Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Confused...Zipp Super 9 versus 808 FC for flat IM
Quote | Reply
Hi Slowtwitch brains trust. Need some help deciding on race wheel choice here...
Have IM WA coming up which is a pancake flat 2 lap bike course and my first attempt at this distance. Can get quite windy at times and this wind can change direction quite a lot over the duration of the bike course.
I have both a Zipp Super 9 disc and 808 FC, both clinchers, both running 23 mm GP 5000's with latex tubes (can't go wider tyre width as it rubs at the back). The disc has been mainly used for some short course stuff just for the love of it.
I am confused as to what wheel to use.....
On the one hand....the various articles I have read would seem to state that the benefits of the disc may only be 12-15 secs per 40 km which is not huge over the IM distance. It would also mean I would need to carry alternative spare tubes just for the disc as well (ie no valve extenders).
On the other hand I have a read that a lot of people will always use a rear disc when given the opportunity.
I don't trust the numbers being put out by best bike split....
If it helps....am aiming to average around 210-215 watts (just under 75% of FTP) which will hopefully equate to a bike time of just over 5 hours on the day....
Any help appreciated......have not trained on the disc at all but still have time to get a few rides in with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Confused...Zipp Super 9 versus 808 FC for flat IM [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disc.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc.

Why do you think that you would need to carry two tubes?
Quote Reply
Re: Confused...Zipp Super 9 versus 808 FC for flat IM [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 808's need a valve extender and the disc just a standard non extended tube...the way the disc is you can't get anything longer in there...I guess I could always plan on using the extender if needed and changing it over but that sounds like a bit of a hassle?

jimatbeyond wrote:
Disc.

Why do you think that you would need to carry two tubes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He would either have to cary two tubes or mess around with a valve extender depending on which wheel flatted.
The disc is likely faster but your math is also likely correct, one minute faster. On a flat closed course I really wouldn’t worry about the wind with your rear wheel choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In your flat kit, you have one tube with a valve extender attached.

If the tire on your disc wheel flats, you remove the extender and install the tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Confused...Zipp Super 9 versus 808 FC for flat IM [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
In your flat kit, you have one tube with a valve extender attached.

If the tire on your disc wheel flats, you remove the extender and install the tube.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Last long ride of the IM build today....put the disc on and it was great. Managed to hit the 180k mark in 5:19 which I was happy with considering it was a 6 hour total ride and the usual fluffing around involved in a training ride.
Winds were strong and felt super stable. I had forgotten how nice the disc feels when sitting on 40 kph in some sections....felt almost effortless holding that speed.
Decision made for race day now....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc all the way, especially in busso.

If you're concerned about flats, put some tubeless sealant into the tubular, and you'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
I have both a Zipp Super 9 disc and 808 FC, both clinchers, both running 23 mm GP 5000's with latex tubes (can't go wider tyre width as it rubs at the back).

I just happened to have had this issue with an 808 FC, rubbing when I was climbing in standing position. It appeared that a) the bearings had play and b) the spokes were not tight enough (I had not looked at this since I bought it years ago).
After turning the play out of the bearing (the 808 has a ring for controlling the play) and tightening the spokes (1/2 a turn at the left hand side, 1/4 at the right hand side) the wheel was a lot stiffer and the rubbing had an end.

Wonders me that the disk is not stiff enough?
Quote Reply