Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you really don't. Educate yourself instead of being obnoxious.

Power13 wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
I find it quite comical the opinions expressed by those that do not know weapons, or have not had any CC training. Once any of you go through the course, you find yourself NEVER wanting to use it instead of these knuckleheads on here thinking we are all armed cowboys. Halfway through my course I realized what a responsibility it is, and one NEVER escalates or shows their hand. I had to decide if I really was ready for CC and what a responsibility it is.

I feel sorry for the sheep here in lalaland.

Let me know how the band works....

Seriously...you got "halfway" through the course before you realized what a responsibility it is to carry a concealed weapon?

I've never taken a CC course, have no desire to take a CC course but I know full well what a responsibility it is to carry a weapon.
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [HBB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It worked like a charm. I just ran 8 miles in 98 - 96 degree heat index. I carried a hammerless revolver, but could have easily carried my sig 290. Have to let the thing sit out overnight to dry out and the gun was pretty wet from sweat, but this was running. This wouldn't be the same issue cycling. It could have also carried an ipod in the other side or front pouch.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great,

Good to see sane people here and also being man enough to admit to it.

I have invest in refreshing my MA skills rather than bother to carry.....
If the guy in Corona del Mar (other thread) would try to lay hands on me I would be able to take him out without much noise, fuss or danger to bystanders.....and then quietly dial 911.

Some real power in knowing you have the situation under control....and the guy in the vid looked like he knew he could defend himself if he needed to (even straddling a bike). Or he was just wide-eyed naive...

sxevegan wrote:
i'm taking my SDA class this weekend so that I'll be able to start carrying soon. When I bought my gun, I had a tough decision to make -- do I want something small enough to carry on the bike (like a S&W Bodyguard 380 that should fit in a jersey pocket) or not.

I tried to come up with scenarios in which I would be able to legally use that firearm while riding. I couldn't come up with many, and the ones I did think of had a low enough probability that I decided to go with an XDS 9mm instead, and not carry on the bike. If a car ran over my friends (or myself) the threat would be gone at the same time as the collision, so i don't think you could legally fire. I'm not going to shoot a dog. A mugging might be a scenario for some, but it has a super low probability where I ride, and the chances of somebody making me feel like my life is being threatened during a bike theft is super low. Plug, thugs don't usually mess with guys in spandex, in my experience.

The only realistic situation I could come up with is rolling up on another crime in progress and needing a gun to protect somebody else. (for example, a rape, armed robbery, etc). I could see a realistic possibility of that happening someday, so that gave me a small motivation to carry on the bike, but not enough that I decided it would be worth the hassle. Maybe after carrying on my person over the next few months will influence me to change my mind, but for now I'm going to have it on me at all times EXCEPT the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
rijndael wrote:
jonnyo wrote:
....please, stay away from canada!!!! no need for weapon up north! we dont like guns!

I think you use the term "we" a bit too loosely. There are plenty of guns/gun owners in Canada already. I've met plenty of civilian shooters from Canada; I don't know where they all live, but you have a thriving community in Abbotsford. Abbotsford Fish & Game Club is actually a pretty decent facility.

not really, as a society, we made the choice that carrying a weapon in canada isn't allowed unless you have a special permission for your work on protection of life. But a civilian can't. it s a choice we made, and while I understand there are still people loving guns and the sport of shooting...... we overall don't want gun in the streets....

I personally dont want guns in the streets either, but people who are going to do harm with guns are going to have them either way, legal or not
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This...or for a fucking wallet with a couple of credit cards and what not.
Killing someone for that? Really?? Also, on the bike, you're immensely more likely to never be
able to use your gun because you'll be either t-boned or hit from behind if something happens.
Anyway, what do I know? I'm just a silly 140lb girly man. I need to find that Forgie book about how to
be a manly man.
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.

I usually do a 4 to 5 hour trainer ride once per week and a two hour run on the treadmill once a week. Actually I have a two hour run on the treadmill today....
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So before you went through your course you had no idea what a responsibility carrying a gun is? Good to know.

If you saw some of the people that I took guns off of while I was a deputy sheriff you would be scared out of your mind. And these were the people that were legally allowed to carry guns.

So since I don’t carry a gun you are calling me a sheep? Carrying a weapon does not make someone a man. It does not make someone an alpha male to have a gun. I guarantee there are people out there (like me) that would disarm you if you ever pulled a gun on me!. Granted this may not always work but pulling a gun in self-defense does not always work as well. For example:

If I were a bad guy and I pulled a gun on you and tried to take your bike (for this example) and you tried to reach behind you to pull your weapon, I don’t think that things would work out well for you.

Do you know how many times an armed “good guy” prevents something bad with a gun? It is not very often. Often times they make the situation worse.

But hey, it is your 2nd Amendment right (debatable).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent, thank you for your constructive feedback.

Unfortunately this thread keeps on going and going and going due to those that can't get over their "issues".

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [gshtrisport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are taking what I said out of context to make whatever point you make. It's a personal decision and make your own. I'll make mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you tell me what you DID when you were confronted. ? Did you kill them? Because if you have never been in a life and death situation, you really do not know how you will handle the one you envision in your head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gshtrisport wrote:
Yes.

I usually do a 4 to 5 hour trainer ride once per week and a two hour run on the treadmill once a week. Actually I have a two hour run on the treadmill today....

Fuck that, I don't love this sport enough to do that. I'll take my chances with cars, loose dogs on indian reservations, and the local serial killer.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure this lady thought she chose a "safer place" to run to. But I guess most of you can run faster than most potential attackers.

http://www.usatoday.com/...her-killer/88607310/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lets assume that if she had a gun she would of killed her attacker.................does that mean if we all carried guns there would be less deaths?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gshtrisport wrote:

Do you know how many times an armed “good guy” prevents something bad with a gun? It is not very often. Often times they make the situation worse.

According to Gary Kleck, Ph.D., professor in the School of Criminology and Criminal Justice at Florida State University in Tallahassee and author of "Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America,” the good guy prevents something bad with a gun over 2.5 million times a year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Lets assume that if she had a gun she would of killed her attacker.................does that mean if we all carried guns there would be less deaths?

Does it matter? Does it matter that if I am allowed to defend myself with firearms, that some nitwit will accidentally shoot himself with his? Does it matter that if I choose to defend my family with firearms, that 5000 gang-bangers will shoot each other with firearms each and every year? Gang killings account for HALF of all gun killings in America. Should that matter to me?

==================

From the Pennsylvania Constitution of 1776, which predates the United States Bill of Rights: "The people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the state."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I think so. Even if every legally authorized citizen (idiots included) owned a gun, I think we would be better off. But I would prefer all responsible adults do it. In my experience, most rational adults who come in contact with guns and handle them become instant converts. I've seen 40 year old plus liberal women become instant gun advocates once they handled them and got over the initial fear. The anti-gun argument is based on emotion and inexperience, vs ours which is based on experience and fact. CDC even suggest that we would be better off.

http://www.nap.edu/read/18319/chapter/1#v

Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [DJFaithful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJFaithful wrote:
From the Pennsylvania Constitution of 1776, which predates the United States Bill of Rights: "The people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the state."
And other good stuff from around that time, in this case the main text of the US Constitution: "Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. "

gshtrisport wrote:
Carrying a weapon does not make someone a man. It does not make someone an alpha male to have a gun.
It looks like just the opposite in the modern word: the gun is compensation for some male insecurity. Maybe not for concealed carry, but open carry guys for sure.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: Aug 12, 16 10:58
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
DJFaithful wrote:

And other good stuff from around that time, in this case the main text of the US Constitution: "Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. "

So what's your point?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJFaithful wrote:
gshtrisport wrote:

According to Gary Kleck, Ph.D., professor in the School of Criminology and Criminal Justice at Florida State University in Tallahassee and author of "Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America,” the good guy prevents something bad with a gun over 2.5 million times a year.

Interesting.
Do you consider Kleck's work from 1994 as good and of high quality.
Do you find his method and sample correct?
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
DJFaithful wrote:
gshtrisport wrote:

Interesting.

Well, truthfully, I don't really care about his method or his study. I'm a libertarian, not a scientist. I don't want to live in a country in which the government disarms me because "it knows what's best" for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJFaithful wrote:
Halvard wrote:
DJFaithful wrote:
gshtrisport wrote:

Interesting.

Well, truthfully, I don't really care about his method or his study. I'm a libertarian, not a scientist. I don't want to live in a country in which the government disarms me because "it knows what's best" for me.

So you just like to use some fake science if the conclusion is in alignment with your political view.

Interesting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJFaithful wrote:
jt10000 wrote:
DJFaithful wrote:

So what's your point?
That just because something is old doesn't make it right. The "Other persons" are slaves in that text are slaves.

It's the 21st Century.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: Aug 12, 16 11:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJFaithful wrote:
Kenney wrote:

Does it matter? Does it matter that if I am allowed to defend myself with firearms, that some nitwit will accidentally shoot himself with his? Does it matter that if I choose to defend my family with firearms, that 5000 gang-bangers will shoot each other with firearms each and every year? Gang killings account for HALF of all gun killings in America. Should that matter to me?

==================

Hell no it doesn't matter.

Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
DJFaithful wrote:
Halvard wrote:
DJFaithful wrote:
gshtrisport wrote:

Interesting.

So you just like to use some fake science if the conclusion is in alignment with your political view.

Interesting

What are you 12? Don't put words in my mouth. It's not fake science. It's good science, but like all science, good or otherwise, it's subject to scrutiny. But as I said, good or bad science, neither will disarm me. If you don't like the particular constitutional amendment in question here, then try to amend it. Rescind it. The framers provided a method for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
DJFaithful wrote:
jt10000 wrote:
DJFaithful wrote:

So what's your point?
That just because something is old doesn't make it right. The "Other persons" are slaves in that text are slaves.

It's the 21st Century.

It's actually new. the Pennsylvania constitution still guarantees an individual right to bear arms. I know about the "other persons." Do you know how that part of the constitution was changed? It was amended. The framers provided a method to amend the constitution. You don't like the Second Amendment? Go try to amend it. Personally, I don't think the right to self-defense ever goes out of style.
Quote Reply

Prev Next