Prev Next
Computrainer going under?
Quote | Reply
Saw this, not sure of validity....

https://tomdemerly.com/...ing-out-of-business/
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Innovate or get left behind. The Wahoo Kickr started a new trend of trainers.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No idea but I did notice a couple of times last week when I tried to go to their website that it was down. Seems to be abck up though.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If true, what's Dave going to do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer!

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm shocked they are still in business.

They should have sold their tech to a bigger company and cashed out years ago instead of dying a slow death due to lack of innovation.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I thought that no one came close for HARDWARE. It seems smart to open up the software side for all, but they were way too late to that party. Another issue was they are/were made too well, and once bought, lasted many, many years, unlike our "planned obsolescence" manufacturing so prevalent. Still a great tool when used with TrainerRoad, Strava, etc.

BryanD wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Actually, I thought that no one came close for HARDWARE. It seems smart to open up the software side for all, but they were way too late to that party. Another issue was they are/were made too well, and once bought, lasted many, many years, unlike our "planned obsolescence" manufacturing so prevalent. Still a great tool when used with TrainerRoad, Strava, etc.

BryanD wrote:

Agreed. I bought mine in 2002 and it's still going strong. I haven't used CT software in years, all the other software platforms are compatible. I'll use mine until it breaks, if I don't die first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, hope this is not true. I sure love using my velotrons, but I do need replacement parts once in a while. Sure would hate to end
up with very expensive paper weights.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure you've gotten your money's worth by now.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSully wrote:

Maybe, but since there is NOTHING on the market that comes close to the velotron, .....

I just hope I can get some spare parts and have these units outlive me.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:

BryanD wrote:

I agree regarding hardware. The number of horror stories you can find for wheel-on smart trainers (cycleops, tacx, KK, wahoo) is absurd despite those products having relatively small, inactive user bases. Computrainer? You're very hard pressed to find hardware issues with Computrainer despite a much larger, more mature, and arguably more active user base.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
JSully wrote:

Maybe, but since there is NOTHING on the market that comes close to the velotron, .....

I just hope I can get some spare parts and have these units outlive me.

How often does something need to be repaired or replaced? I mean... seriously... at this rate I'm pretty sure computers will stop having USB ports before I actually have to replace anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like they were actively tweeting yesterday, including one this morning. Not sure what's going on.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other than wires, I have no complaints re the hardware. I certainly have never had an ant + drop out on zwift like so many others seem to have on a regular basis.

Seems like a suicide vs natural causes though. Definitely brought on by lack of action by management. Maybe someone else can buy the division and do some actual innovation, or even just make it open source and sell rock solid hardware.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Magnus last year. Regret it. Would dearly swap it for a CT.

Great hardware. Software control is ok now. Road feel is fine. Wired connections beat ant+ every time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So who's going to go buy a matchrider now?

;)

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you can just keep using the computrainer. what about the software? I'm just curious because I go to a cycling class once a week with computrainers setup. obviously they'll have to now change those out once they die, if ever. I suppose they can't just keep using the computrainers and software until one or both die. Does trainerroad have a setup where you have have multiple users running at same time on same display?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder what all those bike shops with indoor cycling classes/ time trials will use going forward. You have all that investment in hardware. Plus It seems that for a situation in which people come and go, the fact of not having to take off a wheel/worry about gearing/compatibility, etc is probably the most convenient for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't say I'm surprised if this turns out to be true. As BryanD mentioned...innovate or get left behind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now who am I going to sue when my flywheel explodes up my ass and causes me to almost hemorrhage to death?
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
I wonder what all those bike shops with indoor cycling classes/ time trials will use going forward. You have all that investment in hardware. Plus It seems that for a situation in which people come and go, the fact of not having to take off a wheel/worry about gearing/compatibility, etc is probably the most convenient for them.

after computrainer, what's considered next best on wheel trainer? wahoo kickr snap? cycleops magnus? are those as solidly built as computrainer?
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably something by Elite.

Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [RZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoever buys during a forthcoming bankruptcy, or the parent company.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kickr Snap and Magnus are both solid trainers and you will be happy with either one.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply

Prev Next