Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Computrainer Set up & Courses.
Quote | Reply
I'm having trouble setting up my Kestrel 200 on my Computrainer, can anyone help? Basically, I find that when I try to fit the cadence sensor on the chainstay that it fouls the magnet on the crank (Campag Chorus). Has anyone any solutions or can I stick a flat magnet to the crank?

The other question is, is the Ironman Frankfurt course available anywhere?

Thanks Guys.

Julian in England.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Set up & Courses. [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went down stairs and looked at your problem and seem to come to the conclusion that it's your crank. I ride a Shimano crank and it has a slight bow that provides enough (although just barely) clearance for the maganets. It been many years since I've looked a campy... so, if you don't have that slight bow that is probably your cause of the problem (not the thickness of the rear carbon fiber chainstay - although that doesn't help)

Two suggestions: Make sure the velcro that holds tha CT magnet is on right and very tight. Also, yes you can use a flat magnet (simular to what you find on refrigerator magnets). However, I don't know of a flat magnet sold for your situation. On the otherhand, I can think of a few ways that you might be able to rig a flat magnet on your bike. One suggestion is to find a refrigerator magnet - cut to size and duck tape it on ... don't know if it will work... but it would be a simple solution.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Set up & Courses. [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone once posted that they super glued the parts to their bike. The computrainer part picks up the cadence from my bike computer magnet. so I only use one magnet.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Set up & Courses. [Pam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too only use one magnet for the cadence sensor for both the CT and my wireless HRM (w/cadence). However, I think the query was fitting the magnet between the chain stay and the crank.

As for putting super glue to hold the magnet... that may work on a metal crank... but I wouldn't do that on a carbon fiber crank nor if you ride in sub-freezing temperatures (super glue can turn brittle in extremely cold temperatures).

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a while ago another poster suggested getting the rare earth magnet from radio shack for like $1.50. It's really small and works great - so he said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Julian,

I use Rare Earth Neodymium magnets. You can get tiny thin ones that will 'stick' to your pedal spindal on the inside of your crank. This way they are easy to take off (no tape or adhesive or strap) and they take almost zero clearance. I buy mine from a security parts distributor (they are relatively cheap, $1-$2 ea.) and used for door/window magnetic contact. They are the thickness of about 2 dimes, and can be had in several diameters (from smaller than a dime to about dime sized). They will give you plenty of clearance from your chainstay, and they are much more powerful than a regular bike magnet, so the positioning of the cadence pick-up sensor is much less finicky!

I just did a quick Google search, and here is a link to something similar http://www.wondermagnet.com/dev/magnet3.html

Good Luck

Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Set up & Courses. [joeh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Guys for your responses, I shall find out where in England I can get a Rare earth magnet. All I need now is that IM Germany route. Any suggestions?

Julian in England

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply