Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Computrainer + Kinetic Rock and Roll.... possible?
Quote | Reply
Anyone have experience with one, the other, or both? I was looking at them online, and I was thinking... what is stopping you (other than possibly warranty issues) from removing the resistance unit from the Computrainer and mounting it on a Rock and Roll frame? Seems like if it works, you'd get a realistic, power driven trainer that alloys you to actually work the climbs, too.

But, I don't have a lot of hands on experience with either one (used a computrainer twice, and never seen the Rock and Roll in person), so maybe this isn't doable.

Any thoughts?

Re: Computrainer + Kinetic Rock and Roll.... possible? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's definitely doable, there are a couple videos on youtube showing the results. I'd have to search again to find them
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer + Kinetic Rock and Roll.... possible? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's definitely doable. Here's the link to the youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1MHOn4R3H

I read some posts from the guy who did it a while ago (not sure where). If I remember right he said he took it to a machine shop and had them create a bracket for him...cost something like $100 for the bracket/adapter (plus having the rock n roll frame and computraner of course).
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer + Kinetic Rock and Roll.... possible? [edcook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! The video link didn't work, but I did some searching and I think I found the one you were talking about.

Now I just have to pony up for both.... (someone buy my MTB!!)

Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I saw on the wattage boards, Richard Wharton sells the bracket and the Rock and Roll frame.

I emailed him but he was going out of town for a race so I have not gotten pricing yet.

http://www.onlinebikecoach.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer + Kinetic Rock and Roll.... possible? [gfzyriek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you ever get a reply from Wharton by any chance?
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer + Kinetic Rock and Roll.... possible? [flymax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi Everyone,
I am posting on behalf or Richard Wharton, he is a friend of mine.
Richard is pleased by the interest expressed in his solution to mounting a CT load unit to a Rock and Roll. He asked that I please tell you he is extremely busy right now with his coached clients and his studio at the Cycling Center of Dallas. He kindly asks that you please be patient and he should be able to respond to your requests on this project/device sometime after the holiday season. His studio is a busy, popular place right now, taking much of his attention for new programs and sessions.

thank you for your patience and interest,

on behalf of Rich,
Paul Smeulders

ErgVideo.com
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer + Kinetic Rock and Roll.... possible? [Paul Smeulders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyupdate yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer + Kinetic Rock and Roll.... possible? [boom808] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what about now?
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer + Kinetic Rock and Roll.... possible? [boom808] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am interested in this too. I have a computrainer currently, but don't like the stand much. If you can get the specifics of the bracket, my company has a machine shop that can knock a few out quickly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer + Kinetic Rock and Roll.... possible? [Paul Smeulders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't mean to be a nag, but thought I would see if there's been any update on this? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even better.. What about making a Lemond Revolution Hybrid... That would seem like the best of both worlds.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer + Kinetic Rock and Roll.... possible? [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool idea. We could try to convince Paul S to get a ErgVideo adaptation.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer + Kinetic Rock and Roll.... possible? [tridoc3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WTF? has anyone heard anything yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like an answer won't be coming from the guys who say they supposedly make them.

I'm going to try and get one figured out this fall. If I can, I'll make sure I post it here (the design, that is) for free. It is my understanding that this Wharton guy wanted $100-200 for the bracket.

Quote | Reply
Hey guys, it's me, Rich Wharton. I finally found my password and username.

Sorry if it's been so long. I need to be honest, though.

The adapters I built for the first two generations tended to fail and strip the threads out on the longer "L" screws over time. A dutchman in Dallas developed a really cool alternative for me, and I've generally had success with these adapters. They use Racermate's chrome parts, but they fit the screw holes of the Kinetics. Now, the ONLY real problem I've run in to with these has been when dealing with 650c and 24" wheels. This is what's keeping me from releasing them. This is a hobby for these guys, and while it's the way I make my living (running the studio at the Cycling Center Dallas - "Like" my FB page, gang!), it puts me at their mercy and between other projects. Furthermore, I have no idea how to describe what I want to a machinist who could pump these out by the dozens.

So I WANT to sell these to you, and no, I won't sell them for $200. That's ludicrous. I may be able to work on this project in August, but until then, I don't know how to help get these out to more people, since I'm using the ones I have, and I'm working full time to get people in to the studio.

That's really about it - I can't make any promises, and unless someone knows a local machinist in DFW area with time on their hands, it's just not a priority. I'll keep plugging, but I'm focused on coaching, redeveloping my website, finishing the studio with lights and more A/C, and ripping up the floorboards one more time to iron out some DIN cable problems. OH, and the guy that runs CTant+ lives about 6 blocks from the studio, and we may try to ANT+ the whole entire studio for GSC10 cadence and HR, and possibly work on auto-calibration between PM's and CT's, though that is WAYYYYYYYY out there on the list of priorities.

I will try to get a good camera and shoot some photos in good light, and maybe try to post them somewhere, if you want to try your hand at it. It's simple, yet it isn't. I know it would and could sell, and heck, I've even tried to get KINETIC to do something, to no avail.

Whatever you do, don't trust RM to do anything to update their hardware. I think that is the one single most frustrating thing I have to deal with on a daily basis. No backlights, no wireless cadence or HR (after $1500 in HR receivers bought from them, I don't trust them when they say, "We finally got it right this time."), and of course, no wireless connection to the PC. It should be easier than this. But whatever.

Finally, if you want to get the most out of your CT, go buy a couple of DVD's from ErgVideo and start planning for 2012. I use them year-round, have his entire collection on two PC's, and my clients are getting more bang per buck per minute through these than anything else. THey're absolutely amazing. They make RM's stuff, well, trite.

Richard Wharton, USAC L1 since 1997.
Technology, Application, Attention, Success
http://www.onlinebikecoach.com, http://www.cyclingcenterdallas.com
#whareagle, #leavewithnothingleft, #knowyournumbers, #numbersdontlie
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer + Kinetic Rock and Roll.... possible? [Whareagle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please keep me updated on your progress. I am interested in buying an adapter as well. I do have access to machine shop in Utah through work, but they are fairly swamped and I'm not sure how much spare time they have. I'm local to Dallas so if you get a few made I'd be first in line to snap one up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer + Kinetic Rock and Roll.... possible? [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any update on this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, i bit the bullet and bought the rock and roll stand, figured it couldn't be that hard to mount the CT.
Luckely i have a buddy who is a machinist and 30minutes after telling him what i need he made me brackets, i have them installed and will give it a test ride later today. So far it looks good and should work. I'll keep you updated if still interested! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer + Kinetic Rock and Roll.... possible? [lmar77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SOLID!!!

Sign me up and have him make me a set!!

Quote | Reply
I would be very interesting in hearing more about your CT/RnR frankentrainer. And if you're satisfied with the results I would be interested in getting an adapter from your machinist friend as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer + Kinetic Rock and Roll.... possible? [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:
Even better.. What about making a Lemond Revolution Hybrid... That would seem like the best of both worlds.

This! I have a Rock and Roll, recently sold my (once used) Revolution and will replace with the KICKR as my main trainer once it's released, but really, a Revolution or KICKR with the R&R's elastomer suspension system would seem to be the ultimate trainer (at least for in-home use, warming up at an event is still probably best left to a "normal" trainer that locks onto the skewer).

I would love to see someone cobble up a modified Revolution (and KICKR, when it's released). You really wouldn't need to cannibalize a R&R to do it, instead you would just need a base plate to attach the Rev/KICKR, some elastomer, and then another base plate with some stabilizing legs attached. I would imagine the trickiest part would be to rig up a jig that would get everything square, but I also think that "X"-shaped stabilizing bars (rather than the 2 of the R&R) with the little screw-type height adjusters like you see on some chair, couch or table legs, would be awesome to really dial in a perfect level trainer set-up (so your bike is not naturally leaning to one side or the other with the elastomer fairly "loose."

This would be awesome.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

alright, had my first ride on the CT/R&R combo yesterday and very happy with the outcome! The biggest difference is how much more comfortable i was.
Attached a couple pics to show what i've done. The adapters are currently made out of steel and really would need to be painted to fight rust.But was promised that i will get a new set made out of stainless as soon as he has some leftover metal laying around. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer + Kinetic Rock and Roll.... possible? [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
had the same thought...... i'm pretty sure that would be kickass!

Tim

Tim
Quote Reply

Prev Next