Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks
Quote | Reply
Ones that I get...

"Ironman isn't as tough as everyone claims... right?"
"You train when you feel like it... right? " {you don't actually have to sacrifice time}
"You aren't really swimming because you wore a wetsuit"
"You had a long day out there." {compared to everyone else}
"Your time isn't improving so why bother doing more"
"I am sure if I trained I'd finish one too"

Any others?
Last edited by: againagain: Nov 26, 15 19:52
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [againagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe from now on don't bring it up?
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chris948 wrote:

I don't... they bring it up to me.

A women, mother of my daughter's friend, also I never met her before comes up to me and says "so ironman isn't as tough as everyone claims it to be... right? !!"
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [againagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A good number of those are only condescending should you choose to interpret them that way.

Perhaps the lens through which you view the world has a bit of a bias in the direction of condescension from others?

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
A good number of those are only condescending should you choose to interpret them that way.

Perhaps the lens through which you view the world has a bit of a bias in the direction of condescension from others?

this. get over yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like the last commenter wrote, plus - get yourself some new pals. People saying stuff like that sound like assholes.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In fact, I don't think any of them actually meet the definition of "condescending".

They are just declining to tell you that finishing an ironman makes you awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [beckybeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love how people come in here looking for validation, only to find that they share the same sentiment. Maybe you need to surround yourself with more genuine friends and family. I get/got nothing but support and praise after doing major endurance events, and ST is the last place I would frequent seeking reassurance.

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shivermetimbers wrote:
I love how people come in here looking for validation, only to find that they share the same sentiment. Maybe you need to surround yourself with more genuine friends and family. I get/got nothing but support and praise after doing major endurance events, and ST is the last place I would frequent seeking reassurance.

Likewise.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shivermetimbers wrote:

Yup... family, friends, coworkers, doctors.

My first IM, I have completed a number since, coworkers placed bets on whether I'd finish or not.

The first time I went sub 4 hours on a marathon, my father-in-law ask me to join him in getting food.
I never brought up the marathon. He brought it up. He seemed aggravated by it and said a friend of his said it is not hard to go sub 4. He then told me that he could do it and beat me. (the most he ever ran at one time was 5 miles when he was young)

You are lucky your family is supportive !
Last edited by: againagain: Nov 26, 15 21:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
againagain wrote:
shivermetimbers wrote:

Yup... family, friends, coworkers, doctors.

My first IM, I have completed a number since, coworkers placed bets on whether I'd finish or not.

The first time I went sub 4 hours on a marathon, my father-in-law ask me to join him in getting food.
I never brought up the marathon. He brought it up. He seemed aggravated by it and said a friend of his said it is not hard to go sub 4. He then told me that he could do it and beat me. (the most he ever ran at one time was 5 miles when he was young)

You are lucky your family is supportive !

I actually find this genuinely sad. Your right, some of us our lucky with out support, but athletic accomplishments we are proud of shouldn't be belittled by friends and family irrespective of how hard or not others may or may not find them.

I often find people's reactions are the opposite, largely due to the distances involved in IM are still difficult to comprehend to some. I'm fairly modest when discussing it though, and I often find I have to up play what the other person believes is possible in reference to there own ability. To paraphrase your last quote 'if you trained you could do it'.

But like someone has already mentioned, this is the last place you should be coming to seek validation... ;)
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why isn't your time improving?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
againagain wrote:

I never bring up my 'athletic achievements' during a conversation let alone fish for confirmation of my awesomeness. When the subject does come up and people are interested (and/or in awe) I actually tell them that anyone in normal health can finish an Ironman if he or she trains for it and spends the hours. It's my experience that most people are amazed by the physical performance while the mental part is key.
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [Maca944] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In this place, anything over 4.30 for a half or 10 hours for an ironman, is considered "slow".

I actually think it is harder for those people going slower as they are out there for so much longer!

I know my hardest races have been those where I have completely blown up due to cramp, medical issues or an injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
againagain wrote:
"You train when you feel like it... right? " {you don't actually have to sacrifice time}

Any others?

Those three aren't that far of the truth, in my opinion. I make these remarks myself when people ask about ironman and training for one. As long as you don't get to OCD about them, they are quite managable IMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
againagain wrote:
Ones that I get...

Any others?
On the face of it these don't seem particularly condescending. In fact they all seem like legitimate questions or comments except the wetsuit one which is rather silly.
If someone was saying them in such a way as to undermine your pride in your achievements that would be rather unpleasant but the words themselves don't look like an issue to me.
I think this is probably more about the attitude of the people saying these things to you or how you're interpreting them rather than what's actually being said.
Be proud of your accomplishments regardless whether those around you are inclined to reinforce or undermine that pride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to remember we are a small niche within life. 99% of people couldn't care less and know very little about endurance sports. If you perceive others being negative towards you take it with a pinch of salt. You should do IM for *you* and no one else.

fulla wrote:
In this place, anything over 4.30 for a half or 10 hours for an ironman, is considered "slow".
Where's that? Boulder? :D
Nice brag BTW. ;-)
Last edited by: zamm0: Nov 27, 15 1:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds to me like the people around you don't hold you in high regard and therefore need to undermine you achievement of completing an Ironman. Many of the comments are true, but they wouldn't be the things I'd say to any friend who had just completed one. I might say them to an co-worker who brought the subject up at every opportunity to display their awesomeness.
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [Nobbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlon is for people who suck at all 3 sports, get used to the condescension from swimmers, cyclists and runners (and maybe a few other people who sit on their ass and think how easy it must be).
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [Nobbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear my finishers medals at work, doesn't everyone? Seriously, I have mixed thoughts on those types of comments, but at the end of the day I could care less what others say, I race for myself. Except for the few competing to win, this sport we play is a competition with ourselves.
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [wilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wilbert wrote:
againagain wrote:

Any others?

Those three aren't that far of the truth, in my opinion. I make these remarks myself when people ask about ironman and training for one. As long as you don't get to OCD about them, they are quite managable IMHO.

Completely agree. I tell people that Ironman isn't that tough and that just about anyone who is healthy can finish one if they wanted to.

Do Ironman for fun. Don't do it to make people think you're awesome - as most don't care and some will just be mean anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
againagain wrote:
Ones that I get...

Any others?
I'm not sure I find those incredibly condescending... and are the brackets your insinuations? In fact they sound pretty truthful outside of the wetsuit thing.

I digress, who cares, welcome to life... people make statements about this kind of thing in all facets of our lives. Your kids, your job, you wife, your car, your house, your education, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
againagain wrote:
chris948 wrote:

I don't... they bring it up to me.

A women, mother of my daughter's friend, also I never met her before comes up to me and says "so ironman isn't as tough as everyone claims it to be... right? !!"

Then maybe don't wear all your Ironman gear every time you leave the house...

"I swear I never bring it up..."

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty standard human behavior. It's the "Tall Poppy Syndrome". People knocking others down a peg so they don't feel inferior to them. Sad, but typical.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Last edited by: TriBodyboarder: Nov 27, 15 5:35
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sure hope that's not the OP.
Quote Reply

Prev Next