psi range the next ride after that. I had no had a single flat in at least 4-5 years and then had 3 on those tires in <120 miles. They were all cleaned and patched from the inside and sat on a shelf until June when I realized I had a race in a week and new-to-me wheels without tires.

I bought a HED disc H3 combo this year and could get those CS tires on without a tire lever. I almost cried when I slipped them on with just my thumbs. It took lube, a bead jack and prayer to get them on and off Swiss Side Hadrons. I could get them off the HEDs with a single lever and re-thought about using them since it was no longer a lever snapping affair to put a tube in. Two 70.3's, a TT and a 40 mile joyride this year (about 10 miles on a couple day old chipseal) and no problems. The only weird thing is that these two year old 23c tires measure 27.5 mm wide at 85 psi on HEDs at this point. I think that super thin casing has stretched a wee bit. I'm probably going to run a 23 front and 25 rear CS next year for the couple events I do. I'm not convinced that a 60 tpi butyl lined Conti 5000 is going to be a miracle tire and at my weight, I'll take any help in the rolling resistance department I can get.

As for sealant, I think the ones with more 'stuff' in them are crucial for higher PSI applications. Bontrager TLR, Orange Seal, Stan's Race and Cafelatex seem like good options. The caffelatex with the addition of their vitamina cl seems like something I really want to try if I didn't have a full 32 oz bottle of TLR and an open bottle of Orange Seal sitting around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hence why I asked the follow-up question in the IMFL thread... we should go back and look at Kona and see how many CS were there. There is no course IMHO that is more dangerous to tires than Kona. In my opinion tubeless provides a lot of opportunity for problems. Especially if you are changing the tires before an Ironman. Personally, I am more than happy to change out a latex tube & tire the Saturday before a race. Done it 50 times at least. Not so much tubeless. For me to comfortable with higher PSI racing tubeless tires, it is a Tuesday swap minimum and then some rides on them.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Continental 5000 GP tubeless ready [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can sympathize. I didn’t race this year so I did a lot of equipment experimentation. Tubeless road definitely has some pitfalls. I’ve had tape fail (never had that happen with tubes), tires burp, valves leak, sealant dry, tires not seat correctly, etc. For the time being I’m quite happy to stick with clinchers, latex tubes, and my Jet Blacks.

Generally the day before an A race I put on fresh race rubber and ride a bit. I can’t imagine doing a tubeless setup in a hotel room the day before a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went tubless this year with a set of mavic rims and could not be happier. The ride is a lot less harsh and I have a few 200 miles of chip and seal and no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental 5000 GP tubeless ready [pedal-boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only road tubeless setup that has been flawless so far for me has been on a set of Mavic Road UST rims. Everything else was a struggle fest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many of the CS setups you saw at the race were tubeless vs with a tube?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Continental 5000 GP tubeless ready [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three of the four (the fifth was a tubular) were set up tubeless. One of them had already flatted once before he got to me and he had a tube in.

As others have said, it's a fragile tire. I don't think anyone will refute that. Some have had really good luck running them. Some have not (myself included). I think some experimentation is warranted with sealant and perhaps vintage. TBH if I were to race tubeless tires I would use "race" sealant regardless (something with particles mixed in). If you're going to go through the tubeless hassle you might as well get all of the benefit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Three of the four (the fifth was a tubular) were set up tubeless. One of them had already flatted once before he got to me and he had a tube in.

As others have said, it's a fragile tire. I don't think anyone will refute that. Some have had really good luck running them. Some have not (myself included). I think some experimentation is warranted with sealant and perhaps vintage. TBH if I were to race tubeless tires I would use "race" sealant regardless (something with particles mixed in). If you're going to go through the tubeless hassle you might as well get all of the benefit.

...and pack a "plug" kit, so you're less likely to have to resort to trying break a bead on the road ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next