Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Computrainer worth it?
Quote | Reply
I'd like to get some feedback from those of you who have used one. Does it make it easier to ride indoors? Are the features worth the cost? Has it made you stronger? Which features do you use the most? Which are superfluous? Which package is best? Are there extras to purchase that you need to truly maximize the experience? Help!
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer worth it? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had a computrainer for about 6 years and use it primarily in the winter although I do some intervals year round on it. I have the old fashioned Nintendo unit and love it. It is easy to calibrate and easy to design custom courses. I imagine the newer units that you can update with the Delorme software would be even better. It is awesome for doing interval repeats on. It is awesome for testing max watts and max sprint watts on. I top out at about 2.5 hour rides however due to boredom. However on a standard trainer I can't ride that long because I am bored. One feature I use a lot is storing a course and time and then racing myself the next time I ride. This lets me compare where I am from season to season. I am happy to say this year I am about 6 weeks ahead of where I was last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought mine in December as a Christmas present to myself and it's awesome! I just moved to upstate ny from atlanta so 6 months out of the year I will be doing most workouts inside. I have been riding 3X a week with a longish ride on saturday of 2 hrs and the time flies. There is so much instant feedback that keeps you focused. Plus I set up a vcr next to the tv so I can watch old IMs and stuff.

I have the pc1 version and the only difference between that and the 3d version is the fact that the on screen rider is not in 3d. Big deal.

I love that I can ride, save that race and than race my last performance to test myself. Spinscan is amazing in that you can truly see what a masher you really are and than see how to correct it.

Totally worth the cost. The extended payment plan makes it like $80/month or something like that. I also got a free six month off season workout from the coaches at TriTrainer.com when I mentioned their name when I bought the computrainer. I would recommend that as well.

I can see using the ct even as the weather turns warmer. I think it's a better workout than riding outside in some ways as you never stop pedalling, there are not stop signs, wild dogs, etc. Plus you can measure your progress definitevly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently went thru the same purchase decision. Couldn't find anyone who had anything negative to say about the Computrainer, other than the price. Given that, I finally ordered a TACX basic unit ($360) because I couldn't buy into the Computrainer right now. The Tacx will give you power/ergometer function without all the Computrainer Bells & whistles. If I had the money, I would've gone with the Computrainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you need all the bells and whistles of a CT. (video entertainment etc) I would recommed spending the money on an SRM system, which can be used on your trainer as well as on the road. of course as Dan pointed out the CT lets you set a certain power output that you must maintain.

For serious training such as your own intervall workouts, AT testing etc. you are better of with a powermeter. I use a CT as well as the SRM system. (I think the SRM is also more accurate - but can't prove it)

AR
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer worth it? [Redemann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, we're thinking along the same lines AR. The TACX will give me the ergometer function (set # watts & it maintains it). When I get more money, I'll get an on-road system (currently favoring the Powertap over the Polar or SRM). The end result will be around the same price as a Computrainer ($360 Tacx + $850 Powertap), but with on-road versatility. I don't mean to downplay the importance of the Computrainer "bells & whistles." My limited time on a Computrainer leads me to believe the extra Computrainer features are great from both a motivational aspect & a training aspect (spinscan), but the Tacx/Powertap option happened to meet my money & training requirements best.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer worth it? [MattinRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also recently went througth the purchase process. I ended up with a Performance Axiom. The price is right ($350) at performcancebike.com. I then bought Netathlon from fitcentric.com. I now ride with others online using the netathlon program. It is truly a blast to ride with others in the winter when it is 5 degrees. I have a high speed net connection and can talk with others while riding.

Jon Bergmann
http://jonbergmann.com
Quote Reply