Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Computrainer - Works standalone, can calibrate but not detected by laptop
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I have a Computrainer. I can use it in Standalone and I can calibrate it. If I start it even with audio cable in the EXT PC, it's starting in calibration mode. Look like head controller not detecting the cable or something, the computer is not detecting the computer trainer either. I have tried with another head controller, I have changed the DIN cable, I have changed the audio to USB FTDI cable, I have tried with the old laptop I was using before with Computrainer 3D, I have tried with a more recent laptop with Racer mate free version No way to get the head controller detect the Pro mode or the computer to detect. Any tips?
Thanks,
Al
Last edited by: Flackzo: Dec 31, 21 13:08
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer - Works standalone, can calibrate but not detected by laptop [Flackzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I got rid of my Computrainer years ago but have some memories of setting it up. If I remember correctly you are to run a check of your desktop computer ports and look for the Computrainer. Then set that as the port. I checked and Computrainer owners manuals are available on line.

By the way if yours has the blue flywheel, don’t use it as it has been recalled.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer - Works standalone, can calibrate but not detected by laptop [Flackzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I would try to do if you have access to enough components is start with a working setup. You mentioned you tried with another head controller. Do you have a friend with a full CT setup that works? If so, start with that and swap in parts from yours and see when it fails. It could be the drivers aren't working with your serial to stereo adapter. The good news is if it's working fine in standalone mode then it's unlikely (though not impossible) that it's the load generator or the DIN cables.

Since when you have it connected to a pc it goes straight into calibration mode, that 100% does mean it's not detecting the pc.
My guess is that it's either the PC serial port setup (you did try 2 laptops but have they had OS patches since they were last know to have worked?), serial port driver or serial to stereo adapter.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer - Works standalone, can calibrate but not detected by laptop [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

By the way if yours has the blue flywheel, don’t use it as it has been recalled.

I don't use my computrainer anymore but I had one from 1993 with the blue flywheel and it was used for at least 15 years in a cold garage, in my basement, in a spare bedroom and it never spontaneously exploded. I suspect the recall was forced due to the lawsuit and these things don't and won't just spontaneously blow up from use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flackzo wrote:
Hi,
I have a Computrainer. I can use it in Standalone and I can calibrate it. If I start it even with audio cable in the EXT PC, it's starting in calibration mode. Look like head controller not detecting the cable or something, the computer is not detecting the computer trainer either. I have tried with another head controller, I have changed the DIN cable, I have changed the audio to USB FTDI cable, I have tried with the old laptop I was using before with Computrainer 3D, I have tried with a more recent laptop with Racer mate free version No way to get the head controller detect the Pro mode or the computer to detect. Any tips?
Thanks,
Al

I had the exact same thing happen about 2 months ago. I tried all the things you did. I had tried a new USB FTDA cable that didn't seem to resolve the problem. I ended up ordering another that was known to work with CTs and sure enough that solved the problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a very long time Computrainer user. It's still a solid device, though its communication protocols can be challenging these days.

The problem that you describe could arise from a couple of reasons. First, check your software to make sure that you've the correct port entered; without this value, the software won't detect the CT. Connect your CT with the stereo cable as you normally would do, and power on the CT. In Window's Device Manager, see if you have an entry for a virtual serial port; if so, enter this value in the software.

If you don't see a virtual serial port, then download the FTDI drivers from here and try again. Install the drivers with the CT disconnected from the PC, and then reconnect the CT and turn it on after the driver installs.

If this doesn't work, then I'd try another 1/8" stereo cable between the head unit and the PC; something of this sort from Amazon should work.

Resetting your FTDI drive sometimes helps; you do this by simply plugging in your FTDI adapter into another USB port. And if you still are not connecting to your PC, then I'd try a different FTDI stereo to USB adapter, something like this. These adapters can fail over time, which would prevent your CT from talking with your PC.

Like I said, the CT is a solid trainer still, and it's especially so when compared with other wheel-on trainer options. And software like PerfPRO CT Smart opens of the trainer to pretty much any Ant+ compliant training software.

Finally, you might try installing Zwift and connecting it to your CT. If I recall correctly, Zwift will scan port assignments automatically as part of the installation process. This might help narrow down possible software errors. You can do the same thing with PerfPRO, too, I just remembered, though you'd need to go into this application's setup menu, which is just a little more complicated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much the same thing in our house. We have more or less given up on our Computrainer(s) except for use as "dumb" trainer used with a Stages crankarm power meter equipped bike.

It was very frustrating to go down to the basement to ride only to find that it was again no longer communicating with the computer (Apple iMacs primarily). The last time it truly worked was with Zwift and a Windows computer.

I had planned to see if I could revive the system using my new Windows computer this winter but then our household acquired a Peloton Plus.

Good luck.
Last edited by: DavidK: Jan 1, 22 20:56
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer - Works standalone, can calibrate but not detected by laptop [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The issue was porosity during the casting of the flywheel. Overtime the small voids connected and the flywheel could explode. The later red flywheels it seems did not have this issue.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer - Works standalone, can calibrate but not detected by laptop [DonV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don,

I just bookmarked this page for when I will need it. Computrainer is still going strong with a 2011 MacBook Pro, but the new "all night" World on Zwift seems to cause problems with communication, and I get a lot of ghost bikes and drop outs. Hoping it's not the adaptor, but just the new world.

Take care and thank you!

Meg
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer - Works standalone, can calibrate but not detected by laptop [MeggieB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There have been problems with the updates around the time that Neoyoko was released, and some of them have been Windows related. Running Windows on a VM in MacOS obviously can work, but there's a lot of moving parts between the virtual instance of Windows and communication protocols through the machines physical ports. If you have access to a Windows PC, it would be worth testing to see if you have the same issues.

Very best on your endeavors!
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer - Works standalone, can calibrate but not detected by laptop [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the exact same thing happen about 2 months ago. I tried all the things you did. I had tried a new USB FTDA cable that didn't seem to resolve the problem. I ended up ordering another that was known to work with CTs and sure enough that solved the problem.[/quote]Hi Marcag can you send a link to the adapter that you found that worked?
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer - Works standalone, can calibrate but not detected by laptop [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
I had the exact same thing happen about 2 months ago. I tried all the things you did. I had tried a new USB FTDA cable that didn't seem to resolve the problem. I ended up ordering another that was known to work with CTs and sure enough that solved the problem.

Hi Marcag can you send a link to the adapter that you found that worked?
thanks[/quote]
I think this link will work

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/161542333198

FTDI USB RacerMate CompuTrainer Velotron Racermate One Computer Cable 6ft
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer - Works standalone, can calibrate but not detected by laptop [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
s5100e wrote:

thanks

FTDI USB RacerMate CompuTrainer Velotron Racermate One Computer Cable 6ft[/quote]
This definitely works. The key is making sure that the adapter is FTDI compliant and that you have the current drivers.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer - Works standalone, can calibrate but not detected by laptop [DonV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DonV wrote:
marcag wrote:
s5100e wrote:

thanks

FTDI USB RacerMate CompuTrainer Velotron Racermate One Computer Cable 6ft

This definitely works. The key is making sure that the adapter is FTDI compliant and that you have the current drivers.[/quote]

That's the one I use as well
Last edited by: jaretj: Jan 4, 22 18:43
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer - Works standalone, can calibrate but not detected by laptop [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have tested with a friend's computrainer. Confirmed no issue with Controller unit, but both FTDI cables are not working. I'll order another FTDI cable. Thanks for your input mcmetal and everyone who shared tips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did you find the cable that is known to work with the computrainer. I had a link but they were out. Maybe you have a better source. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer - Works standalone, can calibrate but not detected by laptop [runmick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runmick wrote:
Where did you find the cable that is known to work with the computrainer. I had a link but they were out. Maybe you have a better source. Thanks

ebay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s awesome. Thanks so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i had similar issue when connecting to a new laptop. It drove me crazy, Then I remembered that I needed to go into the computainer program and right near the load a course memnu this is an options tag. under options I needed to set which comm port was being used. Hope that helps
Quote Reply