Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Congrats to Ironman Lake Placid Triathletes
Quote | Reply
Congratulations to everyone who competed today at Ironman Lake Placid. It was a tough day, the weather didn't help you at all, but you showed your determination and spirit.

Just having the courage to enter an Ironman makes you a top athlete!

If you have any "aches and pains" (and who doesn't) that you can't release in your normal stretching and massaging, feel free to post a message on our forum (www.julstro.com) and we'll do our best to help you find the spasms and release them.

Wishing you well,

Julie

Don't let pain cause a DNF! YOU are your own Best Therapist! Visit http://www.FlexibleAthlete.com and http://www.Julstro.com to learn logical solutions to repetitive strain injuries and how to stretch safely.
Quote Reply
Re: Congrats to Ironman Lake Placid Triathletes [JulieDonnelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK - the race is over. Here is my "standard" summary that I have posted on my club's e-mail exchange and a couple other sites - so I'm sorry if you've seen this already....too tired to write a new one now :)

For now, suffice it to say that it was the hardest thing I ever recall doing. I was still tired from Ironman Austria 3 weeks ago and IM USA is a challenging course. But, to make matters worse - the winds were whipping around gale force (OK - not that strong - but it was hella windy). I experienced more body contact (hits, kicks, people grabbing my legs) in this swim than any other triathlon swim of any distance. Then, we exit the waters to stormy skies. The skies opened up on us on some challenging climbs...into headwinds. When I got to T2 it was like a garden hose was on over my head. There was no way to stay dry - even walking into the change tent required walking through a waterfall of rain water pouring off the tent top. The streets were mid-shin deep rivers. By the second loop of the run it had dried up a bit. I managed to squeek out a 12 hour 16+ minutes finish.

Most important - in less than a week the generosity of friends like you resulted in my raising about $4500 for breast cancer research. Thank you all.

If anyone is thinking of doing IMUSA next year - better hurry. Already around 1700 have signed up.

Alan

Quote Reply
Re: Congrats to Ironman Lake Placid Triathletes [SFTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Lake Placid Race Report:

WET, HUMID, RAIN, WIND, repeat for 6+ hours of climbs and daredevil descents.

Add in projectile vomitting at mile 6 on the run, 6 miles of run/walk aid station to aid station, 2 hours of walking the Lake Placid port-o-let tour then a rise from the dead at mile 18 that even JC himself would admire to finish the last 8 miles at a 8:30 pace.

That gets you a 13:45, but I finished and now I understand what that means.

Already registered for '04.

Ross Hoopingarner
Quote Reply
Re: Congrats to Ironman Lake Placid Triathletes [Hoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After the race I almost didn't want to shower because I was so tired of being soaked. But it was a tough day made better by supportive crowds and excellent volunteers.

However, the finisher t-shirt was one of the lamest race shirts I've ever gotten. For $20 our local 5K can provide heavy cotton ts with great designs. I'm afraid the one I got Sunday might disintegrate in the laundry!
Quote Reply