Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Conti GP4000 in Kona
Quote | Reply
There is unbelievable amount of this tire on the Kona bikes. Pro, AG... doesn't matter. We all have it, of course, but I am not racing on them (Vittoria Corsa Speed or Conti TT for me). Is the 4000 really that good?
I am aware there is a million posts about 4000, but it continues to surprise me
Last edited by: bojan: Oct 13, 18 4:22
Quote Reply
Re: Conti GP4000 in Kona [bojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd guess they value the well rounded features of it, and value not getting flat tires at the big show.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent question

The performances (rolling resistance, puncture resistance, measures, ...) of bile tyre ares carefully studied by some guys, showing the results on the web.

Continental :
The Conti GP4000S2 bring a very good blend of rolling efficiency, resistance to puncture, to wear, and dry/wet grip. Plus aero perf.
If we look at Continental tyres compared, the GP TT vs GP4000S2, according to my favorite tester :

GPTT is 19% better in rolling resistance
GPTT is 28% worse in resistance to puncture.

Not to mention significant difference in wear, and in aero, TT in front considered less aero that GP4000 (shape and tread design)

So, if you want to go safer, you go GP4000s2. If rolling perf only factor (ready to take more puncture risk, and forget the slight aero difference), you go TT.

My choice :
according to my favorite tester, Michelin Power Comp is near GPTT in rolling resistance, with same resistance to puncture as the GP4000 on the middle, but the sides more fragile. On flat Tri, not too much on the side. Eric Lagerstrom choice, apparently, for non draft Olympic and 70.3.
If mountain and lot of curves, holes and little rocks, will go GP4000s2.

Pros :
Many "Continental" pros go GP4000, many others go TT, some other have specials (seen a picture of GP TT Hawaii, with same tread design as the GP4000), also to cope with higher temperatures ?
Do you know the % of "chance" to get a puncture on the Hawaii 180 km ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the winds at Kona and the aero properties of the GP4000 which seem to match the yaws 5-15 deg.
Couple this with the rubbish event of a puncture.
Then yes it’s pretty much THE tyre for kona.

You can find faster rolling, like the CS but at 5-15 yaw the 4000 suddenly becomes more aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GP4000 does everything reasonably well, so it is a great install and forget tire.

Now what I am waiting for is the Gp4000 tubeless. That is the one thing it doesn't do!
Quote Reply