Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Concept2 SkiErg for swimming?
Quote | Reply
Has someone tried to use a Concept2 SkiErg for dryland swim training? Looks like it should work, all you would have to do is replace the handles with some paddles. At $770 much cheaper that the Vasa Erg.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg for swimming? [lmar77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New gym has one...

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My local gym has one and I've tried it. It's sort of workable *but* you can't replace the grips on it which makes it a non-starter IMO. Also, your shoulders get fried in short order from "recovering".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever try out the Concept2?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest just using the rowing Erg. Even though is is "mainly legs and core", because you have to transfer your leg and arm power through your upper body, you get enough cross training for it to be very beneficial in the pool....then just go to the pool and get swim specific. Use the rowing erg for general body conditioning and you're set
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg for swimming? [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one and use it a lot. I bought it because my kids are XC skiers and their team has 4 of them, they wanted one at home and and my wife and I also wanted one.

I think it is great for swimming, you can hold the base of the handle between your thumb and index finger and get the same arm motion as a high elbow catch. I was also thinking about modifying a set of paddles to "latch" on to the handles which should not be too hard.

I have been mixing it into some strength sessions where I do the 500 M ski, then use the 1 minute recovery to do push ups, situps, squats. Its a killer workout. If you do good double poling technique it also works your abs, and there is a calf raise / small squat in each pull.
Last edited by: endosch2: Aug 9, 18 8:24
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg for swimming? [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response. That's what I was kinda thinking after doing some research this morning. Is the floor stand required?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I dont have the floor stand. You bolt it to the wall at the top of the unit and at the bottom. There are two floor bolts go into the base plate 2" x 4" of a regular framed wall, the top are 16" on center so they hit the vertical studs of a framed wall on center. You can buy the floor stand if you plan to move it around. I have it in my basement pain cave. It costs $40 for UPS delivery and I had it assembled and working in 30 minutes max. It is really solid.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg for swimming? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
My local gym has one and I've tried it. It's sort of workable *but* you can't replace the grips on it which makes it a non-starter IMO. Also, your shoulders get fried in short order from "recovering".

You can replace the grips if you want. There are small set screws in the bottom of the handles and you take those out to get to the loop of rope. In a first generation unit they had a XC ski pole handle and regular strap but too many people did not know how to use them correctly so they switched to the current green handles that have the flanges at the bottom. You can buy the older design if you prefer those.

Concept 2 is primarily designing things now for cross fit gyms so the new handles were better for people who just want to grab and go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
Thanks for the response. That's what I was kinda thinking after doing some research this morning. Is the floor stand required?

I don't swim but, I've had mine since February of this year. I also have the C2 rower. The rower is pretty much all posterior and the skierg nearly all anterior. It certainly provides a great core, arm, upper back and shoulder workout. Incredibly aerobic too. Great for HII training. All around a terrific piece of equipment.

Also, with the new one you can "single pole" with it so you can sort emulate the free style. I believe there are some youtube vids regarding using the skierg for swim cross training.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg for swimming? [kini62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought one. Do you think it's help you with your swimming?

Even if it doesn't for me, I like the workout and it looks fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg for swimming? [kini62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My gym has one of these. What does a workout on the ski erg look like? 5 min, 30 min, endurance, intervals, etc.?
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg for swimming? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
My gym has one of these. What does a workout on the ski erg look like? 5 min, 30 min, endurance, intervals, etc.?

Any workout you want from a long slow distance type to HIIT to anything in between.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg for swimming? [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
I think it is great for swimming, you can hold the base of the handle between your thumb and index finger and get the same arm motion as a high elbow catch. I was also thinking about modifying a set of paddles to "latch" on to the handles which should not be too hard.

I just recently got a SkiErg. I agree that the motion of the lats and triceps is similar to what one does when swimming. The difference is in the motion the hips: Correct technique with the SkiErg involves hip flexion with each downward stroke which is not done when swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been thinking the same thing. Seems like attaching paddles ("Deluxe Swim Paddles" or "Power Paddles" made by the Vasa Swim Trainer folks) to it would allow you to more closely mimic the high elbow catch.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg for swimming? [Dreadnought] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using it as intended will help your swimming strength endurance for sure but ideally you should modify the technique to suit swimming if that's what you are using it for...

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg for swimming? [TheGuyInDC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg for swimming? [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonathan22 wrote:
Wouldn't these work? https://www.roguefitness.com/...andle-extension-pair

Those would work fine if the handle was a little closer to the green handle, just so you can reach all the way forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a DIY ski erg using a bike trainer mounted up near the ceiling, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P81cRegipUw I use it a fair amount. I've modified it since that video with a dowel connected to the chain and them XC ski pole grips on the ends of the dowel. I have issues with the chain skipping around on the cassette. It would be better to have a single cog, but I use the different cogs for different resistance. I don't swim at all in the Winter, I do some XC ski racing, so this is a specific workout for that. I think it keeps your upper body in good swimming shape. I rollerski too (as well as actually XC skiing, but I live in South Central PA, so that is usually a couple hour drive). I would love to have a Concept 2 ski erg, but the cost keeps me away.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg for swimming? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I would suggest just using the rowing Erg. Even though is is "mainly legs and core", because you have to transfer your leg and arm power through your upper body, you get enough cross training for it to be very beneficial in the pool....then just go to the pool and get swim specific. Use the rowing erg for general body conditioning and you're set

The rowing erg is a great cross training tool which helps in all aspects. However the SkiErg appears to be more swim specific (lats and triceps) and may be a better substitute for swimmers who cannot always get to a pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ohhhh I would love a ski-erg. I have a Concept2 Row Erg, and I enjoy it, but as my main sports are swimming and nordic skiing, I would much prefer a skierg. However, they are not as easily available on ebay or craigslist as a c2 row erg.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg for swimming? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reviving an old thread. Do these things ever go on sale? Just decided on buying one, but can wait for deal (if it exists).
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg for swimming? [spool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Highly doubt it. They’re even hard to find used. People seem to hang on to them more than the RowErg

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg for swimming? [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonathan22 wrote:
Wouldn't these work? https://www.roguefitness.com/...andle-extension-pair

It seems to me that these would work better

https://vasatrainer.com/...arts-swimerg/page/2/

Has anyone tried to put the Vasa paddles on the SkiErg?
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg for swimming? [Dreadnought] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dreadnought wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

The rowing erg is a great cross training tool which helps in all aspects. However the SkiErg appears to be more swim specific (lats and triceps) and may be a better substitute for swimmers who cannot always get to a pool.

Agreed that skierg is a better crossover to swim, but if there is nothing rowing machine is awesome. I went from 20km swimming per week pre pandemic, to zero for 4 months and then got back in the water and did 10km in my first week back then 20-30km per week swimming immediately after that with the fitness I preserved upper body on the ski erg, and overall volume on the run and some biking.
Quote Reply

Prev Next