Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Concentrating Liquid Race Nutrition
Quote | Reply
Curious to know if anyone has had success concentrating their liquid nutrition for the bike. Typically I use a concentrate bottle, squirt 4oz into a BTA every hour, and dilute with water picked up at aid stations.

I looking to go for a mix that will dilute well and is light as I’m prone to GI issues and my current mix of Infinite isn't working. Both the Maurten (both 160/380) and SIS Beta fuel looking promising but look like they have to be specifically mixed with the proper amount of water to work effectively. I’ve also looked at EFS, but cant find much info on concentrating that either.

Any experience, input, or thoughts would be appreciated.
Last edited by: DashLash: May 7, 19 6:39
Quote Reply
Re: Concentrating Liquid Race Nutrition [DashLash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, I have had success concentrating Hammer Perpetuem. They actually recommend concentrating it as one of the ways to use it.

I wouldn't qualify it as "light" though and doubt you would want to dilute it after concentrating it. TBH though I doubt any of these super calorie maltodextrin drinks could be light. If you are concerned about the whole osmality thing I have no clue about that and perpetuem. I do know that some drinks make some claims about their osmality and how it's so great for absorption.

I can put 3 servings (810 cals total) into one bottle. Then sip it over 3 hours with water as needed BTA from aid stations.

Mixing the stuff requires a wire shaker ball canister, if not it is almost impossible.

Main gripe is that is does go sour after too long in the heat. There are ways around it though but it's an inconvenience nonetheless. Hammer does provide all the support you need though on using perpetuem, they are really good in that area.

It has never given me any GI issues but I have never really ridden hard using it. I guess anything will make you sick though if you ride hard enough and eat enough of it. Price seems to be good compared to other maltodextrins out there, hate to say it but I am a cheapie. I wanted to switch to gatorade endurance but it is a lot more expensive per calorie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had good success doing this with tailwind.

Someone should come out with a product specifically designed for this... Enough people make a "sludge" mix out of other products ignoring the mixing recommendations that there is a market for it in long course triathlon. Maybe it is not feasible, but if someone could make a product that gets 2000 calories of ~70% glucose and ~30% fructose into a 20oz bottle I would be all over that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried Maurten, and it's quite good. I don't think you have to be exact exact with the water content. I tested it with a higher and lower concentration.

My training and race nutrition is First Endurance. For a half, I will have two bottles of 3-4 scoops EFS Pro, and one bottle of EFS Liquid Shot diluted with water. 1 Liquid Shot is 400cal and 100g carb, but easy on the stomach (and easier to get down when diluted). On the run, I will have 1/4 Liquid Shot hand bottle filled with water and otherwise grab water + RedBull and Coke towards the end. My stomach is sensitive too, and FE has worked really well for me.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: Concentrating Liquid Race Nutrition [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:
I have had good success doing this with tailwind.

Someone should come out with a product specifically designed for this... Enough people make a "sludge" mix out of other products ignoring the mixing recommendations that there is a market for it in long course triathlon. Maybe it is not feasible, but if someone could make a product that gets 2000 calories of ~70% glucose and ~30% fructose into a 20oz bottle I would be all over that.

CarboPro.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use concentrated nutrition as well... Powerbars and EFS gel. Works great.

DashLash wrote:
Curious to know if anyone has had success concentrating their liquid nutrition for the bike. Typically I use a concentrate bottle, squirt 4oz into a BTA every hour, and dilute with water picked up at aid stations.

I looking to go for a mix that will dilute well and is light as I’m prone to GI issues and my current mix of Infinite isn't working. Both the Maurten (both 160/380) and SIS Beta fuel looking promising but look like they have to be specifically mixed with the proper amount of water to work effectively. I’ve also looked at EFS, but cant find much info on concentrating that either.

Any experience, input, or thoughts would be appreciated.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SIS isotonic gels in a bike drink bottle. You can get 11 into a 750ml bottle if memory serves me right, all you need for an IM bike along with water and the odd on course drink.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Straight Gatorade.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You risk dropping ALL your cals. You have to mix stuff while riding. You might not mix right.

More people screw it up than get it right. Only takes a few sips of super-concentrated stuff to really mess you up.

Do it in training before he race with it. And keep in mind the stuff they give you at IM aid stations is not that bad, and you can easily carry most your calories in the first place without doing it, so you don’t need to pick up that much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used triple concentration Infinit. Matched it with bottles of water (use transparent bottles so you can see how much you've drunk).

I did lose a bottle of water in an IM so for about a half hour I was without both hydration and nutrition because I was too afraid to drink the highly concentrated Infinit without water.
Quote Reply