Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Computrainer Computer question
Quote | Reply
What kind of PC do you really need to power a Computrainer? I have a Dell Celeron 333 with 128 MB RAM that is sitting around doing nothing. I can upgrade the video card for around $60 to an nVidea TNT 64MB card. Will this be enough computer to do the 3D stuff? This is going to be in the garage, so I don't want to use my good computer.

BTW, the minimum requirements say this would be enough, but minimum is often sub-optimal.

Thanks,

John
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Computer question [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your equipment should be fine. I've been running a Computrainer with a 300 PII / 64 Meg system without any problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Computrainer site "To try Version 3.0 before you buy - or to determine if Version 3.0 will run correctly on your PC - first check the system requirements and then download and try the Demo Version.

Click here to download the Demo Version of CompuTrainer 3D Version 3.0
Note: this will download 3Dv3Demo.exe (12MB in size)"

Why not try the demo on your current setup and see?
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Computer question [danb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't dumped the $60 on the video card yet. I tried that and it won't run with the current video card because it only has 4 megs of video RAM - all I see is a really pretty hourglass... If it will work out on a system with a mediocre processor and a decent video card, then I will invest the $60, otherwise I will look picking up another machine - but this would suck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be fine. I have a PII 350Mhz 256MB in the garage for my CT. I originally ran fine with an 8MB video card and 128MB. But I upgraded that to a 64MB card with a TV tuner (and the RAM upgrade was cheap).

With the TV tuner, I now record some tri's as they're shown on TV. And can then watch them as I ride.

Rob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What operating system are you using? I just double checked, my system is actually a PII 233 Mhz with an integrated video system, but I'm running Win98, which is a lot lighter than WinNT or Win2k. I'm also using an older version of the computrainer, v116.

You should definitely be able to use the PC1 software, It just doesn't look as pretty.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Computer question [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will probably run on Win2K, though I could go with 98 if I had to. I found a video card in the discount bin at CompUSA, so I will give that a shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. Decent video card and it is working fine.

Thanks,

John
Quote Reply